Author Topic: Age appropriate?  (Read 1866 times)

Offline skullnex

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
Age appropriate?
« on: August 10, 2009, 03:42:48 PM »
My wife, kids and I love MST3K and I'm hoping to take them all to the Aug. 20th Rifftrax live show... but does anyone know what the rating is likely to be on this show (assuming there is one)? Plan 9 From Outer Space is probably a PG to start, but if the guys work blue I could see this going to R territory in a hurry. Anyone know more on this?

My boys are 13 and 8, and we're pretty strict about what they see and hear.

Thanks,
ES

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 972
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
Re: Age appropriate?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 04:02:49 PM »
I don't recall anything objectionable on the DVD of the riff.  (Then again, I wasn't paying close attention to the age level of the riffs.) However, the guys usually try to stick close to the rating of the film- i.e. PG rated stuff gets PG rated riffs, while the "R" stuff gets riffs for that age level, so I'm guessing that any revised riffs will be fairly clean. If it's a major concern though, and you don't mind possibly spoiling the jokes, you may want to rent or buy a copy of the DVD and then either watch it yourself, or have someone you trust review it for you.

But I might suggest your kids step outside while Lowtax does his segment. Just in case.

Offline Steve-O

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 56
    • The Incomparable
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 04:12:15 PM »
Yeah, they're very conscientious about the language matching the rating of the film.  They will sometimes be suggestive, but very rarely will they work blue unless the film absolutely demands it; and even then, they use explicit language only sparingly.  Vulgarity is really not their style.

I saw the live Plan 9 riff in San Diego last year, and there was nothing overly risque in it.  They do make a fair number of references to Bela Lugosi's heroin habit, if that sort of thing concerns you.  And Compound's absolutely right about the Lowtax segment; they'll hopefully have him on a short leash, but you never know.

Offline torgosPizza

• Administrator
  • Liked: 241
  • Heaven is nowhere, just look to the stars.
    • RiffTrax
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 08:08:20 PM »
I would rate this a PG-13 show, with the language in the commentary (it's not R-rated by any means but it is a little suggestive at times) and some of the stranger stuff from Lowtax.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5398
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 09:07:54 PM »
You can buy the 3 riffer Rifftrax and listen to it first.

Offline torgosPizza

• Administrator
  • Liked: 241
  • Heaven is nowhere, just look to the stars.
    • RiffTrax
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 09:11:26 PM »
You can buy the 3 riffer Rifftrax and listen to it first.

Actually you can't. We took it down for the time being.

Offline iAmThePocketGod

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 06:28:34 AM »
There's always Netflix, you could get a free trial and rent it there.