login

Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 144293 times)

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 380
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #1125 on: April 11, 2020, 08:34:59 AM »
After 24 hours yeast in the pale ale was doing nothing, so added newer yeast that arrived yesterday afternoon.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 3082
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #1126 on: May 03, 2020, 11:32:03 AM »
Got 10 quarts of beer brewing, managed to mix the LME in the pot well this time so no burnt malt this time.

Used:

3.3lbs Pilsen Light LME
 1.5 oz dark DME
 5g cascade hops 60 min.
 5.6g cluster hops 20 min.
 8g citra hops 2 min.

The hopsy smell coming from the airlock for the first 2 days when it was really fermenting was great.

Thursday will be 2 weeks and I think I'll bottle it then.

I am also experimenting with wine again, combined apple juice with strawberry preserves and 1 gallon of that is bubbling away now, the smell from that is very nice.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #1127 on: May 03, 2020, 02:16:28 PM »
My Czech ale turned out very Czech  light lager like which is what I was going for. A nice sunny day beer.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #1128 on: May 07, 2020, 09:05:25 AM »
Bottled my latest batch, the last 8 oz. that didn't get bottled tasted pretty good for super green beer, so this might be the best batch I've ever made, fingers crossed for 2 weeks from now.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #1129 on: May 07, 2020, 10:30:02 AM »
My cascade ale is still carbonating. Having to carbonate it artificially as I screwed up trying to carbonate it naturally in the keg. I didn't attach my temperature probe to the side of the keg very well and it detached and caused the keg to overheat and kill the yeast. Sampling the flat beer leads me to believe it will turn out OK but the artificial carbonation is going to take a while.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #1130 on: May 07, 2020, 11:38:42 AM »
Placed an order for brewing ingredients from a cheap homebrew supply shop in Michigan that I've ordered from in the past after email assured me they were still doing mail order. That was 8 weeks ago. Got emails 2 weeks in a row informing me they were short staffed and my order would ship before the end of the week. Then nothing for a week. Then an email repeating that my order was shipping by the end of the week. Didn't ship so I filed a dispute with paypal and just got my refund today. Brewing ingriedients on Amazon in shorter supply then usual and prices way up, but order placed this morning and shipped this afternoon.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #1131 on: May 07, 2020, 01:53:32 PM »
Placed an order for brewing ingredients from a cheap homebrew supply shop in Michigan that I've ordered from in the past after email assured me they were still doing mail order. That was 8 weeks ago. Got emails 2 weeks in a row informing me they were short staffed and my order would ship before the end of the week. Then nothing for a week. Then an email repeating that my order was shipping by the end of the week. Didn't ship so I filed a dispute with paypal and just got my refund today. Brewing ingriedients on Amazon in shorter supply then usual and prices way up, but order placed this morning and shipped this afternoon.

Since I make small batches I have pretty much gone all Amazon now.  Two gallons lasts me a couple months, so I won't be brewing again until July, hopefully supply and prices have returned to normal by then.  Might try champagne yeast sometime, when I thought I was going to really get into making wine I bought an 8 pack but have only used 2 of them...

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #1132 on: May 07, 2020, 02:37:21 PM »
Without anyone coming over to help me consume it, I may already have enough made to last until the end of the year. But going to make 2 batches that I'll let sit- a strong stout that will need 6 months to mature and then a lager that I'll over hop and let cold lager for 3 or 4 months.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #1133 on: May 14, 2020, 04:37:20 PM »
Tried one of my test bottles, for 3 weeks old (1 week bottled) it is really good, nice hop flavor, just the right amount of bitterness that I like.

Guess I have to call this batch covid beer...

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #1134 on: June 14, 2020, 10:54:55 AM »
Brew day.
Light beer which I'll put on tap as soon as something else runs out.
Pumpkin Ale and an IPA that I'll age until the fall or winter.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #1135 on: September 05, 2020, 05:25:32 PM »
For my latest batch I was nearly done with a bag of citra hops so used it all up, so about 1/3 more at 2 minutes than my last batch.  Also for the hell of it added 2 cups of apple cider to the boil, and because the cider had some sorbate preservative I added extra yeast, also went with safale us-05 yeast this time.  Didn't need to increase the yeast, the boil must have taken care of the sorbate or there just wasn't enough of it in those 2 cups, because the fermentation stayed warm for 2 days so the yeast was multiplying like mad.

Opened up a test bottle today that I put in the fridge yesterday and it was so good I put the entire batch in the fridge, color is great, bitterness is perfect.  I was just thinking I don't think I've ever bought a beer that had the bitterness where I like it, Yuengling Lager is the closest but a little low, all others that I've tried at higher bitterness were too much.