Author Topic: What's the last Television show you watched on DVD/VHS/youtube/Netflix?  (Read 322978 times)

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 564
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
Re: What's the last Television show you watched on DVD/VHS/youtube/Netflix?
« Reply #2955 on: July 27, 2019, 03:49:54 PM »
The Boys - I just started watching this show last night and I really like it so far. In some ways its like Watchmen. It does deal with some deeper issues though, like how Superheroes are their own worst enemy, accountability, and selling your soul for the sake of capitalism. I also like how the leader of this superhero group named "The Seven"(Homelander) is basically a murdering asshole who wears the equivalent of the American flag as a cape.

We've seen Marvel and DC tackle this issue, albeit with varying levels of quality. 2016's Captain America Civil War dealt with the fallout from Sokovia. Batman V Superman dealt with... Batman and Superman punching each other, but instead of saying Uncle, Supes had to say "Martha" to get Batman to stop. One was a tremendous success, while the other was an unbelievably joyless failure. I'll let you guess which is which.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5712
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #2956 on: July 28, 2019, 10:25:26 AM »
I wondered how The Boys would compare to Watchmen. All the advertisements made it just look like Watchmen 2.0. Which is funny since we are getting a Watchmen show now. Personally, while it is an interesting idea to deconstruct superheroes, it's something I only really need to see once or twice. I like superheroes for the escapist fantasy, and part of that is the general optimism. Take Shazam for instance. That is a very optimistic superhero, even though he lives in a world that is at times very dark (monsters biting peoples' heads off, innocent doctor turning to ash for touching a magic door, etc).

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #2957 on: July 28, 2019, 05:26:33 PM »
I still highly recommend it because in the show the The Boys are the protagonists, who are actually actively trying to take down superheroes. In the world of Watchmen there was no such group or contingency plan to stop them should one or all of them go rogue.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2645
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2958 on: July 30, 2019, 08:31:42 AM »
 Finished The Boys last night.

Hard to say much without spoilers, it takes some wild turns.

It's well written, well acted, and once you start it pulls you in and keeps you watching.  The special effects are very high quality.

I'll just say there are practically no superheros in the show, most of the "superheros" are messed up a-holes that get away with violent crime.  Their superhero status is all marketing and public relations.  Their "saves" are all orchestrated by the corporation.  Of all the people we see that have super powers only a few could actually be called heroes. 

It ends on a huge cliffhanger, that kind of pissed me off, but looking it up they are shooting season 2 so it does seem like we get to see what happens next.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5712
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #2959 on: July 30, 2019, 05:12:17 PM »
I watched the first episode of The Hogfather. It was enjoyable, but not as good as Good Omens. There seemed to be a lot of it where the enjoyment would come from having read the book and simply recognizing things from it one screen. So not having read the book, things just seem to come out of nowhere with no explanation.
But I did enjoy it enough to watch the rest of it later.
The second episode was not nearly as good. Not very funny (in fact seemingly few jokes at all), and just way too many frustrating confusing parts. I just kept wondering what was happening and why. I'm sure if I had read the books I would know that, but an adaptation should be able to stand on it's own.
I'll still finish it, because there's only one episode left.
I finished The Hogfather. Overall it was just okay at best. A lot of stuff presented in a way that expects us to already know it.
Death is by far the best part, and I have heard he is apparently pretty accurate to the books.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #2960 on: July 30, 2019, 08:43:16 PM »
Finished The Boys last night.

Hard to say much without spoilers, it takes some wild turns.

It's well written, well acted, and once you start it pulls you in and keeps you watching.  The special effects are very high quality.

I'll just say there are practically no superheros in the show, most of the "superheros" are messed up a-holes that get away with violent crime.  Their superhero status is all marketing and public relations.  Their "saves" are all orchestrated by the corporation.  Of all the people we see that have super powers only a few could actually be called heroes. 

It ends on a huge cliffhanger, that kind of pissed me off, but looking it up they are shooting season 2 so it does seem like we get to see what happens next.
I also got to say I think that series showcases Karl Urban at his VERY, VERY best. Yes I know that's saying a lot considering how amazing he was as Dredd, Doctor McCoy and Eomer.

