login

Author Topic: Wow really no love for the Running Man Rifftrax Presents I see  (Read 14050 times)

Offline TheUnabeefer

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 937
  • I am a flying cow... worship me or DIE!!!
    • The Unabeefer Beefs
Re: Wow really no love for the Running Man Rifftrax Presents I see
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2009, 04:05:28 PM »
I am waiting on the disc from Netflix....   I don't think I have ever seen the movie itself anyways.
...and there he was, reigning supreme at number two.  The One... The Only... The Unabeefer.

Offline matthew j elliott

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 30
  • England - It's Totally a Place.
    • RiffTrax Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2009, 02:02:00 AM »
Chad Vader really bothers me as a guest riffer.  So I'll pass on this one, even though I own the movie already. 
I liked the Dirty Dancing riff well enough to give Ghost a try soon.  Since Tron wasn't very good, and Matt Elliot was kind of boring, I won't be purchasing tracks based on the Rifftrax name alone anymore. 

I wouldn't either, except psychotic compulsion forces me to.

That's pretty much what I rely on

Offline _ykv

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2009, 08:43:29 AM »
Since Tron wasn't very good, and Matt Elliot was kind of boring, I won't be purchasing tracks based on the Rifftrax name alone anymore. 

Makes sense, I guess.  It's not the "RiffTrax" brand that is inherently funny, it's the people performing.  And I'm amazed at the number of variables involved in even that equation.  I didn't find Matthew Elliot to be boring, just ... alone.  I'd like to hear Matthew do a riff with a partner or two.  Solo tracks seem to me to be incredibly difficult to pull off; even some of Mike Nelson's solo efforts are, for me, in that category of "generally ok" but not "hilariously funny".  For example: I thought Road House was hilarious; I was generally underwhelmed by Point Break.  I thought Matthew Elliot had some pretty funny riffs, but I also thought his trax suffered from the Lonely Guy in the Sound Booth syndrome (which is obviously not his fault).

I've been watching some old MST3k episodes lately, and finding that some of the same variables are at work.  The writers for season 1 and 2 were mostly the same writers for season 5, 6, and 7, right?  But I'm not enjoying the performance of the earlier seasons as much as the later seasons; the jokes are the same quality, in my estimation, but the performances seem to be less energetic and more deadpan, and to me that's just not as funny.  But that's just my preference.

Some people here liked Ghost and Tron.  I found it hard to get used to the performance styles in both of those trax; a few laughs here and there, but on the whole it was like trying to get used to a new pair of shoes.  Why?  I hear that those two trax were written by many of the same writers who contribute to "regular" RiffTrax commentaries.  The quality of the jokes seemed to be more than adequate; I just wasn't used to those voices, those particular line-readings, those specific deliveries.  Maybe I'll enjoy the next Stratton/Varney production more, because I've become a little more accustomed to their style; maybe I'll like the next PS&JC production better, because the voices are a bit more familiar to me now.  Who knows?

All of that to say, there seem to be a lot of elements that have to mix well in order to make a good RiffTrax: a generally digestible movie (oh my good god, but Tron was painful to watch!), quality riff writing, familiar performers, good timing and delivery, voices that are easy on the ears (I can't imagine enjoying a riff recorded by, say, Gilbert Gottfried, no matter how funny the jokes), a good production mix (I'm looking at you, low mic levels on Red Dawn!), and probably a few more that I can't articulate right now.

I'm not sure I could sit through another viewing of Running Man, I don't really know the Blame Society performers, and I don't know how well Chad Vader fits into a non-SW context.  But I'll probably buy the riff anyway; or maybe I'll wait until Blame Society produces a riff for a movie I'm more interested in seeing riffed.  Who knows?

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3857
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2009, 08:55:14 AM »
Since Tron wasn't very good, and Matt Elliot was kind of boring, I won't be purchasing tracks based on the Rifftrax name alone anymore. 

Makes sense, I guess.  It's not the "RiffTrax" brand that is inherently funny, it's the people performing.  And I'm amazed at the number of variables involved in even that equation.  I didn't find Matthew Elliot to be boring, just ... alone.  I'd like to hear Matthew do a riff with a partner or two.  Solo tracks seem to me to be incredibly difficult to pull off; even some of Mike Nelson's solo efforts are, for me, in that category of "generally ok" but not "hilariously funny".  For example: I thought Road House was hilarious; I was generally underwhelmed by Point Break.  I thought Matthew Elliot had some pretty funny riffs, but I also thought his trax suffered from the Lonely Guy in the Sound Booth syndrome (which is obviously not his fault).

