Author Topic: The 2009 NFL Season of Disarray..  (Read 76291 times)

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
Re: The 2009 NFL Season of Disarray..
« Reply #1170 on: January 24, 2010, 11:26:16 PM »
Ask a question....since I'll admit I know the game mostly but not every little nuance....

Why didn't the Saints try a field goal with a second left?

I know they were probably just out of the kicker's regular distance and therefore it was unlikely that he'd make it....but that didn't make it impossible.  And if somehow he pulled it off they would spare themselves having to hope for the coin toss to go their way - which seems to be the main way you win in overtime.

But what did they have to lose if he tried and failed?  Kicks are almost never blocked anymore and if he missed it couldn't be run back, could it?

What am I missing?

Well, the ball was on their own 48 after the interception. A kick from there would be approximately 69 yards, The all-time NFL record is 63 yards. And a field goal attempt can be returned. I must say that I'd like to find out how far the kick that won it for them would have traveled. That was a moonshot.

I think the idea was probably to take a quick shot down-field to try and get into range but I don't think anything materialized.
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline Plastic Self-Cleaning Duck

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #1171 on: January 25, 2010, 12:49:04 AM »
And a field goal attempt can be returned.....

Okay....I didn't know that since every missed field goal I've seen the ball just went over to the other team from the spot of the attempt no matter where that was.

I don't know...I still think it would have been worthwhile to try a kick.  As you would a "Hail Mary".  I mean, teams risk those being run back if they're caught by the other team, right?

For some reason if I were the Saints I would have felt more comfortable trying a kick than leaving our chance to get into the Superbowl to a coin toss.....

(and yeah, there's a chance that the team that loses the toss will get a turn to score but....when was the last time, really?)

Offline Crow T. Robot 666

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 0
  • Do not offend the chair leg of truth.
    • Teeth of the Divine
« Reply #1172 on: January 25, 2010, 09:06:10 AM »
Well I was pretty sure the Saints were going to win all this week and in the first five minutes of this game I was sure of it.  The Vikings just don't seem to have their heads in this game and the Saints are pretty much unbeatable.  I'm pretty sure the Saints are going to win every Super bowl for the next few at years,they are just that good a team.  I really don't think there is a team in the NFL right now that can beat them.

That trailer for Mass Effect 2 was cool,why did my 360 have to break? :speechless:

Yours too eh.

Doctor Who?

« Reply #1173 on: January 25, 2010, 12:31:56 PM »
Well I was pretty sure the Saints were going to win all this week and in the first five minutes of this game I was sure of it.  The Vikings just don't seem to have their heads in this game and the Saints are pretty much unbeatable.  I'm pretty sure the Saints are going to win every Super bowl for the next few at years,they are just that good a team.  I really don't think there is a team in the NFL right now that can beat them.

That trailer for Mass Effect 2 was cool,why did my 360 have to break? :speechless:

Yours too eh.

Yep about six months ago it was not covered so I have not gotten a new one yet.  It sucks because I was half way done with the first Mass Effect when it broke.

Offline TeamRAD

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 103
  • RAAAADDDDD!
« Reply #1174 on: January 25, 2010, 11:12:52 PM »

First off, I'm so happy for the city of New Orleans!

*blows into the Viking's horn*

I, along w/ many, waited for the real Brett Favre to arrive at any point this season, and I was dancing like mad when he threw that interception towards the end of regulation. This entire escapade was so worth it for that one moment! So Monday was most awesome...

The Milwaukee JS, lead away...

That's right, Tracy, do the Jared Allen, you're going to Miami...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/NC0rcPIqguA&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/NC0rcPIqguA&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1</a>

This is not Detroit, man, this is the Super Bowl!!!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/M2Iw2YejS9A&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/M2Iw2YejS9A&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1</a>

Brad Childress Consoles Self Over Loss With A Little Pedophilia...

http://www.theonion.com/content/from_print/brad_childress_consoles_self

and finally...

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_3115_Another_chapter_in_the_BrettFavre_legacy.html

I love karma.

This has been one hell of a tough year for me...Packers fan

Are you ready for NFC North domination, TTYT? We're on the verge of becoming a juggernaut.

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Einstein

Offline TeamRAD

• Climbed El Capitan
  • RAAAADDDDD!
« Reply #1175 on: January 26, 2010, 12:16:44 AM »
This is too funny, and I'm never gonna get any work done this morning...

:D X 100

« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 12:19:11 AM by TeamRAD »
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Einstein

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #1176 on: January 26, 2010, 05:09:27 AM »
This is too funny, and I'm never gonna get any work done this morning...

:D X 100

That could be the funniest thing I have seen this week.

Offline TeamRAD

• Climbed El Capitan
  • RAAAADDDDD!
« Reply #1177 on: January 26, 2010, 03:41:11 PM »

I giggle every time I see it, Bob. It's genius. I wanna become friends w/ Shonn Greene!

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #1178 on: January 26, 2010, 03:58:46 PM »
Here we go again? He says he's not gonna waffle but I can't take anything he says too seriously. I do hope he decides to come back. He was really fun to watch this season.

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. -- The Minnesota Vikings must wait to hear from Brett Favre about whether he'll play next season. Coach Brad Childress says he won't set a deadline for the 40-year-old quarterback to decide.

Childress said Tuesday at his season-ending news conference that he'd prefer to know sooner rather than later, but that the team will plan for both possibilities. Favre insisted after the NFC Championship Game loss in New Orleans that he wouldn't take months to reach a decision, unlike last summer's back and forth.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #1179 on: January 26, 2010, 04:11:33 PM »

I giggle every time I see it, Bob. It's genius. I wanna become friends w/ Shonn Greene!

The Shonn Greene comments in there were what mad it for me!   :D

Seriously though, that was some of the weakest ass tackling I have ever seen.   I hope he is getting killed by the press and teammates over that.

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #1180 on: January 29, 2010, 02:41:44 PM »
Warner Calls It a Career

Next step...Hall of Fame.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3894
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #1181 on: January 29, 2010, 02:44:51 PM »
Warner Calls It a Career

Well Hell..  :(

Maybe the Rams will try to 'coax him out of retirement' soon :D

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #1182 on: January 29, 2010, 04:44:06 PM »
Warner Calls It a Career

So many happy Rams - Kurt Warnet memories.   There will NEVER be another season by any other team like the 1999 Rams had..... it was the most amazing thing I have ever witnessed.    And I was there for every game.

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #1183 on: January 29, 2010, 04:56:04 PM »
Warner Calls It a Career

So many happy Rams - Kurt Warnet memories.   There will NEVER be another season by any other team like the 1999 Rams had..... it was the most amazing thing I have ever witnessed.    And I was there for every game.

That is so cool you got to witness that in person. Pure magic. I remember watching the game against the 49ers in St. Louis when Issac Bruce basically broke into tears of joy after catching his fourth TD. I remember thinking "This team is for real!"

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #1184 on: January 30, 2010, 07:08:13 AM »
Warner Calls It a Career

That is so cool you got to witness that in person. Pure magic. I remember watching the game against the 49ers in St. Louis when Issac Bruce basically broke into tears of joy after catching his fourth TD. I remember thinking "This team is for real!"

My favorite memory from that game  was late in the game and one of the 49ers defensive backs (Nate McMillian I think), intercepted a ball in the end zone and was busy flexing his muscles and yelling at the fans.   Everyone in my sections started yelling back and pointing to the field behind him..... there was a flag on the play for pass interference on him.   He turned his head, saw the flag, then lowered his head and walked away.