login

Author Topic: Best Bowie album?  (Read 6668 times)

Offline Andrew1911

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 0
Re: Best Bowie album?
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2007, 09:37:28 AM »
Rebel Rebel, Diamond Dogs, and 1984 are the only good songs on that album.
Hey now, didn't I just say that Big Brother was a cool song?  :P

And let's not forget the Chant of the Ever Circling Skeletal Family (or whatever it's called, lol).

But I really do like that Big Brother song... seriously  8)

I don't like Big Brother or Chant. The rest of the songs are forgettable except for Rebel Rebel, Diamond Dogs, and 1984.

Offline BEERxTaco

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 25
  • Does this bug you? I'm not touching you...
    • BEERx
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2007, 06:56:25 AM »
aww crap, my opinion is wrong again  :-[
"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son"
-Dean Wormer, Animal House R.I.P.

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 3
  • May the Porkins be with you.
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2007, 06:57:39 AM »

LOL :D

Offline Teaflax

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2007, 06:19:37 PM »

You're a Springsteen fan. Get used to it.

;)
Fear destroys. - Jon Anderson

Offline BEERxTaco

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 25
  • Does this bug you? I'm not touching you...
    • BEERx
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2007, 07:52:46 PM »

You're a Springsteen fan. Get used to it.

;)

lol, touche!

Actually all my deep musical feelings involve music that came out before 1985... seems like after that most people I liked didn't put out anything to keep me as a fan. I totally lost interest in Springsteen after Born in the USA was released and have had no interest in any of his stuff since. Todd Rundgren, ditto... although I like the remixes of Beatles songs that keep coming out, lol.

I like the old stuff. I guess I'm old...   :)
"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son"
-Dean Wormer, Animal House R.I.P.

Offline davo

• Magneto-cent Member
  • are you asking for a challlllenge?!!!!1!1!one!!1!
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2007, 04:25:49 PM »
Approximate order:
Low
Space Oddity
The Man Who Sold the World
Hunky Dory
Station To Station
Outside
Young Americans
Pinups

Ziggy and Diamond Dogs are the two most overrated releases in his catalogue, closely followed by Aladdin Sane.

Wait, people think rate Diamond Dogs highly? Wha? Ziggy Stardust is one of his best. Consistantly great songs with no bad song. But Space Oddity? Wha?
LOL...from one bowie nut to another: you know people pick that album for the song, not the album as a whole..because as a whole it's not great. 

hunky dory was his first great album,imo. he came into his own on that one.

1 ziggy stardust
2 low
3 hunky dory

+ I'll give credit to the underrated:
scary monsters
station to station

Offline Teaflax

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2007, 06:13:45 PM »
LOL...from one bowie nut to another: you know people pick that album for the song, not the album as a whole..because as a whole it's not great. 

I'd thank you to give me more credit than that when I have specifically pointed out the tunes that are all better than the title track. Again; Wild-Eyed Boy from Freecloud is one of Bowie's ten best songs ever. Far better than most of the tracks he's known for, and Unwashed and Somewhat Slightly Dazed, Cygnet Committe and An Occasional Dream are certainly better than any single track off of Ziggy Stardust.
Fear destroys. - Jon Anderson

Offline WouTar

• Big Montana
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2007, 05:39:28 AM »
I love the fact that Bowie still makes albums... and good ones at that. (Good not great though.)

Offline zaxxon25

• Sparkles in Sunlight
    • BoC Thurs
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2007, 03:41:58 PM »
Hunky Dory tops the charts for me, Heroes a close second.  I credit Heroes as my mind-opening musical experience in my youth, I can still remember dropping the needle expecting a glossy wall of noise like the title track and being treated to "Beauty and the Beast" and "Joe The Lion" ... then angrily flipping over the record only to face "V2 Schneider."  But repeated spins destroyed my musical preconceptions and opened me up to a whole 'nother way of appreciating creativity.

Offline davo

• Magneto-cent Member
  • are you asking for a challlllenge?!!!!1!1!one!!1!
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2007, 10:12:47 PM »

I'd thank you to give me more credit than that when I have specifically pointed out the tunes that are all better than the title track. Again; Wild-Eyed Boy from Freecloud is one of Bowie's ten best songs ever. Far better than most of the tracks he's known for, and Unwashed and Somewhat Slightly Dazed, Cygnet Committe and An Occasional Dream are certainly better than any single track off of Ziggy Stardust.

didn't mean you in particular. didn't meant to offend.

that being said, what do you mean by "better?"  most certainly you don't mean certainly better! (heheh)   Ziggy Stardust is the best glam rock record ever written,imo.  you may not like the more straight forward rock stuff,but that doesn't make it worse that bowie's more experimental stuff.   
  comparing different eras of bowie isn't like talking about the stones. he's completely & radically changed so many times that it's almost like comparing 10 different bands from different genres.

Offline dignan

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • If Val's happy, I'm happy!
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2007, 12:00:23 PM »
I like Hunky Dory.

Offline timechaser

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2007, 06:19:07 PM »
I like Hunky Dory.
Definitely the best I've heard. Space oddity gets old after a while, especially cygnet committee and freecloud, but its my second favorite.
He split Robin's arrow in twain!!

Offline 6079SmithW

• Big Montana
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2007, 11:35:04 PM »
Wait, people think rate Diamond Dogs highly? Wha? Ziggy Stardust is one of his best. Consistantly great songs with no bad song. But Space Oddity? Wha?

Both Rebel Rebel and Diamond Dogs are pretty much bona fide Rock classics, so I keeop seeing DD as a supposed essential Bowie album. As for Ziggy, apart from Five Years and Starman, it's just plain rock n roll, a considerable step down from everything Bowie'd done before that. Space Oddity contains the title track, Unwashed and Somewhat Slightly Dazed, Cygnet Committee, An Occasional Dream and not least The Wild Eyed Boy From Freecloud all of which roundly lift it up as one of Bowie's best - especially when compared to all that faux Rock stuff.

Doesn't mean the album is any good. Rebel Rebel, Diamond Dogs, and 1984 are the only good songs on that album. That's not a very good criticism. Ziggy's an excellent album. Just because it isn't Bowie going from genre to genre doesn't make it a bad album. Space Oddity is still one of his worst. I'd say it's tied with Young Americans as his worst.
Huh, Young Americans is one of the most relistenable to me. It's also one of the only ones I ever hear on its own, though, normally I listen to several of his albums in a row, so I can never keep which one is which straight.

Which one is Life on Mars on? That's pretty much the best Bowie song.

Offline Moon Blast

• Blue Beer Drinker
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2007, 06:22:21 PM »
Let's Dance is cool from what i remember hearing.

I like his newer experimental work like Outside but not exactly new but one of my personal favorites. It's dark and i like dark music but i am by no means a depressed person.        ;)

Offline TorgoTheWhite

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Nobody gets me - I'm the wind, baby!
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2007, 07:48:31 PM »
I'm a severely depressed person!   :'(  Thank god for Effexor.

At any rate, Hunky Dory is my fav.  In fact, I'll take any 70s Bowie record, love 'em all.  (The Eno years are great too, can't remember if they're late 70s or early 80s.)  I heard "Kooks" at a bar I played a show at recently, blew me away.  I've never heard that except when I listen to the record.  Sublime.
How dumb are you, Uncle Dad? This pipe's filled with manure! - Attack of the Giant Leeches