login

Author Topic: What's the last Television show you watched on DVD/VHS/youtube/Netflix?  (Read 287094 times)

Offline CJones

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 519
  • 5000 deaths and counting
Re: What's the last Television show you watched on DVD/VHS/youtube/Netflix?
« Reply #2670 on: September 06, 2018, 05:11:50 PM »
I binge watched all of Disenchantment last night, the new Matt Groening show on Netflix. Most of the reviews I had read tended to range from bad to mediocre, but I actually really liked it. The trailers don't do it justice. One major advantage it has over The Simpsons and Futurama is that it has an actual plot. Now it's going to drive me nuts waiting for season 2.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4513
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #2671 on: September 06, 2018, 05:16:06 PM »
I just finished season one of Lemony Snicket's a Series of Unfortunate Events. I wish I liked the show more. It's not bad, but it also feels like it's lacking something that makes it more than just OK. I like the tone that it is going for, being a tongue and cheek black comedy for kids that teaches new vocab in between murders and is basically a celebration of intelligence, as well as a parody of kids detective and Dickensian/Gothic melodrama. But most of the jokes don't land well enough for me, and while the show is definitely swinging for the fences in terms of trying to be stylish (specifically in a Tim Burton sort of way) it's largely not as impressive as I'd like it to be. That said, it keeps being just good and interesting enough to keep me watching.

I tried to watch this, but I just couldn't get into it. I think my main problem is that I just couldn't see Neil Patrick Harris as Count Olaf. I just saw NPH. For whatever faults the movie version had, Jim Carrey was great as Olaf.

I'm almost caught up and I'd say his performance and the show as a whole is a mixed bag.  Sometimes it feels like it's a younger man in old age make up and sometimes he's really good at bringing genuine menace in addition to his goofiness.  But NPH gets a couple musical numbers per season and they are usually pretty fun.  Although the best one is the first season finale ensemble song.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/bydpc9AuWLE" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/bydpc9AuWLE</a>

But yeah, I still wouldn't go out of my way to recommend it.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2361
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2672 on: September 09, 2018, 04:30:19 PM »
Watched episode 1 of Paradise PD, meh...

If you really love Family Guy style humor it might appeal to you, I was kind of bored by it.

Online The Lurker

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 3978
« Reply #2673 on: September 09, 2018, 04:41:53 PM »
Is it better or worse than Brickleberry?

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2674 on: September 09, 2018, 04:58:32 PM »
Is it better or worse than Brickleberry?

I never watched Brickleberry so can't say.  But reviews I just read say it is the same but with TV-MA rated jokes.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2675 on: September 12, 2018, 10:45:12 AM »
Watched the first episode of Hold The Sunset on Britbox. 

It's not great, but I don't think it deserves the terrible reviews it has gotten.  It's amusing but not hilarious, so I guess there were people expecting the John Cleese from 40 years ago to show up and were disappointed?

There are only 6 episodes so I'll probably watch all of them unless it goes way downhill from here.

Offline Russoguru

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 266
  • "He's never fought me twice!"
« Reply #2676 on: September 12, 2018, 08:57:16 PM »
Mad TV season 2. I haven't been laughing at ALL the sketches(I just don't find a lot of comedy all that funny anymore no matter how well it's written... sigh), but anyways I've been watching season two of Mad TV and I reached a sketch that had me laughing my ass off. To be honest, my sense of humor is really bizarre these days.

Offline stansimpson

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 244
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #2677 on: September 13, 2018, 06:51:22 AM »
Mad TV season 2. I haven't been laughing at ALL the sketches(I just don't find a lot of comedy all that funny anymore no matter how well it's written... sigh), but anyways I've been watching season two of Mad TV and I reached a sketch that had me laughing my ass off. To be honest, my sense of humor is really bizarre these days.
What's the skit about? Is it on YouTube?

Offline Russoguru

« Reply #2678 on: September 13, 2018, 10:41:55 AM »
To address your first question, it's this sketch that takes place in a pizza place called nice-a slice-a or something like that. Anyway the manager(Phil Lamarr) is being very patient with his employee(Nicole Sullivan) when he's assigned her the very simple task of making a sign that says "Buy one pizza get one free". Anyway, the employee for whatever reason can't seem to get it right and the signs she keeps making progressively get to be more and more ridiculous as some of them have nothing to do with what the manager wanted her to write.

To address your second question, I'm really not sure, I actually had this season on DVD about 4 years ago or so and completely forgot all about the sketch up until last night.

Offline WhyDontTheyLook

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 74
  • Tell me.
    • GaryWOlson.com
« Reply #2679 on: September 13, 2018, 10:46:55 AM »
Finished watching Castle Rock s1 on Hulu last night.  Liked the series a lot, though it was more low-key than I expected going in.  A lot of good, complex performances, esp. from Sissy Spacek and Bill Skarsgard.
"You never know, in a tight jam a nuclear missile just might come in handy."

Offline WhyDontTheyLook

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 74
  • Tell me.
    • GaryWOlson.com
« Reply #2680 on: September 17, 2018, 07:43:24 AM »
Started on Netflix's The Chalet, made it through episode 2 (of 6) before calling it quits.  Was expecting murderous hijinks, got boring french soap opera antics (for the most part) instead.  Was too bored with the characters to bother waiting around to see if I could at least enjoy their deaths any.
"You never know, in a tight jam a nuclear missile just might come in handy."

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4513
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #2681 on: September 17, 2018, 12:00:17 PM »
Started the new season of Bojack Horseman.  The show is still good.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5362
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #2682 on: September 17, 2018, 12:26:01 PM »
I tried giving Disenchantment a second chance and only got 3 episodes in before I got too bored.

Offline stansimpson

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 244
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #2683 on: September 18, 2018, 08:26:44 AM »
To address your first question, it's this sketch that takes place in a pizza place called nice-a slice-a or something like that. Anyway the manager(Phil Lamarr) is being very patient with his employee(Nicole Sullivan) when he's assigned her the very simple task of making a sign that says "Buy one pizza get one free". Anyway, the employee for whatever reason can't seem to get it right and the signs she keeps making progressively get to be more and more ridiculous as some of them have nothing to do with what the manager wanted her to write.

To address your second question, I'm really not sure, I actually had this season on DVD about 4 years ago or so and completely forgot all about the sketch up until last night.
Found the skit on YouTube:
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/2SC7sHy2iFY" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/2SC7sHy2iFY</a>

I liked that. Nicole Sullivan did a great job with her character. Thanks for mentioning it here. My favorite part was
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 08:29:33 AM by stansimpson »

Offline Russoguru

« Reply #2684 on: September 18, 2018, 01:55:38 PM »
And I love Phil Lamarr because he used to be Green Lantern.  ;)

Anyways I've been binge-watching more of World's Dumbest and one thing occurred to me after seeing this... "trope" for lack of better word of people being completely incapable of singing the national anthem. It seems to happen constantly for one of three different reasons. 1) They forgot the lyrics, 2) They lack the necessary vocal range, or 3) a combination of the first two. In any case, it's downright painful to listen to somebody with no range trying to belt out the National Anthem. I mean, even if you're a PROFESSIONAL, you still need to practice hitting the right notes and remembering the damn words! Otherwise you've got no business being on the damn stage!!!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 01:57:14 PM by Russoguru »