I'd concur with this as well..

If Matt had a partner (besides Disembaudio) I may reconsider buying more of his works.. :-\

No Offense Matt, just constructive critisizm :)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 08:57:59 AM by RVR II »

Offline Piobman

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 142
    • Riff Cover Art
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2009, 12:42:11 AM »
Chad Vader really bothers me as a guest riffer.  So I'll pass on this one, even though I own the movie already. 
I liked the Dirty Dancing riff well enough to give Ghost a try soon.  Since Tron wasn't very good, and Matt Elliot was kind of boring, I won't be purchasing tracks based on the Rifftrax name alone anymore. 

I wouldn't either, except psychotic compulsion forces me to.

That's pretty much what I rely on

I always really enjoy matt's riffing. The dirty dancing one was possibly stronger than some rifftrax's... but I didn't care for the running man one. I'm in agreement that chad vader seems awkward and out of place when not in the star wars world. They would do better to do with out him... or at least minimally. I think he has a place when part of a joke... just not as a normal riffer for me.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5713
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2009, 07:02:11 PM »
I just finished watching this one. Pretty disappointed, really. Way too much reliance on bad puns. And the Arnold droll voice is funny for some things, but when way overused it takes away from the performance of the riffs, same goes for Chad Vader, but the two together makes it so much worse. We might as well have had Schwarzenegger himself doing the riffs. I was also disappointed they didn't rip into the girls AWFUL acting more. Honestly, this movie wanted to make Arnold look and sound better so they hired an actress who was even worse.

Offline MSTJedi

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 604
  • In a not too distant future far, far away. . . .
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2009, 03:58:56 PM »
Huh . . . Maybe I just like bad puns, because I loved this riff. The tube "racing" riffing had me in tears.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2009, 04:55:05 PM »
Huh . . . Maybe I just like bad puns, because I loved this riff. The tube "racing" riffing had me in tears.

Normally I am not a fan of puns, but since it suits Arnold's normal puns in his movies, it fit.    I loved the riff too.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2639
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2009, 05:30:07 PM »
To go back to the topic of the thread, I think this is also the first Rifftrax release to not get a plug on Satellite News.
FINE

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2009, 07:04:13 PM »
To go back to the topic of the thread, I think this is also the first Rifftrax release to not get a plug on Satellite News.

Philistines!

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2009, 08:29:32 AM »

It is, which strikes me as a bit of a shame because if any movie is not going to be plugged on Sattelite News, it should be an ostensibly good movie, so that we can be spared the whining that always comes with those announcements.  I can't foresee anybody claiming that The Running Man is too good a movie to be riffed on, and a betrayal of the sacred artistic vision that was MST3K.

Offline MSTJedi

• Climbed El Capitan
    • Facebook
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2009, 09:23:46 AM »

It is, which strikes me as a bit of a shame because if any movie is not going to be plugged on Sattelite News, it should be an ostensibly good movie, so that we can be spared the whining that always comes with those announcements.  I can't foresee anybody claiming that The Running Man is too good a movie to be riffed on, and a betrayal of the sacred artistic vision that was MST3K.

There was a "sacred artistic vision" to MST3K? And here I thought it was a bunch of comedians doing a puppet show to make fun of crappy movies . . .

spaceforarent

« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2009, 10:36:19 AM »
Just watched it, thought it was pretty good. I love hating bad puns, so there really couldn't have been enough of them for me. However, there seemed to be too many we-can't-understand-what-they're-saying jokes. I just think there needed to be more variety outside of those two kinds of jokes. Of the non-MKB presents I've seen, I'd rate it below Tron, and well....that's all I've seen of those. It's a little harder for me to just go out and spend money on DVDs when I haven't even heard of the people involved, but I will get to Ghost/Dirty Dancing and the Matthew J Elliot ones eventually.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2009, 09:53:10 PM »
Just watched it, I thought it was solid.  There was nothing spectacular but I liked a lot of the the tech jokes.

Perimeter deactivated.

Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline MSTJedi

• Climbed El Capitan
    • Facebook
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2009, 10:02:26 PM »
Just watched it, I thought it was solid.  There was nothing spectacular but I liked a lot of the the tech jokes.

Perimeter deactivated.

**Pulls out Casio keyboard**