Author Topic: What's everyone playing?  (Read 645188 times)

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 536
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
Re: What's everyone playing?
« Reply #7020 on: August 10, 2019, 01:08:52 PM »
And that's fine, but at least give me the option to skip the tutorial. I understand why people need it, but I just want to play the game and figure things out on my own.

The Contra anniversary collection and Castlevania Anniversary collection are absolutely mandatory for any retro gamer, and buying physical copies of all the games in those collections off places like Ebay I guarantee you is going to run several hundred bucks. Now part of me would LOVE to be a purist, but I'm more pragmatic and practical these days so I'm more than happy with just having digital releases.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1513
« Reply #7021 on: August 11, 2019, 04:44:43 AM »
A while ago a friend was telling me that the mod Vivecraft was pretty fun (VR Minecraft), but I hadn’t bothered to play. Until yesterday. And wow, it’s exactly what I want from VR. The nostalgia of Minecraft immediately floods back, and is enhanced by the sense that I am finally actually there, after having imagined what it would be like so many times.  Minecraft, to me, is all about exploring pretty new places that no one has ever seen before, and exploring and experiencing a place is what VR does best.

It’s the first VR game that I could see myself spending a lot of time in, and I am excited to dive back in. Found a great plateau to build a house on next to a mountain. Still in the resource gathering stage, but so far I’m too scared to go down in the caves. I remember the caves being scary and filled with monsters where you’re scared that you’re going to lose all the stuff you’ve collected, but that fear is doubled in VR. Now the primal fear of being in a dark space with creepy things making creepy noises really kicks in. Going to really need to prepare myself before I venture into the deep.

Online CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 721
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #7022 on: August 11, 2019, 04:59:24 PM »
On a whim, because some stuff was on sale in the PlayStation store I picked up Witcher 3. I started playing it and... 10 minutes later I was grimacing during the fucking tutorial. God dammit back in the old days, even in the 90's I did not need a tutorial! I'd figure out all this shit on my own! I WOULD have bypassed it but the goddamn game wouldn't let me. 10 seconds later I closed the game and deleted it.

Turn around and re-install Witcher 3 RIGHT NOW! I spent 200 hours on that game. That's the sort of time I usually only spend on Roguelikes/lites or fighting games. Best RPG I have played in years. Normally I would agree with you. Most of my favorite games of the last decade have been retro and/or indie games. But The Witcher 3 was absurdly good.

Online CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 721
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #7023 on: August 11, 2019, 05:30:48 PM »
Oh, and by "Tutorial", are you referring to White Orchard? Yeah, that does take quite a while. But there's also a fair amount of plot relevant stuff there.

Just don't do what I did and sell your starting armor and then forget where you sold it. How was I supposed to know it was important :P

Offline Iron Curtain

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 164
    • My website full o' stuff.
« Reply #7024 on: August 13, 2019, 10:14:23 AM »
I've converted to DRM-free gaming on my PC (though I haven't abandoned Steam as much as deprecated it), and some games I bought on GOG were the Journeyman Project trilogy. Pegasus Prime is a remake of the first game and the other two, Buried in Time and Legacy of Time are exactly the same as they were in the 1990's. There are other games, including adventure games, that have to do with time travel. But for me, these games hold the most charm, even more so than Day of the Tentacle. I'm currently playing the third game Legacy of Time. When I played it back in 1999, I thought it was the weakest of the three, but 20 years later I regard it as complementary to the others and very nicely fitting.

Online The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4407
« Reply #7025 on: August 13, 2019, 10:27:25 AM »
I've converted to DRM-free gaming on my PC (though I haven't abandoned Steam as much as deprecated it), and some games I bought on GOG were the Journeyman Project trilogy. Pegasus Prime is a remake of the first game and the other two, Buried in Time and Legacy of Time are exactly the same as they were in the 1990's. There are other games, including adventure games, that have to do with time travel. But for me, these games hold the most charm, even more so than Day of the Tentacle. I'm currently playing the third game Legacy of Time. When I played it back in 1999, I thought it was the weakest of the three, but 20 years later I regard it as complementary to the others and very nicely fitting.

If you don't mind adventure games with anthropomorphic animal characters, Inherit the Earth: Quest for the Orb is good and somehow DRM Free, despite being on Steam.  They even found the original code, so it runs on modern computers without being attached to an emulator.

Offline Iron Curtain

• Big Montana
« Reply #7026 on: August 13, 2019, 01:08:38 PM »

If you don't mind adventure games with anthropomorphic animal characters, Inherit the Earth: Quest for the Orb is good and somehow DRM Free, despite being on Steam.  They even found the original code, so it runs on modern computers without being attached to an emulator.

How can I play it DRM-free separate from Steam?

Online The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4407
« Reply #7027 on: August 13, 2019, 01:18:09 PM »

There should be a GoG version.  The Steam version really only uses Steam for distribution purposes.

Offline Iron Curtain

• Big Montana
« Reply #7028 on: August 13, 2019, 05:07:01 PM »

There should be a GoG version.  The Steam version really only uses Steam for distribution purposes.

I just bought it on GoG. Thanks!

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 536
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #7029 on: August 14, 2019, 11:36:54 AM »
Since I'm on a strict budget now I'm 100% not getting anymore games until sometime next year. I admit I am halfway interested in Star Wars Jedi Fallen order, but I'm afraid the load times are going to be crazy long and I just never had any stomach for load times over 10 seconds or so(That's probably why MGS 4 drove me effing crazy). The only titles coming out next year I am halfway interested in are that Avengers game and of course the Final Fantasy VII remake.