Author Topic: What's the last Television show you watched on DVD/VHS/youtube/Netflix?  (Read 269087 times)

Offline NRRork

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 76
    • Yep, I have a deviantART gallery. But it's pretty cheerful drawings-- no angsty poems or black-and-white photos of wooden chairs.
Re: What's the last Television show you watched on DVD/VHS/youtube/Netflix?
« Reply #2475 on: March 13, 2018, 01:49:17 AM »
Ricky Gervais: Humanity

I'm not sure whether a comedy special counts as TV or a movie. To muddy the waters, at times they've been produced for television and other times for theatrical release. These days I'd say TV is closer.

Point is it was effing brilliant. In addition to being funny as hell: Every. Single. Segment he does originates from what some over-sensitive narcissist on social media said in response to something he said or did. If you hate that so-called outrage culture, you'll love this special and find it VERY cathartic.
I used to have an image here, but Photobucket got cheap about remote linking. I guess I'll have to think of something witty instead. Which I will. Later. It caught me by surprise, in all honesty. It's hard to be clever on command, I mean, YOU try it. Be funny: NOW! See, tough. So, gimme a bit, 'kay?

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2267
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2476 on: March 13, 2018, 05:16:21 PM »
Ricky Gervais: Humanity

Just watched this also, fantastic stuff.

I loved the bit about the person complaining about the language of his dog torture tweet.  First time I heard of that practice was last year, it's one of those things I wish I didn't know still goes on in the world, torturing a dog to death because they think it makes the meat taste better.  As bad as that sounds don't use a bad word to describe the people doing it, that's the real problem.

John Oliver did a better bit on "what aboutism" a while back so I was flashing back to that when it came up in this special.

Offline wihogfan

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 86
« Reply #2477 on: March 13, 2018, 05:35:55 PM »
Corporate
Have worked for several large corporations and am somewhat disappointed. It's humorous, but would have preferred a more Mike Judge take where the humor is, while exagerated, grounded in more realism a la Office Space or even Sillicon Valley.

Offline wihogfan

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 86
« Reply #2478 on: March 13, 2018, 07:11:33 PM »
Have time and loved it the first time around and never watched it again after first viewings but have them all saved, so going back and watching all the Silicon Valley episodes a second time before the new season.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2266
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #2479 on: March 14, 2018, 08:12:47 PM »
This great article sums up exactly why I find Gervais tedious these days.

http://www.vulture.com/2018/03/ricky-gervais-humanity-netflix-review.html

Nobody is denying a platform for Gervais, Chappelle, Chris Rock, or even Louis C.K. (who had a Netflix special last year, a few months before his career imploded). They’re free to say whatever they want during their routines, and Netflix is free to give them time and space in which to say it. What seems to infuriate these comedians, however, is that audiences can talk back more easily now and say, “I don’t like that,” or “I didn’t find that funny,” or “That seemed cruel to me.” What comedians like Gervais object to is being made to think about what they’ve said, and potentially feel regret or guilt over having made a poor choice of material or words. That their initial impulse is to feel anger and resentment at the person raising an objection is telling.

What these comedians are demanding is that we respect their feelings while they exercise their constitutionally safeguarded prerogative to hurt other people’s feelings. That’s not a level playing field. It’s the power dynamic preferred by a playground bully, in which all the discomfort flows in one direction: away from them. They aren’t really angry about “censorship,” but instead about being reminded that other people are as human as they are, even if they refuse to recognize them as such. As my friend Jay Smooth put it recently, “The only thing more tiresome than lazy punch-down humor is all the tortured sophistry trotted out in defense of it, whenever someone deigns to critique it.” The title Humanity is ironic in ways that Gervais didn’t realize: The title tells you what’s missing.
FINE

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2480 on: March 14, 2018, 09:41:01 PM »
I'll agree with that review about the opening bit, it wasn't all that funny and he could have come up with a better way to point out that Jenner was pretty famous after the 76 Olympics.  And the chimp bit was kind of pointless.

I haven't watched the Chappelle special so don't know how that compares, but I did see the Chris Rock one and don't know why the reviewer is mentioning it, I don't remember his special mentioning anything like what Gervais did, it was about stuff going on in his personal life, getting divorced and stuff.

