Author Topic: Tim. Eric. Is their show awesome? Did they really do a great job? Discuss.  (Read 2196 times)

Offline yeahsonic

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 0
  • WAMACHEETUM!
Alright, so when I woke up this morning, I was not thinking about the "Tim and Eric Awesome Show Great Job" show. And I wasn't thinking about it at all for probably 3 straight months before that. No, I think it's safe to say that the "Tim and Eric" show is usually the furthest thing from my mind. So why am I thinking about it now? Because I gave it another chance when I saw a few clips of it on YouTube.

My diagnosis: it is still creepy as hell, with occasional moments of comic brilliance. Actually, when I say "moments," I really mean "seconds." So if I feel this show is mostly a multicolored early 90's flashback with a short attention span and identity crisis, how come I can't get it out of my head now?

The most frustrating part of this whole dilemma is that I REALLY want to like it! It has some of my favorite actors and musicians as guest stars playing unsettling characters -- of course, almost every character in that damn show is as unsettling as a David Lynch marathon. Guest stars like Weird Al Yankovic and John C. Reilly. And I'm no stranger to weird comedy! I used to watch the Adult Swim lineup religiously! Robot Chicken and Aqua Teen Hunger Force are 2 of my favorite shows! And "Tom Goes To The Mayor," Tim and Eric's first project on Adult Swim was brilliant and hilarious! I'm also a fan of the stranger comedians like Andy Kaufman and Monty Python. So why do I so dislike the "Tim and Eric" show? Not only do I dislike it, but I feel queasy and dirty after I watch it, like I've just been violated!

Anyone else feel this way about this show? I've never had such a strong reaction and revulsion to a TV show before. And yet, I sometimes feel like I can't look away when I'm watching it. I feel like these two guys are trying to give us a supreme mindf*** and implant our heads with nightmares thinly disguised as entertainment. I began to think more about what their goals are behind what they do. Are they evil scientists experimenting with human behavior through their TV show? Are they really just trying to put on a serious show as an art project to see how many people mistake it as a comedy. Or do they really not know how to be funny anymore and they're just coasting on their reputation of "Tom Goes To The Mayor?"

And am I spending way too much time analysing this? Yeah, I definitely am. BUT... the fact remains that they've just been renewed for a 5th season. Either they've got true comedic genius in their veins, or they've managed to pull one of the most succesful jokes on a TV channel ever. What are your thoughts on the growing "Tim and Eric" phenomenon, gentle viewers?

Offline Nergol

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 51
Cartoon Network hasn't produced a really good original show since Cartoon Planet, and hasn't produced a halfway decent original show since Sealab 2021.

Offline Plastic Self-Cleaning Duck

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2
  • Duck!!!
Never watched it. No interest.

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
Cartoon Network hasn't produced a really good original show since Cartoon Planet, and hasn't produced a halfway decent original show since Sealab 2021.
What of Frisky Dingo and Superjail?

Doctor Who?

What about The Venture Brothers,Metalocalypse,and Robot Chicken?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 05:43:50 PM by Doctor Who? »

Offline torgosPizza

• Administrator
  • Liked: 247
  • Heaven is nowhere, just look to the stars.
    • RiffTrax
Metalocalypse I can take or leave, but the other two are brilliant.

Also, please look for "Korgoth the Barbarian", a pilot of a show that AFAIK is never going to see the light of day. Which is a huge shame, because the pilot ep is hilarious.

Offline Nergol

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 51
Robot Chicken is very hit or miss. That's not necessarily an insult - almost all experimental sketch comedy is. We tend to forget how much of Monty Python misfired, because we remember/trade lines from/send YouTube links to the hits, and the misses just kinda fade out of our memory. Same with the first-cast SNL, Kids In The Hall, SCTV, and so on. Heck, even MST3K was that way - we remember classic lines like "Normal Vieeeeeeeewwwwwwww" or "Not the Hitler Building!", but there are plenty of throwaway lines in every episode as well.

I'd even say that that kind of sums up my view of the difference between Joel MST3K and Mike MST3K. Joel MST3K was more evenly and consistently amusing throughout each episode, while Mike MST3K had more dead spots and throwaway lines, but also had a lot more quotable lines and laugh out loud moments.

Anyhow, I'll admit that when Robot Chicken hits, it's great, but its miss ratio is just a little too high for me.

Offline Tyrant

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 71
  • 2007-11 Satanic Humanitarian Award Winner
It may just be me, but I think Robot Chicken is funniest when it's riffing on 80s and 90s pop culture. That's what initially drew us to the show to start with. They started drifting away from that a bit in the last season.

Also, please look for "Korgoth the Barbarian", a pilot of a show that AFAIK is never going to see the light of day. Which is a huge shame, because the pilot ep is hilarious.

I would give my left arm to see that show produced. I thought it was still pending though.

Also, shouldn't this thread go into the TV section?

Doctor Who?

Robot Chicken is very hit or miss. That's not necessarily an insult - almost all experimental sketch comedy is. We tend to forget how much of Monty Python misfired, because we remember/trade lines from/send YouTube links to the hits, and the misses just kinda fade out of our memory. Same with the first-cast SNL, Kids In The Hall, SCTV, and so on. Heck, even MST3K was that way - we remember classic lines like "Normal Vieeeeeeeewwwwwwww" or "Not the Hitler Building!", but there are plenty of throwaway lines in every episode as well.

I'd even say that that kind of sums up my view of the difference between Joel MST3K and Mike MST3K. Joel MST3K was more evenly and consistently amusing throughout each episode, while Mike MST3K had more dead spots and throwaway lines, but also had a lot more quotable lines and laugh out loud moments.

Anyhow, I'll admit that when Robot Chicken hits, it's great, but its miss ratio is just a little too high for me.

Still The Venture Brothers is the best thing Adult Swim has ever produced.

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.

Still Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law is the best thing Adult Swim has ever produced.

Fixed.

And for the record, my favorite Robot Chicken moments are the completely random, two-second bits (they seemed to have more in the earl seasons than now), but the parodies are great too (loved the movie trailers one).

Doctor Who?

Brock Samson would kick Birdman's ass.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3072
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
I don't think even Harvey Birdman's most devout fans would argue that. :^)

Back to the original topic:

Tyrant and I have seen every episode of Tim and Eric, and it's definitely a love/hate thing with us. The show does, in fact, aspire to be as off-putting as possible. The makeup and lighting are lovingly ruined to make sure that nobody looks good at all, and they try to go for that Public Access television feel.

Enjoying an episode of Tim and Eric is a matter of convincing yourself to be OK with its offputtingness. You have to acknowledge that it's supposed to be there, and accept that it will be there. (This is actually the key to enjoying a lot of Adult Swim shows) The reason we put up with it, though, is because deep down it's very funny.

For every off-putting bit like this:
http://www.adultswim.com/video/?episodeID=8a2505951bb6e4ab011bc1ec4d8b0098

There are bits like these:
http://www.adultswim.com/video/?episodeID=405290c9d00d1779317d0a5b0ad90d10
http://www.adultswim.com/video/?episodeID=8a2505951feb0076011feb6a5be20030

Offline RobtheBarbarian

• Liked: 8
  • Snarl!
Having watched season 3 of Venture Brothers I have a hard times taking the idea that something better is or ever was on Adult Swim very seriously.

Offline Courtney

• Liked: 5
  • How Twilight could have been better.
    • Hobo Trashcan - Outside of the In-Crowd
I loved Perfect Hair Forever.

That's really all I have to say, because no one ever talks about it and I loved it.  On with your days now.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3072
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
Hamburgers should be up high....