login

Author Topic: Marvel Comics: Civil War  (Read 5852 times)

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 3
  • May the Porkins be with you.
Re: Marvel Comics: Civil War
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2007, 10:12:26 PM »
...pages being soaked with the ink of a massive greed-induced fangasm.

Eeewwww... That line made me throw up a little bit in my mouth. I never wanna' hear the words "soaked" and "fangasm" together in the same sentence again, okay everyone?

In psuedo-related news: I picked up the new animated Iron Man movie. It was kinda' fun and entertaining. And, after having Iron Man shoved down my throat as a result of this Civil War craptacular, i've decided to check out the character in comics. Unfortunately, i think he's now featured in about 10 different monthly titles~ Damn you Marvel, you greedy bastards!

-Rude

Iron Man was cool when he was a Howard Hughes-type iconoclast rather than an arrogant tool of the state. But I imagine they'll have his character back to status quo in time for the big movie next summer. Read Warren Ellis and Adi Granov's "Extremis" for a good look at the real Tony Stark. Sweet art, too:
« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 10:17:21 PM by Sharktopus »

Offline starfighter

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2007, 10:28:21 PM »
     Iron Man has had to have his origin revised several times over the years just to preserve Marvel's desire to reflect the changing years while the characters don't age.  Tony Stark developing his armor in Viet Nam in the early years of the war would have him on the high side of sixty if he aged normally. The same problem is built into the FF with Reed and Ben having originally fought in WW2, so adjusting the origins makes a certain amount of sense.  But I wasn't too crazy of the Iron Man toon establishing that he'd built several suits of armor before his injury. Oh well, the origin will probably be different with Robert Downey, too.
    The more Marvel and DC try to make me buy multiple titles of the same character, the more I seem to be deciding that I don't need any of them.  I just wish DC would let me pick out what Showcases to release. I'm waiting for a combined Detective Chimp/Rex the Wonder Dog volume. 500+ pages of Carmine Infantino and Gil Kane artwork!!

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2007, 10:51:55 PM »
     Iron Man has had to have his origin revised several times over the years just to preserve Marvel's desire to reflect the changing years while the characters don't age.  Tony Stark developing his armor in Viet Nam in the early years of the war would have him on the high side of sixty if he aged normally. The same problem is built into the FF with Reed and Ben having originally fought in WW2, so adjusting the origins makes a certain amount of sense.  But I wasn't too crazy of the Iron Man toon establishing that he'd built several suits of armor before his injury. Oh well, the origin will probably be different with Robert Downey, too.
    The more Marvel and DC try to make me buy multiple titles of the same character, the more I seem to be deciding that I don't need any of them.  I just wish DC would let me pick out what Showcases to release. I'm waiting for a combined Detective Chimp/Rex the Wonder Dog volume. 500+ pages of Carmine Infantino and Gil Kane artwork!!

Big ups for Bobo, the Detective Chimp!

I believe the live-action movie's origin for Iron Man will be remarkably similar to the original comic, simply exchangin Afghanistan for Vietnam. Jon Favreau seems intent to use as much of the comics as he can can, within reason, and I thank him for that. Thanks Jon. You're so money.

Offline Rude

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Forum Czar
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2007, 11:28:46 PM »
Quote from: Sharktopus
...rather than an arrogant tool of the state.

...  ::) ...

-Rude
"I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."<a href="http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3</a>

Offline BobEvil

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2007, 04:52:39 AM »
Yanno, I personally quite enjoyed this series. I remember reading issue 1 and being disappointed about the wait for issue 2 as my biggest complaint. I thought it was exciting and the hero vs. hero dynamic really interested me. Hell, I'm a huge Spider-Man fan (like 300 issues of the web slinging S.O.B over the years) and I found his unmasking to be an interesting twist. So far, they seem to want to stick with all that's happened. Spidey's taking a huge hit, so is Cap...and for those who don't know....
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm looking forward to these new changes. Will I be buying any of the new books? Nah, sticking with my Spider-Man titles, New Avengers, and of course, picking up Fallen Son.
"And when I get angry, things begin to happen!"

Offline AmazingThor

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 14
  • Spam fed the Russian army
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2007, 05:25:34 AM »
Yanno, I personally quite enjoyed this series. I remember reading issue 1 and being disappointed about the wait for issue 2 as my biggest complaint. I thought it was exciting and the hero vs. hero dynamic really interested me. Hell, I'm a huge Spider-Man fan (like 300 issues of the web slinging S.O.B over the years) and I found his unmasking to be an interesting twist. So far, they seem to want to stick with all that's happened. Spidey's taking a huge hit, so is Cap...and for those who don't know....
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm looking forward to these new changes. Will I be buying any of the new books? Nah, sticking with my Spider-Man titles, New Avengers, and of course, picking up Fallen Son.
It's about frickin' time Aunt May got it. She was in her 70s when the series started so she's gotta be like a 100!

