Author Topic: References.  (Read 8331 times)

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2666
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
References.
« on: August 15, 2009, 11:15:06 AM »
Had to go look up the Daffy Duck reference, never heard that song in any of the cartoons I watched...

But who's this "Dave Saville" guy?  All I can find is some obscure references of him being associated with environmental issues.

Edit: OK, found it, it was a chipmonks reference, David Seville, stage name for  Ross Bagdasarian...  Never watched the chipmonks shows...
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 11:24:14 AM by MartyS (Gromit) »

Offline mattwnelson

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 543
    • Catbeard the Pirate!
Re: References.
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 11:22:07 AM »
David Seville was the guy who was Alvin & the Chipmunks' band manager/surrogate dad.

M@

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 11:29:33 AM »
Those kind of references are kind of hit or miss in terms of comedy, if you know the name it's funny, not at all if you don't...

Not many comments on the last bunch of shorts to come out...

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2654
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 06:59:20 AM »
I just can't believe that there wasn't a "Nobody puts Moose Baby in the corner" joke.
FINE

Offline Cosmic Muse

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 0
  • Dragon of Light
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 05:51:14 AM »
I cracked up over the Grizzly Man reference in spite of the grisly nature of his totally avoidable death, as tasteless (No pun intended, really.) as it might seem seeing as how Timothy Treadwell also caused the violent death of an innocent woman as well.
Being a genocidal maniac is not one of my turn ons.

Is it weird to hear the Safety Dance in my head watching Game of Thrones?

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 11:04:35 AM »
I cracked up over the Grizzly Man reference in spite of the grisly nature of his totally avoidable death, as tasteless (No pun intended, really.) as it might seem seeing as how Timothy Treadwell also caused the violent death of an innocent woman as well.

Yea, that's one I laughed at but felt a little embarrased after.  Is it wrong to think that it would be perfectly fine to make fun of him if he was the only one the bears ate?  Sort of like the Darwin Awards. 

Offline Cosmic Muse

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Dragon of Light
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2009, 11:35:27 AM »

Yea, that's one I laughed at but felt a little embarrased after.  Is it wrong to think that it would be perfectly fine to make fun of him if he was the only one the bears ate?  Sort of like the Darwin Awards. 

Yeah, I wouldn't have felt so guilty chuckling at that line if it was that idiot who was mauled by those bears after years of being told by rangers not to get so close to them. But the dolt had to involve his soon to have been ex-girlfriend in his suicidal delusions. On top of that his actions caused two of his beloved Grizzlies to get shot to death because they started attacking other humans checking out the site as well.
Being a genocidal maniac is not one of my turn ons.

Is it weird to hear the Safety Dance in my head watching Game of Thrones?

Offline swstephe

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2009, 02:51:17 AM »
Okay, I can live with not knowing what Beaver did with the sticks and mud.

But what is killing me is who is "former baseball player John Crook" and what does he have to do with an antler falling off onto the snow? (8:41),  Cocaine?  Severe sports injury?  Google and Wikipedia seemed stumped, too.

Offline Scrivener

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 7
  • P.S. Productions: Getting the last word in.
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2009, 05:31:54 AM »
The baseball player would be John Kruk, once of the Philadelphia Phillies.  Haven't seen the short yet, so I can't immediately tease out what's funny about the reference.  Kruk was a big beefy guy, if that helps.
Buy P.S.Productions' iRiffs.  NOW AVAILABLE:

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2009, 09:59:22 AM »
Could be a reference to his size and his hair style back when he was playing.  When I see him now on ESPN I think he looks smaller...

Plenty of big baseball guys nicknamed moose, but I don't think krukie ever was.

Offline swstephe

• Blue Beer Drinker
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2009, 06:52:04 PM »
The John Kruk reference comes when the narrator is talking about a moose losing its antlers, the camera showing the discarded antler lying in the snow.

Finding the wikipedia entry, I guess it is a reference to John Kruk having testicular cancer and ultimately having both of his testicles removed?  That was obscure!

I enjoyed the cameo by "dramatic ground hog/ground squirrel", which might be an obscure meme to most.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2009, 09:31:02 PM »
The John Kruk reference comes when the narrator is talking about a moose losing its antlers, the camera showing the discarded antler lying in the snow.

Finding the wikipedia entry, I guess it is a reference to John Kruk having testicular cancer and ultimately having both of his testicles removed?  That was obscure!

I enjoyed the cameo by "dramatic ground hog/ground squirrel", which might be an obscure meme to most.

I really doubt that it was a reference to his cancer. 

Freezing the video there, looking at the shape of the antler,  I'm pretty sure it's a mullet reference, Krukie had a hell of a mullet back when he was playing for the Phillies, look up some pictures of the '93 team that went to the world series.

Offline carlobee

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2009, 11:01:28 PM »
oh yeah really? i never heard of him.. well , at least now i know. :D

Offline starfighter

• Big Montana
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2009, 08:05:07 PM »
  Yeah, I took it to be a one less testicle reference.  They could have used Tom Green or Hitler instead.  Only baseball player nicknamed Moose that I can remember is Moose Skowron.  He was a Yankee from 1954-1962 before being traded to the Dodgers.  Now that would have been a really obscure reference.

The whole short seems to be directly from a Disney nature film.  Don't know if that was Tex Ritter or not on the narration, but I think he did that service on a number of Disney episodes.  Does this mean you can use any piece of film if you find it with the credits excised?  I read over a few seasons of "Wonderful World of Disney" episodes but couldn't find anything close to this.

Offline Vidken

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2009, 01:02:21 PM »
I'm amused by how the fish are almost always a nameless, faceless food source in these idyllic children's nature films. The bit about "Mr. Fish" was funny. ;D