Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 144526 times)

Offline Tarantulas

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 3
  • #97 Rifftrax Fan in the World!
Re: The beer topic.....
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2007, 06:11:12 AM »
They did a bit about this on Family Guy...

"I know it was paper mache!"

Offline SaucyRossy

• Liked: 0
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2007, 10:30:51 PM »

Did they? I need to see that clip! BTW I love the new sig!

www.rifftraxfan.com - Check out Gammers RiffTrax Fan page!

Offline Tarantulas

• #97 Rifftrax Fan in the World!
« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2007, 10:37:01 PM »

Did they? I need to see that clip! BTW I love the new sig!

You just ain't cool without a custom sig :)

Offline saltwrench

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #48 on: November 13, 2008, 06:18:38 PM »
I see some love for the Bell's, which I like since I'm from MI, but where's the Schlafly?  The Bourbon Stout is like an M-80 with an extra short fuse, but the Coffee Stout, Pale Ale, Oatmeal Stout, APA, and IPA are amazing!  Next time you're in Saint Louis, you owe it to yourself to try some.  Skip the AB/Inbev brewery tour if you must and check out the Schlafly Taproom or Bottleworks.

Offline saltwrench

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2008, 06:48:56 PM »
No trust me, I love Bells, the Oberon was my beer of choice for years, but keep in mind that I drive past the brewery on my way home every day.  So I pick up fresh beer regularly.  And the Bourbon Stout is a once every 24 months beer that must be tried (just to say you have).

Also, the food sucks at the brewery (way too salty), so just eat elsewhere (read The Hill).

Offline BEERxTaco

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 32
  • Does this bug you? I'm not touching you...
    • BEERx
« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2008, 12:12:37 PM »
Schlafly Oatmeal Stout on draft is awesome... I take home a growler regularly.
"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son"
-Dean Wormer, Animal House R.I.P.

Offline DarthChimay

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • How can a Pope be such a hottie?
« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2008, 12:28:50 PM »
Finally, a topic that is meaningful.

So, let's see, if I had to give my top beers, they'd be (in no particular order):

1. Ephemere by Unibroue - When you open the bottle, you smell apples. It's wonderful, but don't worry, it isn't a cider.
2. Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse - I love this on a hot afternoon, preferably with a bit of soft sheep/cow milk cheese
3. Hoegaarden - A great beer just to keep around the house
4. Purple Haze by Abita - My favorite "fruity" beer; it doesn't have that sticky sweet taste others do
5. Chimay Grand Reserve - The best on a cold night
6. Corsendonk - Another great "cold night" beer
7. Kirin Ichiban - Goes best with sushi
8. Tsing Tao - Funny(ish) story; when I was living in Austin, TX, I went to a bar to order this and pronounced it correctly (ching dao). The bartender I ordered from misheard me and, for those of you who know Spanish, got very offended. The other bartender (a very cute, sweet girl) intervened and said that I was the first person she'd ever heard pronounce it correctly and gave it to me on the house.
9. Blanche de Chambly by Unibroue - Seriously, these Quebecois make some mean beer
10. Kronenberg 1664 - This one brings back fond memories of stumbling around Paris with friends at the tender age of 15

Wow, my tastes are just all over the board, aren't they?

Offline jewishcarpenter

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 543
  • I grow flowers so pretty they'll make you throw up
« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2008, 01:02:23 PM »

So, let's see, if I had to give my top beers, they'd be (in no particular order):

1. Ephemere by Unibroue - When you open the bottle, you smell apples. It's wonderful, but don't worry, it isn't a cider.
2. Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse - I love this on a hot afternoon, preferably with a bit of soft sheep/cow milk cheese
4. Purple Haze by Abita - My favorite "fruity" beer; it doesn't have that sticky sweet taste others do
8. Tsing Tao - Funny(ish) story; when I was living in Austin, TX, I went to a bar to order this and pronounced it correctly (ching dao). The bartender I ordered from misheard me and, for those of you who know Spanish, got very offended. The other bartender (a very cute, sweet girl) intervened and said that I was the first person she'd ever heard pronounce it correctly and gave it to me on the house.
9. Blanche de Chambly by Unibroue - Seriously, these Quebecois make some mean beer
10. Kronenberg 1664 - This one brings back fond memories of stumbling around Paris with friends at the tender age of 15

I've had a few of those. Those types of beer are made me the beer snob I am today. Chimay Grand Reserve is one of my favorites but just too damned expensive to drink on a regular basis.

Offline DarthChimay

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2008, 01:18:24 PM »

I've had a few of those. Those types of beer are made me the beer snob I am today. Chimay Grand Reserve is one of my favorites but just too damned expensive to drink on a regular basis.

Yeah, if I drink it, I just get one bottle and then round out the evening with something cheaper, which is good for everyone except my liver.

Offline jewishcarpenter

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 543
  • I grow flowers so pretty they'll make you throw up
« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2008, 01:24:52 PM »
 This is my answer to you for something cheaper but just as appetizing. That and I enjoy Boddington's when i go for cheaper.

Offline DarthChimay

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #55 on: November 14, 2008, 01:45:15 PM »
This is my answer to you for something cheaper but just as appetizing. That and I enjoy Boddington's when i go for cheaper.

I'll have to try that, though I'm not a huge fan of stouts.

Offline DarthChimay

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #56 on: November 14, 2008, 06:35:31 PM »
I like Franziskaner and hoegaarden.  I think for weisses I prefer Hacker-Pschorr though. 

And I think Blue Moon Belgian is just as good as Hoegaarden, and a lot cheaper.

Don't care for Kronenberg--skunky beers aren't my thing.  I can't stand Stella, for example.

I have to disagree on Blue Moon. I find it isn't as creamy as Hoegaarden. Don't get me wrong; it's a fine beer and I purchase it all the time (because it's cheaper). It just ain't Hoegaarden.

And I can understand people not liking Kronenberg. If it weren't tied up with so many crazy memories (like the first time I saw breasts that weren't on some form of media), I don't know if I'd like it all that much. Also, there's a mystique in that I wasn't able to get it in the states for well over a decade, at least not in Texas.

Offline darkchashy

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • beware strangers baring gifs
« Reply #57 on: November 14, 2008, 06:55:15 PM »
Drank beer once in my life at a party. tasted nasty. Went to visit my Alcoholic brother in San Diego one time. We went to a nice place that served Steak and champagne.. for breakfast. Tasted like turpentine. My brother is the most creative, culured person I know, has a college education. 35 years old and working 3 waiter jobs. Am not a fan of alcohol, drink in moderation, folks. 
that's just how we ride.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #58 on: November 14, 2008, 08:41:55 PM »
I dont have the "large brewers must suck bias"

I love Schlafley and Budweiser Ale.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #59 on: November 15, 2008, 05:29:30 AM »

Pet peeve though--I fucking cannot STAND it when bars put ORANGES in a weissbier or a belgian style. It's LEMONS that go in there, people. LEMONS.  The yellow one.

An orange?!

Maybe the Miller High Life delivery guy can take away their beers.