Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 135578 times)

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 289
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #1110 on: March 30, 2019, 08:04:37 PM »
OK.. not beer related...but smoked pork wasn't ready by dinner time so we had smoked chicken thigh sandwiches for dinner...smoked pork just now ready and it's great. Some of the best pulled pork I've ever made. Knew there was a good chance that it wouldn't be ready in time for dinner when I slept later than usual this morning. But needed the sleep. Sleeping late led to not doing my usual BBQ spice coating and just going with salt and pepper which worked well coupled with the 12 hours of apple wood smoking.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 2780
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #1111 on: March 31, 2019, 04:00:16 PM »
I accidentally bought 3 lbs. of LME instead of DME, so I made a 9 quart batch today instead of my usual 5.

3 lbs. pale LME
2 oz. dark DME
4g cascade hops 60 min.
5g cluster hops 20 min.
6g citra hops 2 min.

1 tsp yeast nutrient

8g US-05 yeast

SG 1.045 so should be just under 6% alcohol.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #1112 on: May 03, 2019, 07:05:43 PM »
Opened the one bottle of that wine I started in December that I put in a PET bottle so it would carbonate.

Not bad, fairly standard white wine taste, massive carbonation.  Would probably have exploded a glass bottle, the plastic bottle was as hard as glass.

My latest batch of beer is in the fridge, last week I tried one bottle and it was pretty good, should be even better now.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #1113 on: October 01, 2019, 07:17:51 PM »
Opened the one remaining bottle of wine I started 10 months ago and was quite shocked at how good it was, better than some white wines I've bought over the years.  So it really does have to age almost a year before it begins to lose it's harshness.  So 10 months to go from cheap white grape juice to a wine you would probably pay $10 to $15 a bottle for...  I bought a big jar of strawberry jam and will sometime this fall start a batch of wine made from that, we'll see how that goes.

House is almost cool enough during the day now to start back up making beer again, I have so much junk in the basement I didn't feel like trying to do it down there over the summer.  Once the first floor stays below 72 when I'm at work and the A/C is turned off I'll start another batch.  I have one bottle left from my last batch in the spring, so it's good timing.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #1114 on: November 30, 2019, 12:44:19 PM »
Been too busy at work to brew lately. Have ingredients for a couple of batches, so maybe tomorrow.
Been enjoying Breckenridge Nitro Irish Stout since I ran out of homebrew. A bit more coffee flavor compared to Guiness (which I like) and about half the price of Guiness.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #1115 on: January 18, 2020, 07:36:03 PM »
Haven't been inspired or had the time to brew beer lately and have been drinking whiskey since running out of homebrew.
Researched making my own whiskey.
Problems with that idea:
1) Takes 4 or more years to age it properly;
2) A liter of whiskey lasts me over a month, so a 5 gallon cask would be a whole hell of a lot;
3) It's dangerous in ways that making beer isn't and I don't have a big enough lot to do it far enough away to not potentially kill anyone if it were to explode.
So not going to give making my own whiskey a try.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #1116 on: January 18, 2020, 09:52:10 PM »
Haven't been inspired or had the time to brew beer lately and have been drinking whiskey since running out of homebrew.
Researched making my own whiskey.
Problems with that idea:
1) Takes 4 or more years to age it properly;
2) A liter of whiskey lasts me over a month, so a 5 gallon cask would be a whole hell of a lot;
3) It's dangerous in ways that making beer isn't and I don't have a big enough lot to do it far enough away to not potentially kill anyone if it were to explode.
So not going to give making my own whiskey a try.

It's also illegal.  Distillation of ethanol is prohibited even for personal use.  If you look at all the stills you can buy online they all say they are for making "essential oils" or fragrances...  Chances are you wouldn't get caught, but if it did explode and the fire department had to come out you would be in serious trouble.

To make 5 gallons you would have to distill several times that volume of mash.  Assuming you are going for 80 proof (40%) and your mash is 10 to 15 percent that's 15 to 20 gallons of mash.

I've got to start a new batch soon, down to 3 bottles of the stuff I made in the fall.  Got all the stuff in a few weeks ago but just haven't gotten around to starting, and this weekend I've got a horrible cold.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #1117 on: January 23, 2020, 06:07:48 PM »
Can technology has come a long way with linings that now make some canned beer taste better then the bottled versions.
Bought a 12 pack of what's being pushed as a craft brewed light beer- Saint Archer Gold (on sale and was looking for something light). It tastes like what I remember canned beer tasting like in the 80s. In other words, it tastes like the can. Not terrible really- at least it's not skunky- but I don't think I'd buy it again.