Author Topic: What's the last Television show you watched on DVD/VHS/youtube/Netflix?  (Read 281601 times)

Online wihogfan

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 131
Re: What's the last Television show you watched on DVD/VHS/youtube/Netflix?
« Reply #2625 on: July 31, 2018, 06:00:22 PM »
Trailer Park Boys continues again
Enjoyed Season 9 a lot and the first half of Season 10, but the D-list celebrity extended cameos from the 2nd half of Season 10 nearly made me give up. Season 11 got back on track.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Online Russoguru

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 244
  • "He's never fought me twice!"
« Reply #2626 on: July 31, 2018, 08:37:42 PM »
Watched another old episode of the Twilight Zone. The name of the episode completely escapes me but it was funny...on a level that's very difficult for me to describe. It starts out with this TV repairman over at this couple's home to repair their TV. The TV eventually starts showing the husband future events. It's established early on that this husband and wife do not get along, like at all. Anyway things escalate and the husband tries his best to... de-escalate things. Near the end he sees on the TV him getting in a rather brutal altercation with his wife where she ends up crashing through a window and falling to her death. Now... the husband has SEEN this! He knows that from the history of all the other future events he's seen on the TV that they will come to pass. He tries and tries to de-escalate but he just can't hold his temper! Guess what happens! Yup! Wife goes out the window and the husband goes to jail. Why am I laughing? I honestly don't know why. I honestly wouldn't describe myself as the type with a sick sense of humor but I guess there's a good moral to this episode but I can't think of what it is... oh yeah!!!!
SEEK HELP, NOW!

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5313
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #2627 on: August 01, 2018, 05:40:12 AM »
Watched another old episode of the Twilight Zone. The name of the episode completely escapes me but it was funny...on a level that's very difficult for me to describe. It starts out with this TV repairman over at this couple's home to repair their TV. The TV eventually starts showing the husband future events. It's established early on that this husband and wife do not get along, like at all. Anyway things escalate and the husband tries his best to... de-escalate things. Near the end he sees on the TV him getting in a rather brutal altercation with his wife where she ends up crashing through a window and falling to her death. Now... the husband has SEEN this! He knows that from the history of all the other future events he's seen on the TV that they will come to pass. He tries and tries to de-escalate but he just can't hold his temper! Guess what happens! Yup! Wife goes out the window and the husband goes to jail. Why am I laughing? I honestly don't know why. I honestly wouldn't describe myself as the type with a sick sense of humor but I guess there's a good moral to this episode but I can't think of what it is... oh yeah!!!!
SEEK HELP, NOW!
I remember that episode. I don't remember the tile, though. I was surprised at how unlikable the characters were and how bleak it seemed.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2715
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #2628 on: August 01, 2018, 10:41:12 AM »
Never seen that one, but it sounds awful close to the one with the unhappy couple who get a camera that can see the future. Right down to someone going out the window, IIRC.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2366
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #2629 on: August 01, 2018, 05:24:00 PM »
Never seen that one, but it sounds awful close to the one with the unhappy couple who get a camera that can see the future. Right down to someone going out the window, IIRC.

Yeah, it reminded me of that one too.

The one Russ is talking about is called What's on the Box: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What%27s_in_the_Box

FINE

Online Russoguru

« Reply #2630 on: August 11, 2018, 10:45:29 AM »
A few days ago I went to Walmart and got a REALLY good deal on Dexter... not just one season but all eight(For just 40 bucks). I realize this is going to make me sound like kind of a pussy, but I don't like the case the whole set came in. Basically it was a huge plastic box with spindles overlapping each other, making it difficult to get at one disc or another without having to take several other discs out. I was trying to think of a way to solve my problem and I just decided to take out all the discs and put them in this old, half-empty CD/DVD holder I have. Anyway the discs are safe, they probably won't get scratched(not with how much I'm ocd about keeping my discs from getting scratched) and for me it's an arrangement that works pretty well. I've also had to do something similar a while back when I got the entire series of Married with Children. Believe me, eleven seasons is a lot of discs!

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2336
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2631 on: August 11, 2018, 02:09:32 PM »
I've been making my way through the first season of the original Lost In Space on Hulu.  Just passed War Of The Robots.

Most stations that ran LIS in the 70s when I watched it didn't show the first season episodes, I guess because they were in black and white and so very different than seasons 2 and 3.

