login

Author Topic: Ok can someone tell me what was so great about Michael Jackson's music?  (Read 3474 times)

Doctor Who?

Every since I was a kid I have been trying to figure it out and now with everyone saying how great it was I am lost.

It's sounds like like every other piece of dated 80s music that I would never listen to.

Can someone please explain what I am missing.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 10:36:33 AM by Doctor Who? »

Offline Plastic Self-Cleaning Duck

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2
  • Duck!!!
"It's like trying to tell a stranger 'bout rock n roll..."

- "Do You Believe In Magic" by The Lovin Spoonful

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3782
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
You had to grow up in the 80's to really understand just how 'hypnotic' it really was, I think :-\

I'm just as sick and tired of the whole death saga as everyone else, but if I hear any of his 80's hits, I can't change the station :-[
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 08:28:00 AM by RVR II »

• Mr Bungle
  • Duck!!!
Some of us would rather remember the Jackson 5 stuff over the disco music

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
Yeah, I still need to refresh myself on my 'A-B-Cs' and '1-2-3s' once in a while :P

Offline Rattrap007

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 22
  • Decepticons forever!
Yeah it is a "You really needed to grow up in the 80s to get it" type of thing. I too am sick of hearing about his death on the news. His music is great and his dancing was amazing. He was always odd. But after the Dangerous album he got really weird with excessive surgery and just got really really creepy behavior. His music will always be great.

Doctor Who?

Maybe it's the fact that I have always been a rock and roll and jazz type person,that and I grew up in the 90s.

I have tried to listen to his music and like it but I just never get it.  the closest I have ever gotten is liking the Weird Al versions but that has more to do with the lyrics and the videos then the music.

• Mr Bungle
  • Duck!!!
Yeah, I still need to refresh myself on my 'A-B-Cs' and '1-2-3s' once in a while :P
What about "Never Can Say Goodbye", "Maybe Tomorrow"....how about just "I Want You Back"?  It was "bubblegum soul".   ;)

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
What about "Never Can Say Goodbye", "Maybe Tomorrow"....how about just "I Want You Back"?  It was "bubblegum soul".   ;)
Sorry. That one song was my limit 8)

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
You had to grow up in the 80's to really understand just how 'hypnotic' it really was, I think :-\

I'm just as sick and tired of the whole death saga as everyone else, but if I hear any of his 80's hits, I can't change the station :-[

What do you mean by "grow up in the 80's"?

I was born late March 1981, so I was just a little kid during the 80s, having been in 3rd grade when the decade ended.  I never fancied MJ's music that much.  Did you mean something more like "born in the mid-70s and went through grade school in the 80's"?

My sister was a pretty big fan of Michael Jackson.  She really loved the 80s.  But eventually Michael Jackson fell out of favor with her.  You could say that the 80s ended the day she sold her Michael Jackson albums; December 31st, 1989.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
Yeah, more like junior high to high school in the 80's.. That's when his music was all over the place that I remember.. 8)

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!

The devil you say! Off The Wall is a great album.
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

• Mr Bungle
  • Duck!!!

The devil you say! Off The Wall is a great album.
I agree.  And I've got nothing against the dance stuff.  I even loved "Dancin' Machine" when it was known around my high school as that 'automatic systematic shit".....

(which also answers the question of growing up in the 80's or not)

It's just that Jackson 5 was more varied music, IMHO.  "Off the Wall" was the start of all dance music.  There were a few ballads but they were cloying and sappy..

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
I was born in 63 and I NEVER cared for Jackson's music.   I've been more of a rock/jazz/blues guy.    Probably just personal tastes.   

Offline bettertomorrowamy

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 12
  • Get this lazy Manc twat an Emmy!
On timeout