Author Topic: READ ALL ABOUT IT! Rifftrax Player to be Open Source!  (Read 22191 times)

Offline bullwinkle

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked:
Re: READ ALL ABOUT IT! Rifftrax Player to be Open Source!
« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2010, 08:51:48 AM »
Rifftrax is a business!

Snarkiness aside, I help when I buy shorts.  I'm too poor to distribute handouts.

Offline Lazarus Dark

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: July 04, 2010, 11:52:20 PM »
Aw, where was this a year ago: http://hd.engadget.com/2010/07/04/vlc-1-1-released-adds-hardware-acceleration-and-new-codec-suppo/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+EngadgetHd+%28Engadget+HD%29
Apparently a new VLC version has support for some kind of add-on/extension system. I'm wondering if this would make a riff player add-on easier?

Btw, as far as funding... I don't understand why you need donations or have any trouble with funding. This is an investment for Rifftrax, and I can guarantee a stable, functional player will sell more riffs. All of my Rifftrax-loving friends (about 10 or so at least) all come to my house to watch them. None of them buy riffs. Why? Not for lack of wanting to. The facts are: The average person does NOT have the patience for manual synching. The current riff player is finicky at best on my system and absolutely will NOT work on any of my friends computers with any reliability. And, well, lets face it, most people will NOT have the dvd, you need a player that can synch with various video files.

I guarantee you at least 5 or more dedicated riff-buyers just in my circle if you had a stable player; imagine all the others that would buy more if they had a simple, stable player. Then my friends can stop asking me to make a copy of a presyched version for them and Rifftrax will make more money.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 12:07:26 AM by Lazarus Dark »

Offline bullwinkle

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2010, 10:31:41 AM »
amen.

I usually don't like to resort to snarky retorts, but I don't like the insinuation that my support of rifftrax isn't appreciated.  Manual synching is a pain in the a**, and it's smart business sense on their end to get a cross platform player up and running (without asking me to pay for it).  I'll remember that when I donate to rifftrax for anything that I perhaps may have seen that I didn't buy off the site (which I always do).  BTW, where did the rifftrax donate link go, with the hobo mike?

Offline Lazarus Dark

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: August 10, 2010, 06:14:57 PM »
BTW, where did the rifftrax donate link go, with the hobo mike?
Its there now, though personally I never saw the point. Even if you got a riff elsewhere... you could just go and buy the riff proper, no need to donate.

Anyway... so now the point has been pressed. I can't use the riff player anymore. I don't know why, I even tried uninstalling and reinstalling, both a version 1.1.1.5 and a version 1.9.8.8. Neither one works. I don't know why, I even tried disconnecting the internet (this used to work when there were server problems). So what happened and when do we get a new player.

I can't buy any more riffs if I don't have a player, I just don't have the patience for manual synching (and I like being able to pause too much, dvr has spoiled me)

Offline ex_soldier_ff7

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: September 11, 2010, 10:25:18 PM »
as far as having to own the dvd, would it be possible to have a purchase/download movie option on the same page as the riff trax of that movie.lets say that i want the titanic riff but i dont own the dvd i could buy/download the rifftrax and then buy/download the movie, or if i wanted the jurassic park riff but i had the dvd i wouldnt need to purchase the movie but the option would still be there. this would be very helpful on the shorts and iriffs.

Offline RoninFox

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked:
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #50 on: September 12, 2010, 12:58:46 AM »
as far as having to own the dvd, would it be possible to have a purchase/download movie option on the same page as the riff trax of that movie.lets say that i want the titanic riff but i dont own the dvd i could buy/download the rifftrax and then buy/download the movie, or if i wanted the jurassic park riff but i had the dvd i wouldnt need to purchase the movie but the option would still be there. this would be very helpful on the shorts and iriffs.

Rifftrax doesn't hold the rights to distribute a movie like Titanic, if they did they'd release it on thier own DVD or VOD file like they do with the shorts or public domain movies like Plan 9 and House on Haunted Hill.   At best they can link to somewhere else you can buy an official download, like they already do link to DVDs available on Amazon.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline ChadAlanJackson

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked:
  • I disuninwantinate you.
« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2010, 02:36:40 PM »
Based on the VLC bent in this thread, I may be completely out of school with this suggestion just hear (or read) me out:

But it would seem to me that something based on the XBMC (also the basis for Boxee and other media center software, and it is also cross-platform) plug-in architecture would be a good investment.  These would also give a better experience, and avoid the "sittin' at my computer watching RiffTrax" syndrome.  Obviously a Windows Media Center integration would widen the market, but you know, one thing at a time.

There are also additional commercial opportunities available:
When a user puts in a DVD or Blu-Ray of a movie (... maybe even fire up the ripped file) that has a Rifftrax available, have the plugin notify them... if you integrate and streamline the purchasing process, you could move a lot more product.  Show the catalog of download-able content to give people an opportunity to buy, download and watch them all with their remote. Mindless and Seamless are good.  Sand-alone players are acceptable (and definitely better than nothing), but I think that if you are after more market share, this is the money shot.

I love what you guys are doing... keep at it.