Offline BobEvil

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2007, 05:38:47 AM »
Yeah, I never got how comic time works. Technically, Spider-Man should be in his late fifties at this point. And let's not forget...it's not time that got ol' May, so really, she could have kept on going! And since I don't know (and don't want any spoilers...) what's going to happen, she could technically still survive....or be retconned back in to the story in another 4 years.
"And when I get angry, things begin to happen!"

Offline starfighter

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2007, 08:57:06 AM »
   They've tried to kill May Parker before but it never stuck.  That's one of the problems with reading Marvels for as long as I have.  I've seen Professor X, Magneto, Cap, Reed Richards, Wonder Man, etc die several times so I wouldn't have gotten all that worked up about Cap's current death.  I've been looking at the eBay auctions of Captain America #25 and thinking there are going to be a lot of disappointed buyers in a couple months when Steve is back and Frank Castle has to fight him for some reason.
    I was running my comic shop back when Superman's death hit on a slow news day and that delivery day was the single most insane day I ever had in the business.  At least DC did the smart thing and did a quick trade paperback of the seven-issue storyline and let us know about it so I was able to let people know that they could read the whole story soon.  Didn't help with the speculator-types but I never worried about them since I knew whatever I sold them they would be back in six months or less, expecting me to buy back at inflated prices.

Offline Road_Element

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 51
  • The Names Servo, Tom Servo
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2007, 10:16:31 PM »
Personally i dont care these big summer events. Mainly because they always make these big changes. Which means they either have to kill off tons of characters like Infinite Crisis with Superboy and Wally West (aka The Flash). Or with Civil War where they turn characters like Iron man & Mr Fantastic into totally jerks or Unmask Spider-man or kill off Captain America.. No offence but like my Super-Heros to be like the way i let anyone who borrow my car. They better bring it back looking good and not screwed up with dents and damages. Which is why alot of the times i wind up reading older comics.

Offline SaucyRossy

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2007, 11:21:13 PM »
I am sorry but change is good in mainstream comics. You can't justify having the FF never grow or develop in character because you want it the way it was. Personally I can see why Reed felt the way he did, it was explained multiple times that he was able to see in his opinion that this was the only way the human race wouldn't be destroyed.....in his mind the end justified the means. While I am on the side of Cap and the anti registration crew I can see Iron Man and Reed's points....

You know who came out as the main badass of this? Definitely Luke Cage....he is awesome.  The comic where he tells Jessica to take his baby to Canada and stays at home and there is a knock on his door right at midnight when the registration goes into effect is so great.

www.rifftraxfan.com - Check out Gammers RiffTrax Fan page!

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5185
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2007, 07:25:26 AM »
I think change is good and I like the new direction of the Marvel Universe, but my problem was that I was sort of promised good arguments for both sides and for the most part Iron Man came off as a villain.  If he came off as "The Man", that's OK because then there would be much better reasons for people to both side with and against him, but only a few books paint him in a sympathetic light and any good arguments are undercut by his dickweed nature.

As for Iron Man's own book: I haven't been reading it, but I think that the most logical direction right now is to make him more like Citizen Kane: a man who was too proud, too arrogant, made too many compromises (or too few, depending on how you look at it) and have it so the readers flip flop between caring about him and supporting his ideas but finding his executions questionable.

As for death, Even Joe Q admitted that Cap will probably return, but I think they killed him because both the liberal and conservative readers wanted Cap to be theirs: Conservatives wanted solving Iraq and liberals wanted him kicking out Bush.  I think Marvel wanted the character to take a break from the current political climate.  I don't know if I agree with that, but however you want to roll.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3212
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2007, 10:16:24 AM »
Civil War did what any good Summer-Event should do. It opened up some awesome storytelling for a lot of different characters.

And what surprised ME was that even though Iron Man often looked like the bad guy, he ended up WINNING and his ideas have been nothing but beneficial to the Marvel Universe since the war was over (If you don't count ol' Cap.)  So now Iron Man gets to experience complete victory plus the guiltiest of guilts.

But Civil War is so one-month-ago. Bring on World War Hulk! :^)

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2007, 10:55:48 AM »
You know who came out as the main badass of this? Definitely Luke Cage....he is awesome.  The comic where he tells Jessica to take his baby to Canada and stays at home and there is a knock on his door right at midnight when the registration goes into effect is so great.

I was thinking about this, and the only man in the Marvel U that comes anywhere close to deserving up Cap's mantle (for the interim) in Cage. Think about it.

Offline Hebs

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 54
  • Peachy keen!
    • Say Hello
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2007, 11:14:43 AM »
I was thinking about this, and the only man in the Marvel U that comes anywhere close to deserving up Cap's mantle (for the interim) in Cage. Think about it.

I'm so glad something finally happens - it seems like so many books come out with just the same dialogue re-hashed over and over, and the same people are banged up but pretty much okay, but finally - there are consequences.

But just so we all know who the toughest guy in the series is -  this is a little gift to the board - from the man himself. 
.... t w i t t e r  //  b l o g  ....

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2007, 11:29:16 AM »
Say whatever you want about Brian Bendis, but his man-crush for Luke Cage has been unequivocably good for Marvel. Just don't screw it up, Tyrese.