Author Topic: RIP Michael Jackson  (Read 37879 times)

Offline Plastic Self-Cleaning Duck

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2
  • Duck!!!
Re: RIP Michael Jackson
« Reply #75 on: June 26, 2009, 09:16:49 AM »
Fame = crazy.  It's just the way of it.

There's also the theory that you have to be crazy to go through everything it takes to become famous in the first place.

Meanwhile, was listening to Hal Sparks today saying look at Justin Timberlake and Brittany Spears. Both started in the Mickey Mouse Club, became teen idols, they almost mirrored each other's careers....and yet Spears ended up how she did and at the same time Timberlake appears to be very level headed.

Reminds me of a book I read by a social anthropologist about "The Elephant Man", John Merrick (ironically). Comparing how he was such a gentle soul despite the very rough life and then to a man who'd been born into the British aristocracy, rich as hell but afflicted with dwarfism and that second man turned out to be a miserable, nasty SOB to everyone.  Said it all came down to nuturing from day one.  Merrick's mother doted on him. The family of the other man couldn't deal with the fact that he wasn't normal and shunned him.

Then again, Jackson's parents didn't really give him much choice in the matter (Dad was abusive and stole their childhoods from them - Mom stood by and watched).

Offline Trumpysgirl

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #76 on: June 26, 2009, 09:23:16 AM »
Reminds me of a book I read by a social anthropologist about "The Elephant Man", John Merrick (ironically). Comparing how he was such a gentle soul despite the very rough life and then to a man who'd been born into the British aristocracy, rich as hell but afflicted with dwarfism and that second man turned out to be a miserable, nasty SOB to everyone.  Said it all came down to nuturing from day one.  Merrick's mother doted on him. The family of the other man couldn't deal with the fact that he wasn't normal and shunned him.

Man this is giving me throwbacks to my old psychology class and our "Nature vs. Nurture" debates.
Dammit, Maverick! Why don't you play by the rules?!

"Joel, what's a Harringway?"
"About a pound."

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3950
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #77 on: June 26, 2009, 09:28:04 AM »
There are child celebrities that fade out of the limelight and there are people who become famous later on for the rest of their days. Michael Jackson is the first celebrity I can think of who was famous when he was young right up (Albeit for different reasons) until the day he died. Can't imagine what it would be like to live in the spotlight for an entire lifetime.

MontyServo

« Reply #78 on: June 26, 2009, 09:28:30 AM »
For what it's worth, I don't believe any of it.  I don't believe that he was a pedophile.  And I certainly don't believe that he was "raping kids".

My feeling, from day one, has been that it was all a shakedown for cash.  Nothing more and nothing less.

Sure, he showed an insane lack of judgment.   He was stupid enough (maybe naive is a better term here) to let strangers get so close to him that they would be able to throw any sort of claim at him.

But people are gonna believe what they believe.  I know I'm not gonna change any minds here, and none of you will likely change mine.

As far as his music goes, I was never the biggest fan.  I had Thriller and Off The Wall on vinyl, as did a lot of kids my age back then.  Beyond those two albums, I only ever liked a single or two of his.  "Smooth Criminal" was a favorite.  And "You Are Not Alone" too.

I'm sure we will have this story dominate the news for the next few days, until his funeral and the inevitable tribute concert.  Then he will become like Elvis, Lennon, Marilyn, Jimi and many others, and continue making money long after he is gone.  (Which is good for his kids, since I think he left a ton of debt behind.)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 10:38:20 AM by Monty »

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1666
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #79 on: June 26, 2009, 09:44:00 AM »
Face it the guy was raping kids,you just don't want to feel guilty only talking about his music.

No, he could have been skinning and eating people live on TV but that wouldn''t have made his music less awesome,
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline iv3rdawG

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 104
  • Mr. K. Dilkington
    • Controlled Obsession
« Reply #80 on: June 26, 2009, 09:45:39 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/aSqo17o2a1w&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1&amp;" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/aSqo17o2a1w&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1&amp;</a>
Controlled Obsession (My website - Movie, TV, Video Games)

Offline Trumpysgirl

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #81 on: June 26, 2009, 09:49:19 AM »
For what it's worth, I don't believe any of it.  I don't believe that he was a pedophile.  And I certainly don't believe that he was "raping kids".

