login

Author Topic: General Game News  (Read 256087 times)

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2380
    • Ronin Fox Trax
Re: General Game News
« Reply #1170 on: January 20, 2015, 07:24:27 AM »
GOG.com adds X-Wing Vs. TIE Fighter, the massively underrated X-Wing Alliance, Galactic Battlegrounds, Dark Forces, Battlefront II, and KOTOR II to their library!

http://www.gog.com/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_content=game_subject&utm_campaign=lucasfilm_second_wave

EEEEEEEEEE!

I played the hell out of X-Wing.  I played the hell out of Tie Fighter.  I never had X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter though!
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2052
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #1171 on: January 21, 2015, 06:31:24 PM »
X wing vs Tie Fighter primarily emphasized multi player.  X Wing Alliance was pretty awesome though.  Dark Forces is fun as hell, too.

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.

Offline Quirk

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 406
  • Second Quirk, same as the first
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #1172 on: January 21, 2015, 07:22:14 PM »
We had Dark Forces 2, with it's hilarious live-action/cgi hybrid cutscenes. I remember at one point Kyle Katarn gets shot in the back by a TIE FIGHTER and just gets up like somebody threw a rock at him.

Edit: FOUND IT
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 07:35:01 PM by Quirk »
QuipTracks VS Alone in the Dark is NOW AVAILABLE!

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2052
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #1173 on: January 21, 2015, 07:44:30 PM »
It pissed me off they turned Kyle Katarn into a god damn jedi.  They couldnt just leave him as a badass angry mercenary with a bunch of guns, no, he has to become a fuckin boring ass jedi.

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 986
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #1174 on: January 22, 2015, 11:11:31 AM »
Anyway, 3 more Lucasarts games just added: Rebellion, Empire at War and Rogue Squadron.

I forget if it was Rogue Squadron or Shadows of the Empire that had a mode with MST3k style commentary, including silhouettes, could be added to the game on subsequent playthroughs. Me? I'll be buying Rebellion, which was flawed but still fun.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #1175 on: January 22, 2015, 11:54:05 AM »
Anyway, 3 more Lucasarts games just added: Rebellion, Empire at War and Rogue Squadron.

I forget if it was Rogue Squadron or Shadows of the Empire that had a mode with MST3k style commentary, including silhouettes, could be added to the game on subsequent playthroughs. Me? I'll be buying Rebellion, which was flawed but still fun.

I remember seeing the video of that mode on YouTube, and it was Rogue Squadron.

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 713
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #1176 on: January 22, 2015, 03:25:37 PM »
GOG.com adds X-Wing Vs. TIE Fighter, the massively underrated X-Wing Alliance, Galactic Battlegrounds, Dark Forces, Battlefront II, and KOTOR II to their library!

http://www.gog.com/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_content=game_subject&utm_campaign=lucasfilm_second_wave

EEEEEEEEEE!

I played the hell out of X-Wing.  I played the hell out of Tie Fighter.  I never had X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter though!

I didn't even know there was an X-Wing vs TIE Fighter. I never did finish X-Wing. My computer at the time couldn't handle the trench scene. Got all the way to the end just to have to give up. Can't remember if I finished TIE Fighter or not. I just remember it got way too easy once you got the TIE Advanced. I know I pirated B-Wing from a friend, but I can't remember anything about it, other than wondering why on Earth they would name that ship the B-Wing.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #1177 on: January 23, 2015, 04:16:08 AM »

EEEEEEEEEE!

I didn't even know there was an X-Wing vs TIE Fighter. I never did finish X-Wing. My computer at the time couldn't handle the trench scene. Got all the way to the end just to have to give up. Can't remember if I finished TIE Fighter or not. I just remember it got way too easy once you got the TIE Advanced. I know I pirated B-Wing from a friend, but I can't remember anything about it, other than wondering why on Earth they would name that ship the B-Wing.

Don't remember a trench scene in X-Wing, any chance you mean Rogue Squadron?

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 713
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #1178 on: January 23, 2015, 05:43:41 AM »

EEEEEEEEEE!

Nope, it was X-Wing. Here it is on youtube:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/XOVG_xlq-fk" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/XOVG_xlq-fk</a>

I was getting like 3 FPS at this point.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #1179 on: January 23, 2015, 05:53:12 AM »

EEEEEEEEEE!

Nope, it was X-Wing. Here it is on youtube:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/XOVG_xlq-fk" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/XOVG_xlq-fk</a>

I was getting like 3 FPS at this point.

Wow, now I do remember that, and while I know I beat that level I have no idea how.

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 986
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #1180 on: January 24, 2015, 10:18:34 AM »
Some sequel-ish news this week.

Firstly, the remastered version of Grim Fandango should be out next week.

Next, Sid Meier announced Sid Meier's Spaceships, a space based turn based strategy game, loosely set in the Beyond Earth timeline.

Lastly, Brian Fargo of InExile announced a sequel today- Bard's Tale IV. Bard's Tale III came out in 1990, IIRC. (1988 actually. )

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3113
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #1181 on: January 24, 2015, 08:12:58 PM »
Bowser Amiibos are showing up at some Toys R Us like a month before the street date. I got mine already! :^)

Offline The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4344

Offline The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4344
« Reply #1183 on: January 27, 2015, 04:18:14 PM »
Also, Mega Man amiibo unveiled:

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 199
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #1184 on: January 27, 2015, 07:25:24 PM »

Actually, unless they also did it for Rogue Squadron, the MST3K mode is originally from Rebel Assault II.  Still have it, but it's been awhile since I've seen it.  One of the best Easter Eggs in game history.  At least in RA2's mode, they disable the voice acting and put up silly subtitles, while C3P0, Darth Vader, and R2-D2 sit in front of the action.  Through EVERY...SINGLE...CUTSCENE.  And it's all hilarious.

"Look, sir!  I have new boots!"
*Radio static* "Did you..." *static* "Hear the one..." *static* "Agnosic, Dyslexic Insomniac?" *static*
"Ok, son, listen to me.  I'm the old guy."

Very few people can make fun of their own product.  Even fewer can make it more fun than the original game.

EDIT: In fact, the code to enable it is OVRES.  Think about it.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 07:27:29 PM by SJP »
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.