Author Topic: The Greatest Album Of All Time  (Read 26923 times)

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!
Re: The Greatest Album Of All Time
« Reply #90 on: February 15, 2007, 06:13:15 PM »
What, no "Third Reich n' Roll"?

One of the ones I haven't heard but should....  I've only heard/own so many of their albums, like 10 out of 650 or something

It's great. It kind of (to me at least) has this post-apocalyptic feel, where what we regard as "golden oldies" are some sort of dim racial memory, common to all humans. It's a little hard to explain.
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline pyro

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #91 on: February 15, 2007, 10:33:14 PM »
Completely forgot, that's the one where they took old top 40 songs or something then kept reworking them till they were completely different wasn't it?  I really gotta check that out.

Gotta love their ideas involving top 40 and etc, like the Commercial Album; 40 minutes, 40 songs  :D

Offline Moose

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 0
  • I'm the wind, baby!
« Reply #92 on: February 17, 2007, 03:04:31 AM »
Right, here we go then...

This is a list of my favourite bands, and the best album from each.

The Who - Quadrophenia.
Who's Next possibly has the best songs, but Quad works best as an album. If only Pete could've finished Lifehouse at the time, that would definately be the best album of all time. No doubt.

Pink Floyd - I'm gonna say Dark Side.
The Wall was too whiny for me, all the lyrics are about "It's not my fault, they made me this way", and seeing DSotM sync'ed with Wiz of Oz just blew it wide open for me.

Bowie - Hunky Dory.
Low is fantastic for the first half, but quickly goes downhill in my opinion. Hunky's just a fantastic pop record.

Clapton - 461 Ocean Blvd.
So emotional. It's listening to a man at the very bottom of the barrel. Even on a light, trivial song like "Willie and the Hand Jive" (stop laughing!) when you hear his voice cracking it's heartbreaking.

The Cure - Wish.
The peak of Fat Bob's writing. Plus the amount of stylistic variety is astounding. Especially if you tack on the era-appropriate b-sides. "This Twilight Garden" is amazing.

Parliament - Mothership Connection
Bootsy, Bernie, George, 'nuff said.

Offline davo

• Magneto-cent Member
  • are you asking for a challlllenge?!!!!1!1!one!!1!
« Reply #93 on: February 21, 2007, 01:25:44 PM »
Soundgarden: Badmotorfinger

I keep coming back to these two CDs. I can't decide which one I like better.

ya know, it's too bad people have forgetten what a great band soundgarden was. you want to hear cool time signatures & great writing? listen to these guys.

Offline BBQ Platypus

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 59
  • SURF'S UP, SPACE PONIES!
« Reply #94 on: February 21, 2007, 08:30:48 PM »

One of the ones I haven't heard but should....  I've only heard/own so many of their albums, like 10 out of 650 or something

It's great. It kind of (to me at least) has this post-apocalyptic feel, where what we regard as "golden oldies" are some sort of dim racial memory, common to all humans. It's a little hard to explain.

I've heard of that album, and I've been meaning to get into the Residents, but I just keep forgetting about it and putting it off.  Me and my procrastinating tendencies.
Correction: the coat hanger should be upside down.

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!
« Reply #95 on: February 21, 2007, 09:20:19 PM »

I've heard of that album, and I've been meaning to get into the Residents, but I just keep forgetting about it and putting it off.  Me and my procrastinating tendencies.

The Heaven? and Hell! compilations (on Ryko) might be a good place to start.
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline pyro

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #96 on: February 22, 2007, 05:27:22 PM »
Don't know about that compilation, but I can say the best place probably not to start is with the early stuff like Meet The Residents, that'll probably be an automatic turn-off

This is a fun listen though, Penn Jillette locked in a motel room for 6 days and given a copy of their biography and a series of their records each morning (starting with Santa Dog apparently) and told to record his first response to all of them after listening

http://www.pennfans.net/view/Audio_Archive/Other_Audio/Ralph_Records_10th_Anniversary_Radio_Special_With_Penn_Jillette/

unfortuantly they put long music clips inbetween some of his talking instead of including more of him....

Offline The Real Crow T. Robot

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • I'm different!
« Reply #97 on: February 27, 2007, 03:58:06 PM »

or

Crow: Well believe me, Mike, I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway.

Offline davo

• Magneto-cent Member
  • are you asking for a challlllenge?!!!!1!1!one!!1!
« Reply #98 on: March 02, 2007, 11:00:31 AM »

Offline scottrkrv

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #99 on: March 02, 2007, 07:15:13 PM »
Right, here we go then...

This is a list of my favourite bands, and the best album from each.

<snip>

The Who - Quadrophenia.
Who's Next possibly has the best songs, but Quad works best as an album. If only Pete could've finished Lifehouse at the time, that would definately be the best album of all time. No doubt.

The remixed version of "Who's Next" does have all the songs from the LIFEHOUSE project, except for "Relay."

But QUADROPHENIA is MY second favorite The Who album.

MontyServo

« Reply #100 on: March 03, 2007, 12:13:14 PM »
I'm a little late to this party but here goes anyway.  A few of my "Greatest Albums of all time":

And a future greatest album of all time, and the best album of 2006:

Your opinion may vary, of course.  I also like quite a few of the albums that were already mentioned.  And I now have a bunch of albums to listen to on Rhapsody.

P.S. ...And Justice For All is the last great Metallica album, in my opinion.

Offline Moose

• Schnappi Supporter
  • I'm the wind, baby!
« Reply #101 on: March 06, 2007, 06:53:14 PM »
The remixed version of "Who's Next" does have all the songs from the LIFEHOUSE project, except for "Relay."

It may have the songs they recorded at the time, but the full project was ultimately too epic even for Townshend to realise, let alone translating it to a finished product. It took thirty years for most of it to come out, and even then it was just a collection, not the fully realised product it should've been (a few different versions of some songs, many were just demos, narrative/radio play was kept entirely seperate instead of integrated, etc.)

Offline Rude

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 3
  • Forum Czar
« Reply #102 on: March 06, 2007, 07:23:49 PM »

Funny how the best albums come in the simplest sleeves~

-Rude
"I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."<a href="http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3</a>

Offline Moose

• Schnappi Supporter
  • I'm the wind, baby!
« Reply #103 on: March 06, 2007, 07:30:59 PM »
As I said before, I prefer DSotM to The Wall.

"White Album" is my favourite Beatles album, because it's the most detached the band ever got, and each track is pure to the writer.
It's like a separate EP from each member just put together as an album, and I dig that.

Offline pyro

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #104 on: March 06, 2007, 07:33:02 PM »

Funny how the best albums come in the simplest sleeves~

-Rude

like Smell The Glove (because this forum needed another ST reference)

I don't think there's any Pink Floyd album that would make my list of greatest albums ever..... though I love Les Claypool's cover of "Animals"