Tons of filler, I'm guessing if you were to add up all the time spent wandering around yelling out for someone that has gone missing it could fill an entire episode.

Even with all the filler and slow pacing it is better drama and science fiction than the slapstick comedy that was to come in seasons 2 and 3.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #2632 on: August 11, 2018, 03:52:10 PM »
I started watching Alan Tudyk's show Con Man, about a B list celebrity going to conventions. It is a lot of fun. Mindy Sterling in particular is a standout as his agent.

Online wihogfan

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 131
« Reply #2633 on: August 12, 2018, 06:49:52 PM »
After watching all 12 seasons of the Trailer Park Boys (which I enjoyed immensely), the 2 specials (the Xmas special was great), all 4 movies (all except for the first, which was the movie that the TV series was based on, were like OK but not great extended episodes of the show), the live specials (OK, but not essential), and the 2 seasons of Out of the Park (kind of hit and miss, but enjoyed them for what they were and due to low expectations and after watching the live shows), I decided to watch The Drunk and on Drugs Happy Funtime Hour.
The Drunk and on Drugs Happy Funtime Hour was a Canadian show that aired for 1 season in 2011 that was written by and starred the actors who played Julian, Ricky and Bubbles from the Trailer Park Boys. Several other Trailer Park actors were also involved. The un-aired pilot was bizarre-not really funny-but led me to wanting to see where they took it. The 6 episodes that aired were repetitive, not funny, and pretty much a waste of 2 hours. Everyone plays multiple characters- most in bad old people make up that makes everyone kind of look the same. Basically a bunch of scenes of unfunny characters (calling what happens "a series of skits" would be giving it too much credit) with a running plot to connect them, but the plot goes no where . The actors playing Rick, Julian, and Bubbles buying the rights to the Trailer Park Boys and continuing/expanding the series was a great decision by them if this show was an example of where they would have gone instead. 

Offline stethacantus

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 43
« Reply #2634 on: August 12, 2018, 09:15:34 PM »
Adventures of Superman
Seasons 5 and 6

Well, that's it. I have watched every episode of the series. They say the quality of the series progressively got worse with each season. While the series never really got bad, it did gradually get ridiculous. In the sixth season the writers began giving Superman powers he never had in the comic books. He could will himself into dividing into two separate persons, so that Superman could be in one part of the city while another Superman ( or Clark Kent, ) could be in another. And both Supermen could recombine back into a single person. An episode later Superman learned how to control his molecules so he could phase through walls. He was able to reverse the blast of a nuclear bomb, and absorb radiation from contaminated people. And by bending a bar into a U shape, he was able to turn it into a crook catching magnet.

What the series really could have used was the super villains from the comics. Bizarro and Brainiac had been introduced in the comics prior to the filming of the sixth season. The Prankster, Toyman and Mr Mxyzptlk had existed for years. And, of course, Superman's greatest villain, Lex Luthor, who had been around since 1940. None of them ever appeared in the series. Nor did the series ever create it's own supervillain. The producer was content with Superman fighting common gangsters.  At least it had Martian Manhunter. Almost. A dwarf actor played Mr. Zero, a Martian with the power to stun people by pointing at them. Mr Zero and The Mole Men were the only time the series used fantasy characters, not counting Superman himself.

There were a lot of dumb plots. Jimmy Olsen accidentally invents an antigravity formula while playing with his chemistry set. A mind reading mule helps rob a bank.  But while the series had jumped the shark a couple of seasons back, one of the best episodes of the entire series was the second to last episode. A man shows up at The Daily Planet wearing a lead mask and announces that in a few days he plans to kidnap and  kill Perry, Jimmy, Lois and Clark because they were once responsible for sending him to prison. And just in case  Superman thinks he can stop him, the lead mask will block his X-ray vision, keeping Superman from identifying him. And to make things more complicated, there are several men in identical lead masks wandering around the city. Eventually everyone does get kidnapped, and each ends up in a different movie serial style trap.

