Author Topic: What's the last Television show you watched on DVD/VHS/youtube/Netflix?  (Read 287336 times)

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 1300
Re: What's the last Television show you watched on DVD/VHS/youtube/Netflix?
« Reply #2595 on: July 13, 2018, 03:58:16 AM »
Started watching GLOW tonight, great show, laughed way more than I was expecting to.

It’s great!  The second season gets even better, in my opinion. It’s done really well. The ladies also do all of their own stunts, which I find impressive. Great storytelling.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2375
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #2596 on: July 13, 2018, 11:17:17 AM »
It's been killing me that I haven't been able to start watching GLOW season 2 yet. We are saving some money by trading off the streaming services we're subscribing to. We are just about to cancel our Amazon Prime and switch back to Netflix, so we're going to binge the hell out of it.

Loved the first season, and I've been getting excited for the new one since the cast keeps popping up on wrestling podcasts I listen to.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 341
« Reply #2597 on: July 13, 2018, 06:46:07 PM »
Ohhhhh the latest Battle Bots probably has the nastiest/goriest/glorious Bot death yet, hahaha. RIP.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4515
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #2598 on: July 14, 2018, 06:54:31 AM »
More than half-way through season 2 of Luke Cage.  It has some flaws but it is definitely one of the stronger Marvel Netflix seasons I've seen in a while and though it does try to slow things down a little too much at times (a common issue with the Marvel shows) and sometimes ends an episode with a "oh, now things are really going to kick off" before easing on the brakes again, it constantly gooses itself with great acting, interesting character turns and some fun action.  I really enjoyed the fight between Luke and Bushmaster on the bridge (despite an eye-rollingly cliche "Join me" line).  More of that please.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2362
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2599 on: July 14, 2018, 08:09:11 AM »
Finished season 2 of GLOW.

Watching both seasons in less than a week there is a noticeable change in tone between seasons.  The balance between comedy and drama shifts to the drama side.  The increase in intensity does make the comic relief feel stronger.

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #2600 on: July 15, 2018, 05:54:37 AM »
Midway through season three of Last Man on Earth.  Continues to be great and though it's gotten away from cringe humour (and shifting Tandy away from a sociopath to an obnoxious but well-meaning idiot), it still isn't afraid to get very bleak (though often strangely beautiful).  My one complaint is that the tone of one character's mental breakdown is... not consistent.  A lot of the time it seems like they are going for "wacky crazy person" and when it shifts into the more grounded side of people dealing with a loved one suffering through mental illness... well, it does succeed, but tonally, I don't think it entirely works.  Curious to see where it goes, though.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2601 on: July 16, 2018, 04:20:52 PM »
Started watching Saphire and Steel on Amazon Prime.

It plods along, but even Dr. Who back then plodded along stretching out a story into 6 episodes when half as many would do.

Still interesting stuff to watch, although I'm starting to get the feeling they are never going to explain who Saphire and Steel really are...

First time seeing Joanna Lumley when she was younger and playing a serious role.

Offline wihogfan

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 156
« Reply #2602 on: July 16, 2018, 04:50:54 PM »
Watched all 4 parts of that Evil Genius documentary on Netflix about the pizza delivery driver in Erie, PA who robbed a bank with a bomb around his neck and died when it went off. I remembered the basic story from America's Most Wanted (a show that was a whole lot better than Walsh's follow up show which is unwatchable due to taking the same type of crimes that were featured on America's Most Wanted but stretching them out to what seems like 4 hours each- but I digress).
Interesting documentary that I won't spoil for anyone who wants to watch it and thought the length was about right.   

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #2603 on: July 16, 2018, 05:24:59 PM »

It plods along, but even Dr. Who back then plodded along stretching out a story into 6 episodes when half as many would do.

Still interesting stuff to watch, although I'm starting to get the feeling they are never going to explain who Saphire and Steel really are...

First time seeing Joanna Lumley when she was younger and playing a serious role.

