login

Author Topic: What is that one with that guy...the "Name That Game" thread  (Read 2200 times)

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 212
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
Don't know if there's one out there somewhere already, but I figured I would start this just in case, because I have a real doozy of one.  Basically, this is set aside for anyone who has ever run into a video game that they remembered playing, but the name escapes them.

There's one that's making me go bananas, and has been for awhile.  I remember going to the nearby bowling alley in the late 80s (around '86 or '87) and playing a bunch of different arcade games.  Two of them I remember clearly: "Kicker" (aka Shaolin's Road, a game where you run around and...well, kick guys, and after you clear a stage the main character says, "Guts!" for some unexplained reason), and "Robocop" (need I say more about that one?).  However, there is a third one I remembered watching somebody play, and for the life of me I can't remember what it could be.

See, I thought the game was "Elevator Action."  But, I recently saw "Elevator Action," and how it debuted in 1983.  Now, I could swear the game I saw had far superior graphics and sound, but it couldn't be "Elevator Action: The Return," because I think that only came out in Japan, and the game was released in 1992 (the game I know is definitely not that recent, thanks in part that I didn't live in the same state as that bowling alley in 1992).  What I'm wondering if I'm simply misremembering the quality of the game I saw way back then, or if there is a knock-off game similar to this one.  If I am recalling correctly as well, I don't think this game scrolled like Elevator Action does; I think it was simply a static screen with multiple levels, where doors opened and shut.  It was definitely not a top-down, but a side-scroller.  Like I said, I might be mistaken, but I don't think I am.

Like the Captain with his privates tied to the ship's steering wheel, it's driving me nuts.  If this sounds familiar, let me know.
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Offline Steve-O

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 56
    • The Incomparable
Re: What is that one with that guy...the "Name That Game" thread
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 10:38:36 PM »
That's not much to go on.  Side-scroller.  Multiple levels.  Doors that open and shut.  Hmmm...

Rolling Thunder?

Do you remember anything else about it?  Any of the character designs?  Could you go into and out of the doors, or was it just the enemies that used them?

Offline SJP

• Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 10:48:32 PM »
No, not Rolling Thunder...I'm familiar with that one...

It's all a bit hazy in the recollections department, but when I mean side-scroller I should technically say side-view; if I'm remembering it correctly, each level was encased entirely onscreen, with multiple floors to go up and down from.  Other than that, all I can remember is that it was hard as crap (or, at least, hard as crap to a five-year-old).  I could be wrong and I was actually playing Elevator Action, but considering how easily I remembered the others (and how accurately, considering I only re-found Kicker a year or three ago), it seems weird that I don't remember that game better.

Offline Steve-O

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 56
    • The Incomparable
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 11:15:00 PM »
Errrr....

Intrepid?
Mappy?
Roc'n Rope?
Mikie?

If not, I'm out of ideas.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3885
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 11:46:05 PM »
It could actually be Elevator Action Returns. It was released in the States as Elevator Action II.

http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?game_id=7701

Other than that, I'm stumped.

While we're at it, there was an old arcade game I used to love where you were a mouse, and your goal was to go through these platforming areas and pick up all the shiny objects while avoiding a bully rat and cats and stuff. The first level was inside a tree, if I recall correctly. For years, I was convinced it was called Pack Rat, but the internet denies that any arcade game ever had that title...
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 11:47:51 PM by Pak-Man »

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2511
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 11:54:49 PM »
I know for a fact that an arcade game named Pack Rat existed, the Showbiz Pizza in my old hometown had it.  Sounds like what you're describing too.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3885
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 12:11:23 AM »
I also played it at Showbiz Pizza. I wonder why the internet has forsaken it...

Edit: Ah HA! Because it wasn't Pack-Rat. It was Peter Pack Rat. THAT'S why I could never find it on Wikipedia's list of arcade games...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/SaPK8lB8GfE&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/SaPK8lB8GfE&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1</a>
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 12:14:38 AM by Pak-Man »

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2511
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 12:39:58 AM »
Oh ho, that makes sense.  I do remember that Showbiz used to customize the arcade cabinets to make them all uniform looking next to eachother, so they probably shortened the title on it.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2009, 07:00:23 AM »
Now, there's one on the atari where a teddy bear must collect a lot of crystals to... something.   And there are evil trees and stick men.  I think.

Offline SJP

• Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2009, 10:14:34 AM »
Pretty sure that's "Crystal Castles."  It's sort of like a 3-D-ish Pac-Man, and the screen redraws from the ground up on every screen?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2N1Kt6cKUI&feature=related(I would embed it, but I have tried countless times to embed Youtube videos and the damn thing never works right...all I ever get is a bunch of worthless code in the middle of my post.  Don't know what I'm doing wrong).

As for Elevator Action, I just realized I might have confused it with another elevator themed game that I remember seeing, not for the arcade, but for the Commodore 64 called "Going Up?"  It was  a game you could type in from a magazine we used to get called "Compute!'s Gazette," and the game had a static scene and you had to climb to the top without being hit by falling elevators.  It came out with a 1987 issue, which would've been around the same time I would've played the actual arcade game; I just somehow combined the two in my head.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 04:31:14 PM by SJP »

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2009, 06:18:23 PM »
Pretty sure that's "Crystal Castles."  It's sort of like a 3-D-ish Pac-Man, and the screen redraws from the ground up on every screen?

Thanks.  I was thinking it was Crystal Palace, but that's a small amusement park the next town over.