Author Topic: The Greatest Album Of All Time  (Read 26789 times)

Offline pyro

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 1
Re: The Greatest Album Of All Time
« Reply #135 on: July 17, 2007, 03:47:00 PM »

Sun City Girls -Dante's Disneyland Inferno - sheer genius - hear this now

that's the first album I downloaded of them blindly, but still haven't heard it...... Torch The Mystics is great though, and lyrically Nancy is one of my favorite songs right now, or at least today since i just listened to it again.....   was disappointed when their drummer died

Offline CireDark

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #136 on: July 30, 2007, 09:06:02 PM »
I'm guessing my musical taste is REALLY different from y'all but...

AstroCreep 2000 by White Zombie

Operation MindCrime by Queensryche...I always wanted to be Dr. X though

AstroCreep was a damn fine album, and the full track names are just absolutely adorable.
For instance, one of my favorites, "El Phantasmo and the Chicken-Run Blast-o-Rama"

Also, Operation Mindcrime is one of the best concept albums there is. Listening to it from beginning to end is the just the same as watching a movie.

However, my vote for Greatest Album of all time...

Nine Inch Nails
The Downward Spiral

Everyone has their story of the album that changed their lives. This album changed mine. I was a lost, lonely, isolated teenager and then I saw the video for "closer" one night on Mtv. Something clicked. Even then I was able to look past the lyrics. I was far more focused on Mark Romaneks' visuals and the musical construction of the song. Something in it spoke to me, and it wasn't just the words "I wanna..." You know...
This album, often listened to using the best pair of headphones in the house, volume cranked up to the limits of my hearing, alone in my room in pitch black, was how I survived High School.

Since other people are nominating more than one album, I guess I shall as well..

Number two goes too..

Skinny Puppy
Greater Wrong of the Right

After a much-too-long string of silence, and many Side/Solo projects later, Skinny Puppy reunites to prove that they are still the masters of a Genre that they helped create. This album holds a very special place in my heart, but looking at the selections the rest of you have made, I don't think many of you will fully understand why, let alone agree.

Offline ~)KD(~Rn-Rk

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #137 on: August 08, 2007, 09:18:09 AM »
Depending on what type of music you nomally listen to, will affect what you think the greatest album of al time is. For example, if you like rock/metal music, you would probably be more inclined to say that Appetite For Destruction - Guns 'N' Roses would be the best, however those who are more inclined to listen to older rock music, you may say The Number Of The Beast - Iron Maiden. from my point of view, Sgt. Pepper - The Beaes is the best, but like I say, I may have a different opinion. but everyone is entitled to my own opinion.

Offline Rude

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 3
  • Forum Czar
« Reply #138 on: August 08, 2007, 12:58:09 PM »
Quote from: ~)KD(~Rn-Rk
...from my point of view, Sgt. Pepper - The Beaes is the best, but like I say, I may have a different opinion. but everyone is entitled to my own opinion.

So, uh... what was that again? We are all entitled to your opinion that The Beaes are the best?
I'm so confused.

-Rude
"I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."<a href="http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3</a>

Offline Hank_Peters

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Look at my crotch!
    • My music
« Reply #139 on: August 09, 2007, 02:30:01 PM »
I however, think that Sgt. Pepper is one of the Beatles worst

Offline RobtheBarbarian

• Liked: 8
  • Snarl!
« Reply #140 on: August 09, 2007, 07:24:40 PM »
Well, he's got a point. A far more realistic title for this thread would be "Favorite Album Of All Time", unless "Best" was sort of a tongue-in-cheek kind of thing.

My favorite album could be

Exodus's Tempo of the Damned

or Motorhead's Overnight Sensation.

Offline bettertomorrowamy

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 12
  • Get this lazy Manc twat an Emmy!
« Reply #141 on: August 10, 2007, 03:35:10 AM »

Yeah!
On timeout

Offline Pearson

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #142 on: August 20, 2007, 08:15:51 AM »
My favorites (#'s 1-5):

Offline Starman!

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 359
« Reply #143 on: April 15, 2010, 02:04:15 PM »
U2 is awesome! I think that Achtung Baby is the best album EVER!

Oh and I had to share this smiley face because it's just so awkward!
:deadhorse:

Offline The Lady Rommel

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #144 on: April 15, 2010, 03:23:48 PM »
I don't see race.  People tell me I'm white and I believe them because I watch Antiques Roadshow.

Offline Teaflax

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #145 on: April 21, 2010, 03:39:06 AM »
For all that I personally find Pet Sounds is overrated on a song-writing level, I still think it's a valid choice for best album of all time, since it's groundbreaking, very well-produced and more or less unequaled by the band that made it.
Fear destroys. - Jon Anderson

Offline TheUnabeefer

• Liked: 937
  • I am a flying cow... worship me or DIE!!!
    • The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #146 on: April 30, 2010, 10:03:50 AM »
Brian Wilson's "Smile!" album is better than Pet Sounds IMHO... although, I have about 5 days (played back to back) worth of bootlegs and session tracks from the original Smile sessions (just after Pet Sounds), and what it could have been is even better than his final 2004 album.  (I spent 3 months making my own extended mix of Smile using the original sessions... I actually went even more insane than I normally am.  Stopped sleeping, it was crazy.)

My personal pick for greatest album of all time is Pink Floyd's Animals.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animals_%28album%29

I used to HATE this album, and then I spent a whole week listening to it nonstop, and it struck me finally that this is one of the most perfectly amazing albums of all time.  Basically Animal Farm in music form, every note placement and transition from natural instruments seamlessly into electronic instruments is flawlessly arranged and executed... and actually has some weight of meaning as far as the storyline goes.  (ie, how the dog barking sounds more realistic early in the cycle of Dogs, and eventually becomes more obviously mechanical sounding, as the "dogs" in the story lose their individuality.)

Anyways, incredible album and I personally love this album FAR more than The Dark Side of the Moon, which is great but overrated.

As a SECOND pick, I would have to say George Harrison's "All Things Must Pass"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_Things_Must_Pass

If anything, the song "My Sweet Lord" takes the cake as the greatest SONG of all time.
...and there he was, reigning supreme at number two.  The One... The Only... The Unabeefer.

Offline The Lady Rommel

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #147 on: April 30, 2010, 11:02:16 AM »
I think I'm with you on "My Sweet Lord" being the best song ever.  Or at least in the top five.

My top five ever would have to be

5. Thriller - Michael Jackson
4. Automatic for the People - REM
3.  Goodbye Yellow Brick Road -  Elton John
2.  Back in Black - AC/DC
1.  and of course, Pet Sounds!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 11:14:58 AM by The Lady Rommel »
I don't see race.  People tell me I'm white and I believe them because I watch Antiques Roadshow.

Offline Nekrose

• Schnappi Supporter
  • I have the cape. I make the fucking woosh noises.
« Reply #148 on: July 06, 2010, 02:13:41 PM »

UncleDes

« Reply #149 on: August 23, 2010, 03:54:30 PM »
Right now:

#1 - Cathedral - Garden of Earthly Delights
#2 - Pelican - The Fire in our Throats will Beckon the Thaw
#3 - Tangerine Dream - Poland
#4 - Hawkwind - Live Chronicles
#5 - Cocteau Twins - Tiny Dynamine/Echoes in the Shallow Bay

Basically, I'm yer average disco duck.