Author Topic: RIP Michael Jackson  (Read 37869 times)

Online Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3950
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
Re: RIP Michael Jackson
« Reply #60 on: June 25, 2009, 11:37:21 PM »
I remember the time when Michael Jackson was the coolest man walking the face of the earth. Even after all the controversy and speculation, he's always been the force that gave us the Moonwalk and a handful of video games back in the day. I never cared for much of his music, but he did give Weird Al the inspiration for some of his best songs. It always seemed like he was a force. He was the cream of the crop. The very tip-top of stardom. Even after everything that happened and other things that might not have happened came out, it still felt like he was a force like the wind or the rain. It's hard to believe that force is gone.

Rest in Peace, Michael Jackson.

Offline Nekrose

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 0
  • I have the cape. I make the fucking woosh noises.
« Reply #61 on: June 26, 2009, 03:19:57 AM »
He made the only pop music I've ever been able to listen to. It's not like he was going to come out with any new stuff though anyway. I'm not quite sure if I believe it though. He's supposedly a bad invincible motherfucker.

I think it's time to revisit Bo Selecta.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 03:25:10 AM by Nekrose »

Offline LBeria

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1
  • "My laser nose & your crotch have an appointment"
    • Cheap Crap You Don't Need, Enterprises
« Reply #62 on: June 26, 2009, 05:12:18 AM »
In the "Too Soon" cagetory (??) I heard someone yesterday say that he was conscious long enough to ask to be taken to the children's hospital....

And the whole "they die in threes thing" is kinda true in my own experience.  Not that I've died in threes but when I worked as an EMT I could usually count that we'd get three deaths in a row to respond and when I was a newspaper editor I don't think I ever printed an issue with less than three obits.
You're such a survivalist gun nut.
Only the good die young...but most people are morally ambiguous which explains our random dying patterns. -- Tom Servo

Offline darkchashy

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 3
  • beware strangers baring gifs
« Reply #63 on: June 26, 2009, 05:23:15 AM »
I'd like to think that the late night jokes died with the man. As for the whole three's thing, be quiet.
that's just how we ride.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #64 on: June 26, 2009, 05:25:23 AM »
anyone who isn't smiling by the time the vocals kick in on "I want you back" has no heart

Yep that is some great work; by writers Berry Gordy, Freddie Perren, Alphonzo Mizell, and Deke Richards & musicians Freddie Perren (Keyboards),   Joe Sample (Piano), David T. Walker (Guitar), Louis Shelton (Guitar), Don Peake (Guitar), Wilton Felder (Bass) and Gene Pello (Drums).

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
« Reply #65 on: June 26, 2009, 05:33:56 AM »
Well, celebrities usually die in sets of three.

No they don't people just choose to remember that they do.

I'd rather stick to fun statistics rather than accurate ones, thank you.

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
« Reply #66 on: June 26, 2009, 05:36:50 AM »
HOLD ON SWAYZE!

Jackson became very sad to me the last decade or so, he was pretty much reduced to being a lazy and outdated punchline for inane morning DJs.  No matter what you think about the surguries, rumours or anything else, nobody can deny the Jackson 5 and his first 3 solo albums are some amazing pop music (anyone who isn't smiling by the time the vocals kick in on "I want you back" has no heart)

Sure I can.  The dude made decent professional grade museic, but nothing awesome.   I'll take They Might Be Giants and Barenaked Ladies over Michael Jackson any day.

anais.jude

« Reply #67 on: June 26, 2009, 05:43:17 AM »
I remember the time when Michael Jackson was the coolest man walking the face of the earth. Even after all the controversy and speculation, he's always been the force that gave us the Moonwalk and a handful of video games back in the day. I never cared for much of his music, but he did give Weird Al the inspiration for some of his best songs. It always seemed like he was a force. He was the cream of the crop. The very tip-top of stardom. Even after everything that happened and other things that might not have happened came out, it still felt like he was a force like the wind or the rain. It's hard to believe that force is gone.

Rest in Peace, Michael Jackson.

This is how I feel, except I like his early stuff, but yea. He was a force

Doctor Who?

« Reply #68 on: June 26, 2009, 07:16:21 AM »
Sorry but I have trouble feeling sad about this.

I don't think making music people likes gives someone the right to rape kids.

I'm pretty sure if he had been anyone else he would have spent a good portion of the last 20 years in prison.

What does make me sad is that so many people decided his raping kids wasn't a big deal because "He makes great music".

I'm not saying I am glad he is dead I am just saying I am not sad.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1666
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #69 on: June 26, 2009, 07:53:31 AM »

Riiight and if that happening was anything more than speculation and rumor that would be relevant.
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Doctor Who?

« Reply #70 on: June 26, 2009, 08:01:30 AM »
If Jackson had been a middle class guy living in a trailer who dressed in a wife beater he would have gone to prison.

I am not saying that the parents shouldn't get some of the blame for leaving their kids with him or that they didn't try to exploit the situation but there were just too many details and too much stuff found.

Face it the guy was raping kids,you just don't want to feel guilty only talking about his music.

Offline Plastic Self-Cleaning Duck

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #71 on: June 26, 2009, 08:32:50 AM »

Riiight and if that happening was anything more than speculation and rumor that would be relevant.

Riiiight....the court system is perfect. No one guilty ever walks and no one innocent is convicted by mistake (or due to a bad defense).   ::) 

Offline Courtney

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 5
  • How Twilight could have been better.
    • Hobo Trashcan - Outside of the In-Crowd
« Reply #72 on: June 26, 2009, 08:43:29 AM »
I've long had theory that fame is so unnatural that it just messes up the brain.  That's why the most famous people on the planet are all completely batshit.  It doesn't excuse anything that he "allegedly" (probably) did, but like Ebert said, he spent his entire adulthood trying desperately to recreate the childhood that went wrong for him.  Prince needed a camel at 1am in Minnesota (per Kevin Smith's story), Tom Cruise ate Katie's placenta, Britney Spears shaved her head and attacked a car with an umbrella.  Fame = crazy.  It's just the way of it.

Offline Trumpysgirl

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #73 on: June 26, 2009, 08:52:57 AM »
I'm very conflicted on how I feel about this. While I really do love his music, I really can't mourn the loss of a pedophile, which I truly believe that he was. It's just one of those weird twists in life.
Dammit, Maverick! Why don't you play by the rules?!

"Joel, what's a Harringway?"
"About a pound."

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #74 on: June 26, 2009, 08:56:40 AM »
I'm very conflicted on how I feel about this. While I really do love his music

Well if it helps, many more people made that music great and just didn't get the credit they deserved. :)

Ever see Standing in the Shadows of Motown? The Funk Brothers weren't an aberration.  :-\