In my opinion, Sapphire and Steel gets better by leaps and bounds up until the end.  And yes, our heroes remain a mystery.  Personally, I prefer it that way, because the creator later explained what there deal was and it's... kind of generic.  They are much more interesting as enigmas.  The second story goes on a little long but it has more of a purpose than the first and though the series is comparable to Doctor Who, that story shows the series to be something of a darker animal where the characters "win" for a lack of a better term, but it still leaves one ill at ease.  They have been talking about re-doing it and I'd love to see it.  Really, having watched it all, it's a series of ghost stories and like a lot of good ghost stories, it's a series that's really about the horrors and sins of the past.

Warning: it ends on a cliffhanger.  A really good one, too.

Offline wihogfan

• Big Montana
« Reply #2604 on: July 16, 2018, 07:54:04 PM »
Finished season 2 of GLOW.

Watching both seasons in less than a week there is a noticeable change in tone between seasons.  The balance between comedy and drama shifts to the drama side.  The increase in intensity does make the comic relief feel stronger.

When does it start to get good/funny.
I gave the first episode about 15 minutes and gave up as I found it beyond boring. I realize I didn't give it much of a chance, but after all the positive reviews I was expecting something that would come out of the gate swinging and it just didn't.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2605 on: July 17, 2018, 11:11:14 AM »

In my opinion, Sapphire and Steel gets better by leaps and bounds up until the end.  And yes, our heroes remain a mystery.  Personally, I prefer it that way, because the creator later explained what there deal was and it's... kind of generic.  They are much more interesting as enigmas.  The second story goes on a little long but it has more of a purpose than the first and though the series is comparable to Doctor Who, that story shows the series to be something of a darker animal where the characters "win" for a lack of a better term, but it still leaves one ill at ease.  They have been talking about re-doing it and I'd love to see it.  Really, having watched it all, it's a series of ghost stories and like a lot of good ghost stories, it's a series that's really about the horrors and sins of the past.

Wow, assignment 2 was bleak, and with a sad ending.

I've looked online but I guess the question of how that ending was a "win" has never been answered.   Sure the "ghosts" are gone but The Darkness wasn't defeated, so how is that a win?

The cheap effects were done extremely well, the jumping between costumes was seamless.

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #2606 on: July 17, 2018, 02:21:37 PM »

I've looked online but I guess the question of how that ending was a "win" has never been answered.   Sure the "ghosts" are gone but The Darkness wasn't defeated, so how is that a win?

The world hasn't ended... yet.  That's sort of a recurring theme.  They stop immediate threats but often at awful costs and with no promise that certain threats won't be back, just as dangerous as before, if not more.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2607 on: July 17, 2018, 02:28:29 PM »

The world hasn't ended... yet.  That's sort of a recurring theme.  They stop immediate threats but often at awful costs and with no promise that certain threats won't be back, just as dangerous as before, if not more.

OK, so the show is them playing whack a mole, good to know going forward.

Offline wihogfan

• Big Montana
« Reply #2608 on: July 17, 2018, 08:56:26 PM »
Drug Lords- Netflix documentary series about, well, drug lords.
Pablo Escabar and Cali Cartel episodes somewhat interesting due to having interviews with some of the law enforcement and underlings involved (but not nearly as interesting as the Narcos series). El Chapo episode seemed somewhat less interesting than I was expecting. Not really sure that the rest of the criminals featured in the series really qualified as Drug Lords.

Offline Russoguru

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 269
  • "He's never fought me twice!"
« Reply #2609 on: July 19, 2018, 12:29:50 PM »
Just watched the classic Twilight Zone episode "The Monsters are due on Maple Street". I've said this before, but It's just incredible how well this show has aged. Regardless of how the special effects hold up, the stories are still meaningful today because they all pack a very powerful dramatic wallop. Doesn't matter if it's 1959 or 2018... and that's just amazing.