Author Topic: So Who Is a Dance Dance Revolutionary?  (Read 9728 times)

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!
Re: So Who Is a Dance Dance Revolutionary?
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2007, 11:18:58 PM »
I like DDR.  I haven't played in a while. I need a bigger living room (or a game room).  I had the mat folded up (I know, bad idea) over Christmas and now it doesn't work anymore.  I've had this happen 3 times now and sometimes I can dissect the mat and fix but it looks like I'll be buying yet another DDR mat.

Go for a Red Octane Ignition 2.0. They're super-comfortable, and available on the net for less than you'd think (especially with the later, inferior 3.0 out there).
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2007, 11:20:30 PM »
It does all right. Some songs sync up better than others, but it's probably the only way I'll ever get to DDR to Weird Al's Polka Your Eyes Out. :^)

That is Pure Awesome.
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2007, 11:24:43 PM »
http://www.stepmania.com/

Best DDR emulator, hands down... It works on windows, mac, and linux, and it's way easy to use... the only problem is that it doesn't come with any songs, but if you just bittorrent "stepmania" you'll be fine. I just finished downloading a 5.6gig torrent that has every single official ddr/pump it up/dancing stage version... plus 1000s of other songs... its pretty neat.

AND if you can find an In The Groove machine in the arcade (Roxor just settled with Konami who, as a result, now completely owns ITG, both home and arcade versions), you can apparently import your songs and step patterns from Stepmania into ITG to play. I don't remember which version, and I don't remember if it's USB or a card reader on the ITG machines.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 11:30:35 PM by gbeenie »

- Conan O'Brien

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2007, 11:29:56 PM »
I'm currently playing SuperNova thirty-five minutes (twenty-three songs) every morning in Workout Mode (Course play). Unfortunately, the maximum course length is twenty songs, so I had to split my workout into two courses; since the last song on my first course is Red Line, I don't mind the thirty-second breather so much.  :)

- Conan O'Brien

Offline Hobbit

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2007, 12:18:21 AM »
Is it bad that I've head the 500 combo sound?

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2007, 04:31:07 AM »
Is it bad that I've head the 500 combo sound?

That's the beauty of playing Courses; the combos are cumulative. I got my first 1400 combo yesterday. The best part? At 1200 the Voice starts saying, "Uh, I can't count any more combos, dude."  :)

- Conan O'Brien

Invader_quirk

« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2007, 05:18:58 AM »
Since I only have Nintendo systems, I have DDR: Mario Mix. I have A's (which is the highest in Mario) on all but two songs. The game is overall easier that normal DDR games, so no matter how much I pwn Mario Mix, I can never be as good as those who pwn regular DDR, which kind of irks me. >:(

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2007, 05:56:52 AM »
Since I only have Nintendo systems, I have DDR: Mario Mix. I have A's (which is the highest in Mario) on all but two songs. The game is overall easier that normal DDR games, so no matter how much I pwn Mario Mix, I can never be as good as those who pwn regular DDR, which kind of irks me. >:(

Go grab yourself a PS2. Even our Nintendho (his expression, not ours) roommate got one, just so he could play Final Fantasy XII; but, with his impending move, he'll now be able to continue DDRing. The systems are dirt cheap to get right now.

- Conan O'Brien

Offline shortstack

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 1
  • There's no coffee in Nilbog.It's the devil's drink
    • Nerd is the Word
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2007, 06:34:48 AM »
http://www.stepmania.com/

Best DDR emulator, hands down... It works on windows, mac, and linux, and it's way easy to use... the only problem is that it doesn't come with any songs, but if you just bittorrent "stepmania" you'll be fine. I just finished downloading a 5.6gig torrent that has every single official ddr/pump it up/dancing stage version... plus 1000s of other songs... its pretty neat.

AND if you can find an In The Groove machine in the arcade (Roxor just settled with Konami who, as a result, now completely owns ITG, both home and arcade versions), you can apparently import your songs and step patterns from Stepmania into ITG to play. I don't remember which version, and I don't remember if it's USB or a card reader on the ITG machines.

I like downloading the fan-made songs...there's quite a few out there to be found for pretty much every catchy song ever made.  For instance, I found a stepmania track for Brittney Spears' "Toxic" which was just insanely fun.  :-[
"I have no sense of decency...that way my other senses are enhanced."

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3989
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2007, 08:45:19 AM »
DDR Mario Mix is easy, but I still can't take on Bowser at the hardest level. Incidentally, the Mario Pad is confirmed to work with the upcoming Wii version of DDR, so hold on to that pad. :^)

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2007, 08:47:14 AM »
what type of songs are on the mario one anyways?

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2007, 09:04:37 AM »
what type of songs are on the mario one anyways?
A lot of cool techno remixes of mario music and some classical music. Not quite as expansive as the main DDR series, but the songs are three times as cool. :^)

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2007, 09:17:10 AM »
heh leave it to nintendo to do something better than its rivals.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2007, 09:23:28 AM »
Also: DDR on Wii- Dance with a Wiimote in hand. Think about it. :^)

Offline BBQ Platypus

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 59
  • SURF'S UP, SPACE PONIES!
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2007, 09:25:19 AM »
I support a Dance Dance Revolution, but only if it is bloodless and democratic.  Sadly, this rarely happens, and it rarely changes the nation's dance skills very much at all - the country's new leaders end up being just as bad at dancing as the ones they helped to overthrow.  I happen to have a great deal of personal experience in the matter.  I once tried to start a Dance Dance Revolution in Turkmenistan and it did not end well.  Thousands of displaced citizens were killed when the government handed out blankets infected with disco fever.

Have you no souls?  People are DYING!

I can still see the looks on the faces of those poor children...as they laid down the boogie, and played that funky music...'til they DIED!

(runs to psychiatrist, sobbing)
Correction: the coat hanger should be upside down.