The producers intended for the series to continue for at least two more seasons. Production was put on hold when actor John Hamilton who played Perry White died of a heart attack. The decision was to kill Perry White off in the series and bring in a new actor to play his brother. But then George Reeves died of a self inflicted gunshot wound. Since replacing Superman was unthinkable, the producers came up with a new premise for a 7th season. The series would be retitled Superman's Pal, Jimmy Olsen. Clark and Superman would still be in the series, via stock footage of Reeves and stunt doubles, but most of each episode would follow Olsen. Actor Jack Larson refused to do it, and the series came to an end.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2366
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #2635 on: August 12, 2018, 09:42:32 PM »
Super Man could split into two when exposed to black kryptonite in the comics. I guess it was a version of that? It also might have been a reference to this: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0506561/

FINE

Offline stethacantus

• Big Montana
« Reply #2636 on: August 13, 2018, 11:27:39 AM »
Super Man could split into two when exposed to black kryptonite in the comics. I guess it was a version of that? It also might have been a reference to this: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0506561/

No. This series only had regular Kryptonite. Superman was able to split into two persons by willing himself to do so. But it meant that both Supermen were only half as powerful.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #2637 on: August 13, 2018, 11:52:52 AM »
Adventures of Superman
Seasons 5 and 6

Well, that's it. I have watched every episode of the series. They say the quality of the series progressively got worse with each season. While the series never really got bad, it did gradually get ridiculous. In the sixth season the writers began giving Superman powers he never had in the comic books. He could will himself into dividing into two separate persons, so that Superman could be in one part of the city while another Superman ( or Clark Kent, ) could be in another. And both Supermen could recombine back into a single person. An episode later Superman learned how to control his molecules so he could phase through walls. He was able to reverse the blast of a nuclear bomb, and absorb radiation from contaminated people. And by bending a bar into a U shape, he was able to turn it into a crook catching magnet.

What the series really could have used was the super villains from the comics. Bizarro and Brainiac had been introduced in the comics prior to the filming of the sixth season. The Prankster, Toyman and Mr Mxyzptlk had existed for years. And, of course, Superman's greatest villain, Lex Luthor, who had been around since 1940. None of them ever appeared in the series. Nor did the series ever create it's own supervillain. The producer was content with Superman fighting common gangsters.  At least it had Martian Manhunter. Almost. A dwarf actor played Mr. Zero, a Martian with the power to stun people by pointing at them. Mr Zero and The Mole Men were the only time the series used fantasy characters, not counting Superman himself.

I find it funny that the extra powers they added to Superman all involve special effects (however rudimentary). Yet they didn't use super villains from the comics, which would have needed special effects, but would have made it a lot more interesting. It's like they were actively trying to make it as boring as possible.
Plus, why are they adding more powers to a character that is already often complained about being too powerful?

Online Russoguru

« Reply #2638 on: August 13, 2018, 01:55:23 PM »
I just got the whole series of Mork and Mindy for cheap at Wal-mart. Now I know I've seen Mork and Mindy on places like Nick at Nite before, but I totally forgot some of the story(outside of some strangely specific details). Since it's been so long, I decided to start with season 4(The season where at the beginning Mork and Mindy finally get married). For their Honeymoon they go to Mork's planet and one of those aforementioned details was stuck in my memory forever, and that's when Mindy thought a Penguin was talking to her at the hotel. Mork has to tell her "Min, what are you doing? That's a Penguin, they don't talk", or words to that effect.

I always got a kick out of this show when I was a kid and I got to admit... it's still held up fairly well, even in a season that's considered by some fans to be the worst.

Offline stethacantus

• Big Montana
« Reply #2639 on: August 13, 2018, 02:50:33 PM »

I find it funny that the extra powers they added to Superman all involve special effects (however rudimentary). Yet they didn't use super villains from the comics, which would have needed special effects, but would have made it a lot more interesting. It's like they were actively trying to make it as boring as possible.

Special effects were not the problem. I am sure they would need to pay DC for each new character they used. So if they used Lex Luthor they would need to pay DC extra. It was cheaper for the television producer to use villains his writers created.

Plus, why are they adding more powers to a character that is already often complained about being too powerful?

That's what happened to the comic book. Initially all Superman had was super strength, speed and the ability to jump really high. But then they added new powers every time sales went down. What is interesting here is how similar Superman's new powers were to that of Barry Allen who had just debuted in DC comics as the new Flash. Barry Allen could phase through walls ( by vibrating his molecules ) and could split into two persons ( an optical illusion as Barry ran back and fourth between two locations ).