That reviewer seems to have gone in with an agenda and saw what they wanted to see, other than the opening bit the other bits mentioned were not explained correctly. 

It's pretty obvious there is an outrage culture along with comedians playing the victim.  The bits that worked in the Gervais special were the ones that pointed out how badly the outrage culture hunts for anything to be outraged about.

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #2481 on: March 14, 2018, 09:52:35 PM »
I don't think they are necessarily specifically talking about Rock's most recent special, although I haven't seen it, so I don't know. I haven't even seen this Gervais special - It's just a general theme he hits a lot.

(I also tend to think he's a pretty poor stand up - I've seen at least two of his specials.)
FINE

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2482 on: March 14, 2018, 10:31:09 PM »
I just read that same guy's review of the Chris Rock special and he seemed to love it, didn't mention anything that he is talking about in this review.  So it's a mystery why he lumped Chris in with Gervais and Chappelle.  I haven't seen anything by Chappelle since his show on Comedy Central so don't know if he is now playing the comedian as victim bit.

Trying to remember if I have seen any other standup specials by Gervais, don't think I have, I've seen him in plenty of other stuff.  For this special I really liked a couple of the bits, didn't like the opening one, and the rest were OK.  He does go mean spirited at the end of too many jokes that would otherwise be pretty funny.

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #2483 on: March 14, 2018, 10:39:53 PM »
Like I say, I don't think they are talking about Rock's specials, just his comments about political correctness 'killing' comedy in general. Like when he announced he was not doing college shows any more for that reason.
FINE

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2484 on: March 14, 2018, 10:56:51 PM »
Wasn't that like 7 or 8 years ago, he seems to have gotten over it.  Seinfeld also seems to have gotten over it, haven't heard him rant about it in a long time either.

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #2485 on: March 14, 2018, 11:00:31 PM »
Wasn't that like 7 or 8 years ago, he seems to have gotten over it.  Seinfeld also seems to have gotten over it, haven't heard him rant about it in a long time either.

Dunno - Has he started doing College shows again?

I've been watching Comedians in Cars lately, and Seinfeld talks about it fairly regularly on there, but these episodes are a few years ago now (and I'm just noticing all out of order on Netflix?).
FINE

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2486 on: March 14, 2018, 11:12:00 PM »
Comedians in Cars was a Crackle show started back in 2012, a few would come out every 6 months or so, it does look like Netflix has reordered them, at least the few I remember as being early or later are no longer in that order.  They have also been edited to take out the sponsored by Acura stuff.  I'm glad they are on Netflix now, Crackle was always a pain to use no matter what device I tried to watch the show on.

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #2487 on: March 14, 2018, 11:15:47 PM »
Comedians in Cars was a Crackle show started back in 2012, a few would come out every 6 months or so, it does look like Netflix has reordered them, at least the few I remember as being early or later are no longer in that order.  They have also been edited to take out the sponsored by Acura stuff.  I'm glad they are on Netflix now, Crackle was always a pain to use no matter what device I tried to watch the show on.

I was just watching it this morning - I'm in the 'fourth collection' and it was an episode from the first Crackle season. Strange.

Yeah, that's the same reason I never watched it before.
FINE

Offline Russoguru

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 171
  • "They belong here more than we"
« Reply #2488 on: March 15, 2018, 09:23:08 PM »
Dexter, season 1. Got a great deal on it at Wal-mart.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• Tells No Tales
  • Liked: 4274
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #2489 on: March 16, 2018, 07:04:20 AM »
Finally finished Iron Fist season 1.  Wow, that was bad.  I really wanted to be the dissenting opinion because I like the character and I didn't mind it for the first two episodes, even if it was a bit dull.  But the writing gets worse by the episode, the main character spends most of the series being less of a naif and more of a petulant, stupid child, the acting is largely flat and while I think I have a high cheesy tolerance, this was way too cheesy.

But the worst crime was turning some really interesting Iron Fist characters into forgettable one offs.  It's a special kind of crime to make the Bride of Nine Spiders a one-off who gets beaten within 5 minutes of her appearance.