Author Topic: Homicide: Life on the Street  (Read 8511 times)

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 3
  • May the Porkins be with you.
Re: Homicide: Life on the Street
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2007, 08:45:57 AM »
We then went across the street to the Waterfront Hotel Tavern, which stood in for the bar Lewis, Munch, and Bayliss bought. We had a nice dinner upstairs (hooray for Old Bay fries), then played pool on the table where Brisco cleaned out Munch in that Law & Order crossover.

I am soooooo jealous!  Ya know, I'm making a trip to Baltimore on business next August, I may have to venture down that way myself... I would love to get a beer at that bar!

It's absolutely worth it, and really easy. You can get the water taxi at a number of points on Inner Harbor and take a nice boat ride around to Fell's Point. The Waterfront is barely a minute's walk from the taxi landing. The girlfriend and I went back a few months later on her vacation. Fell's Point is really cool. We went to Jimmy's and The Daily Grind as well, for Homicide fans.

Offline BEERxTaco

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 14
  • Does this bug you? I'm not touching you...
    • BEERx
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2007, 09:13:02 AM »
Coincidentally, the episode I was referring to earlier, The Subway, airs tomorrow (Friday Jan 12, 2007) at 11:00 am eastern on WGN... (they run HLOTS every day at that time...)
"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son"
-Dean Wormer, Animal House R.I.P.

Offline Rufus T

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2007, 12:57:39 PM »
 The show is awesome. I just bought the first two seasons on dvd. I would've bought the whole series but money is kinda tight. Anyway the series was great. Detective Munch rules! Pembleton rules as well!
Aaahh! This movie just throws you violently into the next scene!

Offline BEERxTaco

• Not Hurt By Pain
    • BEERx
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2007, 12:59:28 PM »
Munch and Pembleton are great, and for some reason I always liked Meldrick Lewis too...

Offline Andrew1911

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2007, 01:45:15 PM »
Homicide was fan-fucking-tastic. The only two shows I rate as highly are The Shield and Oz. I understand that The Wire is good, but I saw the first two episodes and just couldn't figure out what was going on at all.

Well, and The Prisoner will always be the best TV show of all time bar none, no competition, case closed.

I saw the first three episodes of The Wire. I didn't like it that much. But the fans of the show keep telling me I've got to keep on watching it because it gets a lot better and the heavy exposition pays off in the end.

Offline Andrew1911

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2007, 01:47:34 PM »
Coincidentally, the episode I was referring to earlier, The Subway, airs tomorrow (Friday Jan 12, 2007) at 11:00 am eastern on WGN... (they run HLOTS every day at that time...)

I wish I was home at that time. Such a great show.

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2007, 05:07:11 PM »
Munch and Pembleton are great, and for some reason I always liked Meldrick Lewis too...

Meldrick was always entertaining, but there are a couple of asshole-ish things he did that made me him really unlikable later on, especially to my man Kellerman.

Poor Munch. Such an underused character. Apparently he revealed in a recent SVU episode that he had a fight with his father right before he killed himself. That explains a lot about his attitude.

Offline Andrew1911

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2007, 05:10:59 PM »

Meldrick was always entertaining, but there are a couple of asshole-ish things he did that made me him really unlikable later on, especially to my man Kellerman.

Poor Munch. Such an underused character. Apparently he revealed in a recent SVU episode that he had a fight with his father right before he killed himself. That explains a lot about his attitude.

I also found interesting in Season 3 of Homicide when Steve Buscemi's character is killed that Bayliss doesn't continue to investigate the case. You know who did it. Munch. His alibi is not reliable. I always found that to be a little great thing they put in. I don't know why they didn't try to bring that up in later seasons.

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2007, 05:22:13 PM »

I also found interesting in Season 3 of Homicide when Steve Buscemi's character is killed that Bayliss doesn't continue to investigate the case. You know who did it. Munch. His alibi is not reliable. I always found that to be a little great thing they put in. I don't know why they didn't try to bring that up in later seasons.

Richard Belzer has stated that he believes Munch killed him, but there's also plausible speculation that Gee did it. My money's on Munch, though.

Offline Andrew1911

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2007, 05:30:19 PM »

Richard Belzer has stated that he believes Munch killed him, but there's also plausible speculation that Gee did it. My money's on Munch, though.

It just makes so much sense Munch would do it. He witnessed what happened. He had more incinitive to kill him than anyone else.

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2007, 05:36:42 PM »
Your avatar just makes me smile, Andrew. I may have to abandon Bender for a while...

You might be interested to know I'm in the early stages of compiling a Homicide soundtrack. (I'm thinking of calling it "Killer Cuts.") I've got the complete listing of songs used on the show, but some choice selections are proving hard to find. Any suggestions?

Offline Andrew1911

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2007, 05:37:46 PM »
Your avatar just makes me smile, Andrew. I may have to abandon Bender for a while...

You might be interested to know I'm in the early stages of compiling a Homicide soundtrack. (I'm thinking of calling it "Killer Cuts.") I've got the complete listing of songs used on the show, but some choice selections are proving hard to find. Any suggestions?

I don't know. Sometimes, the songs used really irritated me. Like in the biker gang episode, they used a song that was so ill fitting, it hurt me emotionally and phsically.

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2007, 05:39:58 PM »

I don't know. Sometimes, the songs used really irritated me. Like in the biker gang episode, they used a song that was so ill fitting, it hurt me emotionally and phsically.

I've found that most fit pretty well. The only ones that bothered me were popular songs that I recognized, because they distracted from the show. That Live song when Kellerman goes to visit his dad at the bottling plant, for example.

Offline daltysmilth

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 45
  • This is MY Enterprise. Eat it, Abrams!
    • My Space
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2007, 01:28:23 PM »
I've seen every episode of the first 3 seasons, and the movie, all of which I loved.  Pembleton and Bayliss are probably my favorite characters.  I just love the relationship between the two characters.  My favorite bit of dialogue between the characters is when Bayliss (who is not a Catholic) talks about how he went to a Catholic Mass once, and he was so hungry by the time it got to communion that when he went up to receive it, he had to ask for two wafers instead of one.  And Pembleton (who is Catholic) says something like "You got communion?  You're not Catholic."  And Bayliss asks "Is that bad?"  And Pembleton says "If my god wins, you're going to Hell."  It makes me smile just thinking about it.  It makes me think there must have been someone on the writing staff at the time who was Catholic, because it is a surprisinly not well-known fact that non-Catholics aren't supposed to receive communion at a Catholic Mass.  Which might sound unfair, but you have to consider that Catholics are not supposed to receive communion at non-Catholic church services either.  But anyway, it was a joke based on a part of Catholic doctrine that even a lot of Catholics seem to be unaware of, which I enjoyed immensely.  It was something akin to when they'd make some obscure reference to Catholicism on MST3k.  (Like the "It's Liberation Theology verses Opus Dei" comment during Future War.)

Incidentally, has anyone else read Homicide: A Year On The Killing Streets by David Simon?  It's the book on which the show was based.
CROW:  (Sinisterly) The Secret Government Eggo Project...
--Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie

"Jason, Chess is a game of chance."
-- My friend Shawn to my friend Jason upon being defeated at a game of Chess.

http://gh.ffshrine.org?r=112104

Offline BEERxTaco

• Not Hurt By Pain
    • BEERx
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2007, 02:38:57 PM »
Yes, I own that book  :)