login

Author Topic: A question for anyone who has this RiffTrax  (Read 2013 times)

Offline JohnnyLongbone

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
A question for anyone who has this RiffTrax
« on: August 03, 2009, 12:03:16 AM »
The catalog says "The audio commentary is only guaranteed to work with the Legend Films edition of Reefer Madness".   Is this just a way of selling more DVDs, or is there an actual difference between the Legend Films version and the original, other than being colorized?  Or perhaps, do some of the riffs only make sense with color?  Like "That gut looks like Smurfette" or something.  Ideally, this question is for anyone who has seem both versions.  Please advise.
Thanks

*This question has been appropriately modified and cross-posted in the Little Shop of Horrors board.

Offline Conor

• Yardstick
  • Global Moderator
  • Liked: 89
    • conorlastowka.com
Re: A question for anyone who has this RiffTrax
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 01:59:43 PM »
It's certainly not attempting to be dishonest, if that's what you are asking.  There's a very good chance that your copy of Reefer Madness/LSOH will be different than the Legend Films DVD.  Public domain movies have different cuts, could be encoded differently, any number of things could trip up the timing, which is vital to enjoying the riffs.  Then again, it could work.  It just isn't likely.

Offline JohnnyLongbone

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
Re: A question for anyone who has this RiffTrax
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 02:13:42 PM »
Thanks for replying, and no, I assuredly didn't mean to imply any attempt at dishonesty.  (Maybe just salesmanship)  ((Which in some cases is the same thing))
I went ahead and purchased the MP3 and used it with my downloaded public domain version, and it was indeed different.  It had all the same scenes and content, but the time was different.  Had I burned the CD and played it with a DVD, it wouldn't have worked at all, but since I like to use my video editing software (Magix) to sync them both up and burn onto the same DVD, it took some chopping, stretching and all around fenegeling, but I got it to work out just fine.  I'll probably do the same with Little Shop of Horrors.