login

Author Topic: READ ALL ABOUT IT! Rifftrax Player to be Open Source!  (Read 22734 times)

Offline torgosPizza

• Administrator
  • Liked: 236
  • Heaven is nowhere, just look to the stars.
    • RiffTrax
Re: READ ALL ABOUT IT! Rifftrax Player to be Open Source!
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2009, 09:13:20 AM »
I was able to compile it without any problems on OSX... xrampage16's Windows XP machine seems to be a little harder, but I'm sure it'll work out.

Offline Shinigami

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2009, 07:15:07 PM »
Yeah they took the Docs down yesterday, there were 404s all over the place. I was able to git the latest code and compile it on my Mac, so once I've done some digging to figure out exactly how we can approach this, I'll try to get my hands dirty and help out. I'm the junior C++ guy (I'm actually starting to learn it just so I can help on this project - it seems similar enough to PHP, so the learning curve shouldn't be too bad) - so if you have any pointers feel free to share them.

I think I'll create a "Player development" board so that we can all share thoughts and information about this as we move forward.

I'm looking at some the source I managed to download before the version drop. A few things of note.

VLC is coded in C, not C++. A few modules are in C++ including the gui, but otherwise everything else including the core library is in C.

It looks like the VLC module system is designed so that each module only has one parent and possibly multiple children. This might make things difficult for mixing the audio.

VLC already has modules for audio mixing. The real question is whether they will mix streams from two separate decoders. The big thing I'm trying to figure out right now is how the module's are linked and what actually does the linking.

Offline torgosPizza

• Administrator
    • RiffTrax
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2009, 09:14:14 PM »
Oh yeah, true, the VLC site does say C/C++ IIRC...

Thanks for taking the head start, I've been doing some reading up on it but we haven't dug too much into the core. Feel free to post in the VLC board anything you come across that's worth noting.

Offline emerson999

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2009, 09:17:51 AM »
Thank you! The only windows box we have here is a bootcamp partition on a mac, and for whatever reason the official player has never worked there. Other than that, it's just linux and macs all over the place. It'd be so nice to be able to actually autosync without the usual process of needing to rip the dvds and splice in the audio.

Offline xrampage16

• Global Moderator
  • I AM the Burger King!
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2009, 04:39:03 PM »
Anyone setting up their Cygwin environment? I'm having some major issues setting up the libavcodec to run and compile in cygwin.

Generally, it seems to be best to install the linked packages along with ffmpeg, but ffmpeg is even more of a nightmare to install on cygwin than linux (I know since I installed it all from source on the rifftrax server).

Anyone else running into this issue and come up with a solution?

I'm currently building my vanilla build of VLC without livavcodec support, but am figuring that that might bite me down the road.

Let me know.

Thanks,
Cameron

P.S. I am obtaining everyone's gmail accounts so that we can communicate over chat, as well as setup a google document. Please PM me this info if you are interested.

Offline JackTheRIFFER

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Bill honey. please come home to daddy!
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2009, 09:24:25 AM »
Oh yeah!  That is great!  I've been wanting the Rifftrax player for my Mac for a long time, and VLC is what I use for almost everything on both my Mac and PC!   :clap:
I am the Devil, and I am here to do the Devil's work.

Offline ReiCow

• Riffplayer Developer
  • Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2009, 12:51:22 PM »
Moo,

I have it compiled and working in cygwin (vista 64). I have also made an autoinstaller.

What should I work on now?

Cheers,
ReiCow

Offline torgosPizza

• Administrator
    • RiffTrax
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2009, 02:22:12 PM »
RelCow,

I just gave you permissions to chime in at our "VLC" board. (It's at the top of the main board index.) Feel free to read over that. Right now we're discussing the issues we're having with how to combine the multiple audio stream inputs.

Offline ZerothirtySeven

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2009, 03:17:24 PM »
Has There been any Progress On this plug-in? I would really love to try this sucker out, also Hoping it will enable me to use My Blu-ray's as well :-p

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1460
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2009, 02:23:22 PM »
I'm not a developer or anything, but I'd be happy to volunteer as a tester if you need one.  I did a bunch of testing and whatnot in Project Management at my company back before I got laid off in March.

Offline torgosPizza

• Administrator
    • RiffTrax
« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2009, 02:39:55 PM »
Yeah I've been talking to the guys involved in the project just today. Hope to have a progress report soon.

Offline Indomitus

• Big Montana
  • Hang on, gotta answer my iPOG
    • vox.neoleo.net  (a work in progress)
« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2009, 06:15:33 PM »
I'm open to test as well.  I am an old-school programmer, speaking only a now-dead language but well versed in good vs bad programming practice.  I also have 2 systems that might be difficult to find testers for: a Windows 2000 laptop and an Ubuntu (Jaunty) laptop.  Beyond that, I'm rebuilding a Win2k desktop (the HD crashed) and might put together an XP machine to use exclusively with my HDTV.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 06:26:49 PM by Indomitus »

Offline torgosPizza

• Administrator
    • RiffTrax
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2009, 10:43:31 AM »
If anyone wants to help contribute to the development of the open source player, here's a donation page:

https://sourceforge.net/donate/index.php?group_id=291141

Offline bullwinkle

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2010, 02:35:24 PM »
Still no player?

signed,

-a sad linux user

Offline torgosPizza

• Administrator
    • RiffTrax
« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2010, 02:50:56 PM »
Thanks for not helping!

Snarkiness aside, no, there is no player yet. If I could just wave my magic wand to make a player, I would, but we have one person dedicated to it who is volunteering some of his time (and being paid for the rest of it) to get things moving. We'll announce here when something is ready for public testing.