Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 146319 times)

Offline bettertomorrowamy

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 12
  • Get this lazy Manc twat an Emmy!
Re: The beer topic.....
« Reply #75 on: November 17, 2008, 10:35:18 AM »
Strawberry is good.
On timeout

Offline TeamRAD

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 103
  • RAAAADDDDD!
« Reply #76 on: November 17, 2008, 12:55:14 PM »
But I am sure that you can agree that Miller Chill is the work of the devil.

I am a devout follower of Capital Brewery (New Glarus & Point to a lesser extent) but really like the Chill. It's the only macrobrew I touch if you don't count the Old Style I consume while at Wrigley Field.

Miller Chill *thumbs-up*

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Einstein

Offline Cibernético II

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 0
  • Vadinho says: YOU are the Pumaman.
    • My Space
« Reply #77 on: December 14, 2008, 09:26:10 AM »
Yesterday I bought a six pack of Leinenkugel's Fireside Nut Brown.

It's a winter seasonal. It was good. But I don't think I like it as much as other nut brown ales I've tried. Seemed a little bit too hoppy for a nut brown. Or maybe they're all about that hop level and I just hadn't noticed before.
I really do like pie.

Offline mattwnelson

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 544
    • Catbeard the Pirate!
« Reply #78 on: December 14, 2008, 09:34:57 AM »
Ah, self-replying. 

Anyway, it's that time of year for Winter seasonals.  Anyone got any good stories? 

Widmer's Brrr is an excellent winter seasonal. I bought some right before I got a nasty cold and couldn't enjoy it for almost a month (the sinus part held on forever, ensuring that I couldn't taste things properly). Once I was able to, though... Oh, so tasty. It's well worth looking at.

M@

Offline SmilinJackRoss

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 5
    • Heated Seats iRiffs
« Reply #79 on: December 16, 2008, 01:04:48 PM »
Yesterday I bought a six pack of Leinenkugel's Fireside Nut Brown.

It's a winter seasonal. It was good. But I don't think I like it as much as other nut brown ales I've tried. Seemed a little bit too hoppy for a nut brown. Or maybe they're all about that hop level and I just hadn't noticed before.

Eh.  I really didn't care for the Fireside Nut Brown, it's too chocolately.  The first swig, I was like "yeah, not bad".  By the end of that bottle, I was going, "ick."  but my wife loves it, she says it tastes like Count Chocula....like that's a good thing.

Speaking of nut browns, I'm brewing a "honey nut brown" right now.  I plan on bottling it in the next day or two.
Heated Seats iRiffs: Touched by an Angel | Marked for Death | Runaway | Heated Shorts (shorts collection)

Offline SmilinJackRoss

• Mayor of Nilbog
    • Heated Seats iRiffs
« Reply #80 on: January 05, 2009, 06:02:23 PM »
A couple of new wintery favorites:

Capital Winter Skal
and
HE'BREW Messiah Bold

It pays to have a BYOB holiday party, you get to reap the rewards of leftovers.

And after three weeks of carbonation, I just cracked open my first Honey Brown Ale that I brewed last month.  It's very nice, smooth, and creamy.  I think it needs another week or so to carbonate a bit more, but I'm very happy with it.  Luckily it's good, because I already gave away 1/3rd of the batch as christmas presents.  ;)
Heated Seats iRiffs: Touched by an Angel | Marked for Death | Runaway | Heated Shorts (shorts collection)

Offline SmilinJackRoss

• Mayor of Nilbog
    • Heated Seats iRiffs
« Reply #81 on: May 07, 2009, 10:55:51 AM »
So last night I go into my favorite mega-liquor store, Woodman's, and what do I see before me on a display case right as I walk in?

Fat Tire.

22 oz bottles.  For sale.  Just sitting out for anyone to purchase.  I stand there, blinking & slack-jawed. 

For those who don't know, this stuff is impossible to get if you're not in the Colorado area, but it's one of the most popular microbrews out there.  I have friends who drive out west once in a while, and they make explicit plans to stop in Colorado and buy cases of this stuff on their way through.

And now it's being sold in Madison.  It even has a custom Wisconsin label that states "Now legally cruising into America's Dairyland."

It's just.....awesome.

• Mr Bungle
« Reply #82 on: May 07, 2009, 10:57:59 AM »
We've been able to get Fat Tire in Nebraska since 2001.
On timeout

Offline SmilinJackRoss

• Mayor of Nilbog
    • Heated Seats iRiffs
« Reply #83 on: May 07, 2009, 11:00:12 AM »
They sell it down here in rural TN. It's not -that- hard to get.

And honestly, I think it's really overrated. You live in WISCONSIN for god's sake!

Offhand, better than Fat Tire and in Wisconsin are:
Point
Lake Front
Berghoff
New Glarus
anything at the Angelic Brewing Company
anything at the Great Dane

...come on, dude. :)

I didn't mean to imply it was my ultimate favorite, I was just super surprised to see it...it is an awesome beer.

But off your list, Point does not belong among those other craft brews.  Come on, dude.  ;)

• Mr Bungle
« Reply #84 on: May 07, 2009, 11:01:05 AM »
In Kearney, NE there is a micro-brewery that everyone should go to.  It's called Thunderhead.  It's the best beer I've ever had.  They use some special process that uses nitrogen-ated bubbles instead of carbonation---I don't remember the technical aspects of it---but it makes the bubbles really tiny.
On timeout

Offline SmilinJackRoss

• Mayor of Nilbog
    • Heated Seats iRiffs
« Reply #85 on: May 07, 2009, 11:01:49 AM »

Yeah, but they're your neighbors. 

And do you get a custom label?   *neener neener*

• Mr Bungle
« Reply #86 on: May 07, 2009, 11:04:12 AM »

Yeah, but they're your neighbors. 

And do you get a custom label?   *neener neener*

Well it's still hundreds of miles away from eastern Nebraska, and like Imrahil said it's not really that good.  People used to ask for FLAT Tire at work all the time, so maybe that's why I don't like it.
On timeout

Offline SmilinJackRoss

• Mayor of Nilbog
    • Heated Seats iRiffs
« Reply #87 on: May 07, 2009, 11:11:01 AM »
It must be the whole "absence makes the heart grow fonder".  If there's something you can't get locally, but really like, it can take on a mythical quality, and is amped up higher than it would be if we could drive down the street and buy it whenever.

It was just so unexpected seeing there in front of me.  I looked a bit deeper, and read that it just went on sale here this week.  So it truly is Brand New to everybody here in the region.

Offline SmilinJackRoss

• Mayor of Nilbog
    • Heated Seats iRiffs
« Reply #88 on: May 07, 2009, 11:13:07 AM »
Really? I've never seen it outside of Wisconsin, and it has several excellent beers, including Point Amber, which is probably the best Amber beer made. Point "Special" (= regular Point) is pretty much my favorite lager as well.

Now if I'd mentioned Leinenkugels, then yeah...

And I see your "Dude" and raise you one of my own, Dude. :)

I don't think Point is bad, per se, but I find nothing special about it.  It's certainly drinkable...but I would actually put it on the same level as Leinie's.

but I'm with you on Lakefront and New Glarus, those are two of my favorites breweries.

• Mr Bungle
« Reply #89 on: May 07, 2009, 11:13:41 AM »
Well, enjoy!  Are you getting all types or just the regular Fat Tire?

I like the lighter stuff they have in the summer.
On timeout