Author Topic: Problem with aspect ratio: fullscreen squishy instead of widescreen  (Read 2773 times)

Offline eegah

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 220
  • Against the ninjmmmppphhhh
    • My MST3K Movie Poster Collection
I used the widescreen version of the movie, but my reencoded DVD shows up with black bars on the side and the widescreen video squished down to 4:3. I haven't had this problem with other widescreen DVDs. Did anyone else have this happen to them? Any ideas on what the problem is?

I could reencode the video to the proper aspect ratio, but I think that then I'll end up with small video with bars on the top and side.

Thanks.

Offline Satan's Jockstrap

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 0
    • TorgoLives.com
Re: Problem with aspect ratio: fullscreen squishy instead of widescreen
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 10:13:55 AM »
I used the widescreen version of the movie, but my reencoded DVD shows up with black bars on the side and the widescreen video squished down to 4:3. I haven't had this problem with other widescreen DVDs. Did anyone else have this happen to them? Any ideas on what the problem is?

I could reencode the video to the proper aspect ratio, but I think that then I'll end up with small video with bars on the top and side.

Thanks.

Here are two freeware programs which did the trick for me:

http://www.digital-digest.com/dvd/downloads/showsoftware_restream_246.html
http://www.videohelp.com/tools/DVDPatcher

I used DVD Decrypter to rip the dvd and it kept outputting a 4:3 M2V file when it should have been 16:9.  Just open that M2V file in either one of those programs (I use ReStream more often) and change the aspect ratio to 4:3.

I hope that helps.

:)
There is no place like that here.

Offline Piobman

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 119
    • Riff Cover Art
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 11:44:03 AM »

Thanks.

It's possible it is just encoded wrong. If the black bars are a part of the video, then you need to re-encode. You can tell if when played on the computer you can see the side black bars. If you can't see the black bars when played on the computer then using the restream program the other fellow mentioned may work.

Offline eegah

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 220
  • Against the ninjmmmppphhhh
    • My MST3K Movie Poster Collection
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 02:52:24 PM »

Thanks.

Here are two freeware programs which did the trick for me:

http://www.digital-digest.com/dvd/downloads/showsoftware_restream_246.html
http://www.videohelp.com/tools/DVDPatcher

I used DVD Decrypter to rip the dvd and it kept outputting a 4:3 M2V file when it should have been 16:9.  Just open that M2V file in either one of those programs (I use ReStream more often) and change the aspect ratio to 4:3.

I hope that helps.

:)

Thanks a bunch! ReStream did the trick! (although I changed the AR to 16:9, which is obviously what you meant to say)

Also, thanks Piobman for your input! Turns out it was just the aspect ratio problem.

Offline Satan's Jockstrap

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 0
    • TorgoLives.com
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 05:39:02 AM »

Thanks a bunch! ReStream did the trick! (although I changed the AR to 16:9, which is obviously what you meant to say)

Great!  I'm glad that helped.  And, yeah, 16:9 is what I meant to type...D'Oh!

8)
There is no place like that here.