Author Topic: Blu Ray version longer?  (Read 3289 times)

Offline Blaine

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 8
Blu Ray version longer?
« on: August 25, 2009, 11:18:30 AM »
Just curious to see if anyone else has synced the Blu Ray version of the movie successfully. I didn't post in Technical Support because I'm not really asking for help... I've synced half a dozen movies with no problems till now.

The BluRay release seems to be about 10 seconds longer than the standard DVD release. I've been trying and trying to get them to sync. I actually timeshifted (changed the tempo so the track is 10 seconds longer) the rifftrack so that the first and the last Disembaudio lines line up perfectly, but the ones in the very middle are off by a noticable amount.

The only thing I can think of is that the video is actually longer. It's a non-linear shifting. The shifts start small and grow in the middle then contract again on the way out. It gets pear shaped in the middle.

First line of dialog is at 0:00:21.5 and the first ending credit (directed by) appears at 1:54:10.

Just curious. I can probably find the standard DVD for $2 somewhere now.

Offline Blaine

• Schnappi Supporter
Re: Blu Ray version longer?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 09:10:48 PM »
Got the regular DVD, ripped it an all went swimmingly.

First dialog is a 21.5 seconds and first credit is exactly at 1:54:00. Ten seconds earlier than the Blu Ray.

One day I'll compare them side by side to see where the difference occurs. But truth is I don't have the strength right now!

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 768
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 09:16:41 PM »
Got the regular DVD, ripped it an all went swimmingly.

What do you use for ripping? this one gave a lot of people a lot of headaches when ripping.

Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline Blaine

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 09:39:37 PM »
MacTheRipper then encoded with Handbrake.
Just used Constant Quality set to about 75%.
Outputted to MKV with MP3 as audio and Xvid as video.

I hit a few dummy vobs, I just chose "Pad" in MacTheRipper and... no problems.

Just for the hell of it I played them side by side, they stayed in sync for almost 15 minutes. At that point one of them probably should have drifted noticeably, although I was just eyeballing it.

Offline carlobee

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 10:25:54 PM »
i did not know that was the case. ???

Offline Locuststakethesky

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 121
  • Just because you CAN edit doesn't mean you should.
    • Book of Face
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 07:51:36 PM »
I just did this one HD from a Blu Ray rip and had the same problem.  I actually, painstakingly, went through and added/deleted time so it should line up fine.  I thought about adjusting the speeds, but it just didn't seem to be a linear shift.  Very strange.

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 768
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 07:57:55 PM »
I didn't have any problems with mine.  Granted I downloaded it so maybe mine was from an iTunes rip or something. I can't remember if it was taken directly from bd...
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com