Author Topic: What did we learn?  (Read 4112 times)

Doctor Who?

What did we learn?
« on: August 03, 2009, 05:28:28 PM »
I learned that people will still shout Nazi even at a Nazi.

Offline MST3Kgirl

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked:
Re: What did we learn?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 07:25:58 PM »
people had really ugly teeth back in the day.

Doctor Who?

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 12:45:16 PM »
For some reason drum music is the perfect score for a debate.

Russell

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 12:45:30 AM »
Sure, the short wants us to accept that the first amendment gives the right to even bigots to say whatever they want. However, I would argue that the preservation of peace is more important then letting someone vent hate speech. I mean do people need to be made more angry than they are now? I think it's fair and reasonable to say that even freedom of speech has a price and its limits, just like anything else.

Offline eegah

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked:
  • Against the ninjmmmppphhhh
    • My MST3K Movie Poster Collection
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 06:19:21 AM »
Sure, the short wants us to accept that the first amendment gives the right to even bigots to say whatever they want. However, I would argue that the preservation of peace is more important then letting someone vent hate speech. I mean do people need to be made more angry than they are now? I think it's fair and reasonable to say that even freedom of speech has a price and its limits, just like anything else.

I disagree. People should be able to freely express their opinions, no matter how unpopular that they are. The only limits that I see are (1) slander/libel, (2) "fire in a crowded theater"-type speech, and (3) incitement to violence. Saying that group of people is evil does not qualify as (3), but advocating that "somebody should do something about it" does.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked:
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 09:44:06 AM »
The guy's speech was not why he was arrested (nor should it be), it's that he deliberately did it in front of a Synagogue, intentionally starting a riot.

Offline Pi_Master

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2009, 08:35:26 AM »
The current standard for unprotected speech is speech that, "incites imminent, lawless action."  If I remember my polisci class correctly, anyway.  At that time, I believe it would have been speech that presented, "clear and present danger."  SCOTUS later clarified.

Anyway, I learned that when I voted for Ron Paul in the '08 primary, I was throwing in with Nazis.  Who knew/  ::)

Offline Invisible NanoGhost

• Big Montana
  • Liked:
  • Just here for a few laughs. I'll take yours.
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 06:56:22 PM »
That's okay.  By this time in history, most of the internet has thrown in with the Nazi's.  Just ask enough people, and you'll find out that everyone else is a nazi.

See also:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4lJ9vsZjMU
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 06:58:50 PM by Invisible NanoGhost »

Offline Pi_Master

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2009, 07:25:43 PM »
That's one of the funniest of those that I've seen yet.  Godwin must be rolling in his grave... which is kinda weird, cause I don't think he's even dead yet.

Offline carlobee

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2009, 09:55:45 PM »
That's one of the funniest of those that I've seen yet.  Godwin must be rolling in his grave... which is kinda weird, cause I don't think he's even dead yet.

Ditto ;D

Offline JonahFalconNYC

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2009, 09:57:01 AM »
I learned that Nazis tend to be whisper thin geeky guys who transform into Nazi Man when removing their glasses a la Clark Kent into Superman.

Offline space_mutiny

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked:
  • Dream busted
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2009, 11:34:11 AM »
This short made me think. Damn you, short!
Oh bite me, it's fun!

Offline JonahFalconNYC

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2010, 10:08:29 AM »
This is one of the few shorts that actually had a point and presented it well. This was probably for a high school Civics classroom sometime in the 70's.

Espousing Hitler on his birthday is one thing. Doing in front of a synagogue without a permit? Illegal as hell.