I believe it, but even if it was true and his intentions were completely innocent, Michael was pretty stupid about it. It's a great thing to help kids, but when you're an adult male, you have to take certain precautions and show the utmost appropriateness at all times. This means NOT having little kids sleep in your bedroom (especially if said bedroom has an alarm installed to warn its occupants of anyone approaching the door).  

"About a pound."

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #82 on: June 26, 2009, 09:52:04 AM »
Face it the guy was raping kids,you just don't want to feel guilty only talking about his music.
No, he could have been skinning and eating people live on TV but that wouldn''t have made his music less awesome,
Thankfully most of the people who were actually responsible for how awesome it was are still with us (though some have died obviously).

Offline Courtney

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 5
  • How Twilight could have been better.
    • Hobo Trashcan - Outside of the In-Crowd
« Reply #83 on: June 26, 2009, 09:55:30 AM »
Fame = crazy.  It's just the way of it.

There's also the theory that you have to be crazy to go through everything it takes to become famous in the first place.

Meanwhile, was listening to Hal Sparks today saying look at Justin Timberlake and Brittany Spears. Both started in the Mickey Mouse Club, became teen idols, they almost mirrored each other's careers....and yet Spears ended up how she did and at the same time Timberlake appears to be very level headed.

Then again, Jackson's parents didn't really give him much choice in the matter (Dad was abusive and stole their childhoods from them - Mom stood by and watched).

Yeah, there are obvious exceptions.  People like Tom Hanks and Meryl Streep have been famous forever and turned out well.  Macauly Culkin somehow seems pretty okay now, but I think that's more a life finally lived out of spotlight.   But I think when you take someone with questionable upbringings (which is rarely not the case with a child star, otherwise their parents wouldn't have pimped them in the first place) and add quick fame, money and an army of yes-men and hangers-on, you get Lindsay Lohan or a Corey or even worse.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
    • Facebook
« Reply #84 on: June 26, 2009, 10:02:41 AM »
believe it, but even if it was true and his intentions were completely innocent, Michael was pretty stupid about it. It's a great thing to help kids, but when you're an adult male, you have to take certain precautions and show the utmost appropriateness at all times. 

He was pretty obviously a mental and astoundingly naive but  there's a long way from that to being a pedophile.

Thankfully most of the people who were actually responsible for how awesome it was are still with us (though some have died obviously)./quote]

yeah, thanks for trolling. aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanyway I'd rather Lindsay Lohan or a Corey than the painful blandness of Hanks.

Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #85 on: June 26, 2009, 10:08:13 AM »
yeah, thanks for trolling.
How is it trolling pray tell?

Michael Jackson was neither a great lyricist (13, or more accurately 12.5 songs out of the 29 comprising the three core albums, none during his Jackson 5 days or early solo career) nor an acompliship musician. Those great albums are the work of people who were (esapeciallty the latter group).

And, unless he's died in the last day, Quincy Jones is still around to provide the same production skills.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 10:23:12 AM by TripeHoundRedux »

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
    • Facebook
« Reply #86 on: June 26, 2009, 10:18:48 AM »
"trolling" just seems more polite than saying you're being a prick for no reason.
Scottotd on Instagram

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #87 on: June 26, 2009, 10:26:09 AM »
"trolling" just seems more polite than saying you're being a prick for no reason.
I'm not, I'm pointing out that a lot of talented people were overshadowed by somebody who, in the final analysis, didn't actually contribute a great deal to the huge success that he achieved.

Michael Jackson was very successful, the music is great. It would be nice to recognize those who truly made it that way.

Or don't you think true merit should be recognised?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 10:33:45 AM by TripeHoundRedux »

Offline Trumpysgirl

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #88 on: June 26, 2009, 10:30:41 AM »

What the hell? Totally uncalled for, why would you say something like that?

"About a pound."

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #89 on: June 26, 2009, 10:31:52 AM »

What the hell? Totally uncalled for, why would you say something like that?

It's ok that's just our ScottH . :)