Offline The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4475
« Reply #2961 on: August 02, 2019, 02:44:53 PM »
Considering the source material, I'm surprised this got greenlit.  It's not something you can adapt for mass appeal without heavily watering it down.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3180
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #2962 on: August 07, 2019, 02:07:20 PM »
Been watching Cartoon Network's Infinity Train miniseries and it is really awesome so far. It was written by one of the writers for Regular Show, and it has a similar dealing-with-emotional-problems-via-surreal-manifestations kind of thing going on, but with a little more Alice in Wonderland and a sprinkle of video game logic. It speaks to me. I like it.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2639
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #2963 on: August 07, 2019, 06:55:36 PM »
Been watching Cartoon Network's Infinity Train miniseries and it is really awesome so far. It was written by one of the writers for Regular Show, and it has a similar dealing-with-emotional-problems-via-surreal-manifestations kind of thing going on, but with a little more Alice in Wonderland and a sprinkle of video game logic. It speaks to me. I like it.

Sounds good!
FINE

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2645
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2964 on: August 09, 2019, 09:53:58 PM »
Glow season 3.

Just binged the entire season in one sitting, wasn't planning on it but damn, every episode was so good.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #2965 on: August 10, 2019, 05:09:30 AM »
Glow season 3.

Just binged the entire season in one sitting, wasn't planning on it but damn, every episode was so good.

Oh yeah?  This is good news. Looking forward to it.

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 735
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #2966 on: August 17, 2019, 10:45:12 AM »
Invader Zim: Enter the Florpus

Pretty good. Maybe a bit too long. It's been a while since I watched Invader Zim. They really played up the tropes of the TV show. I feel like the animation style isn't quite the same, but the voices are spot on.

"GIR, all this evil is doing a number on my throat. Fetch me a SOOOTHING lozEEEEEnge."

"Dib, check out how huge your head looks on TV!"

"All this time trying to subjugate the Humans, and all I had to do was charge them for it."

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 735
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #2967 on: August 17, 2019, 01:02:08 PM »
Between Good Omens, Chernobyl, The Boys and Orville season 2, this has been a great year for streaming/TV series. Here's to hoping The Dark Crystal continues this trend.

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 383
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #2968 on: August 22, 2019, 03:06:46 PM »
Well, I finished watching The Boys too. I knew of the comparisons to Watchmen, but I didn't realize to what extent. One is in its execution of content & philosophy (gory, doesn't hold back, hard-R, and the line of good/bad is ultra-thin). But also everything from cinematography/color grading to dialogue and character development made it fit very much in-universe. Right down to DC comics using equivalents (Rorshach=The Question, Nite Owl=Blue Beetle :: Homelander=Superman, Queen Maeve=Wonder Woman). And yeah, funny because there's an HBO Watchmen tv series now.

What I liked most was its very real look at the world of celebrity; namely actors, politicians, and athletes. The allusions get pretty thick in a few places. If there *were* superheroes, The Boys is 100% how it would play out in the real world: i.e. corporatization. As one character deftly points out, "No one is famous alone." What I particularly like about this is how it develops themes of
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

My favorite character is actually not one of the leads and not one of The Boys either. It's Homelander, i.e. the perfect blend of Captain America and Superman. And, well, if you've seen the show, I can't describe his character better than this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

In any case, I thought it was pretty good for the most part. So should you watch it? If you like gritty hard-R or deconstructed superhero movies or Watchmen, then yeah. And it's only 8 episodes. But if not, then maybe give it a pass.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5137
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #2969 on: August 22, 2019, 03:40:54 PM »
So, after years of hearing about how it rubbed a lot of viewers the wrong way, I decided to watch Teen Titans Go for myself.  And I actually kind of liked it.  So I watched it for a while.  And there are some actually pretty funny episodes.  Then I dunno if I hit a lull or something, but I got tired of it hard.  The big problem for me is that it often goes to a weird "guys drooling over girls" humour that feels weird and out-of-date.  There are things that make me think that there's some good stuff down the line (isolated clips and episode descriptions and such) but for me, my viewing of it is on an indefinite hiatus.

Also She-Ra season three came out recently and it is pretty great.  Really, it's more like the second half of season two, but I guess that's how Netflix is breaking things up now.  Even Hordak, who has been pretty underdeveloped so far, becomes a much more sympathetic character, someone desperately searching for acceptance (granted, from his fascist space empire overlords) and somehow accidentally stumbling into a real friend.  The fallout of the season finale is definitely setting up some cool character dynamics for next season.