Author Topic: What's the last Television show you watched on DVD/VHS/youtube/Netflix?  (Read 315810 times)

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 250
Re: What's the last Television show you watched on DVD/VHS/youtube/Netflix?
« Reply #2940 on: June 13, 2019, 08:02:08 PM »
Watched Season 5 of Black Mirror over the last 2 nights. Criticism that it's lacking originality compared to the first 4 seasons probably valid. And the season is only 3 episodes. But the 3 episodes are all almost movie length (70 mintutes or so each). Despite the criticism being valid, not really a bad episode of the 3. 1 would have been better at half the length. Topher Grace was great in 2 and that was my favorite episode of the 3. Recognized the happy take on a Trent Reznor song in 3 immediately and that paid off in the end (and Miley Cyrus was supprisingly good).

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 713
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #2941 on: June 14, 2019, 02:21:52 PM »
Watched Season 5 of Black Mirror over the last 2 nights. Criticism that it's lacking originality compared to the first 4 seasons probably valid. And the season is only 3 episodes. But the 3 episodes are all almost movie length (70 mintutes or so each). Despite the criticism being valid, not really a bad episode of the 3. 1 would have been better at half the length. Topher Grace was great in 2 and that was my favorite episode of the 3. Recognized the happy take on a Trent Reznor song in 3 immediately and that paid off in the end (and Miley Cyrus was supprisingly good).

Smithereens was my favorite as well. Rachael, Jack and Ashley Too was quite possibly the funniest BM episode. The doll head banging at the end was priceless.

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 361
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #2942 on: June 15, 2019, 03:27:19 AM »
Finished Daredevil season 3 last night which was adapted from the comics' Born Again story arc. Wow. That's gotta be one of the best things I've seen on Netflix. I loved season 1 for its philosophical and theological debates as well as the character building (especially of Wilson Fisk). Season 2 took a downfall, especially with the Elektra storyline, but I expected S3 to be a bit better based on reviews. Didn't know it'd be so stellar! It was quite intense a lot of times too. Some scenes of just two characters talking could be nail-biting. All the action scenes were spectacular too. I was blown away by the one-take scene of the jail breakout (instead of a hallway). They actually included a scene with dialogue and characters to progress the plot right in the middle of it all. While there isn't a whole lot of action in the beginning, it really ramps up to a very satisfying conclusion culminating to my favorite speech of the series. Can't say enough about how great all the characters, story, plot twists, action, drama, fight choreography, cinematography, and music all are.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 03:28:50 AM by stansimpson »

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 514
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #2943 on: June 15, 2019, 09:23:34 AM »
I read an article on Rotten Tomatoes recently... apparently Season 4 of The Good Place is going to be its last season.  :'(

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2593
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2944 on: June 15, 2019, 12:59:57 PM »
I read an article on Rotten Tomatoes recently... apparently Season 4 of The Good Place is going to be its last season.  :'(

Darn, even though it is a premise that can't just keep going forever, but they have done such amazing work keeping it going I thought maybe we would get 5 seasons.

Just read an interview with Mike Schur and it seems he decided on 4 years back during season 2, they even thought about wrapping it up in season 3 but they just couldn't cram everything they wanted into last season.  I only read half the interview because it started to get into hints about season 4.

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2945 on: June 15, 2019, 01:25:56 PM »
I finally finished up the Netflix Voltron series.  I guess I'm OK with the ending.  Was a pretty good series overall.

Also been watching a lot of Grace Under Fire on Amazon Prime lately, haven't seen it since it aired and I think I find it more funny now than when it aired.

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6817
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #2946 on: June 15, 2019, 11:51:55 PM »

Darn, even though it is a premise that can't just keep going forever, but they have done such amazing work keeping it going I thought maybe we would get 5 seasons.

Just read an interview with Mike Schur and it seems he decided on 4 years back during season 2, they even thought about wrapping it up in season 3 but they just couldn't cram everything they wanted into last season.  I only read half the interview because it started to get into hints about season 4.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/WjEvjmnJ-FA" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/WjEvjmnJ-FA</a>

no spoilers in the clip, just: after season one... well, how long do we think this idea merits to be on television... and we sort of felt like the right length was four years. darcy's and will's reactions were right.
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2611
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #2947 on: June 16, 2019, 06:21:06 PM »
I'm extremely happy that they are wrapping up while the show is still perfect. So many shows outstay their welcome.
FINE

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2948 on: June 17, 2019, 08:22:49 AM »
Binged all of Russian Doll yesterday.

Great show, starting out you think it's just going to be a more weird version of Groundhog Day but it goes darker yet still funny, and takes all kinds of twists and turns, and loads of character development.

It also uses a song a lot that I've know since I was a kid since I've had the album that long, but I've never heard it on the radio or used in any show or movie.  (Gotta Get Up, from the album Nilisson Schmilsson)

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2611
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #2949 on: June 17, 2019, 05:58:36 PM »

Great show, starting out you think it's just going to be a more weird version of Groundhog Day but it goes darker yet still funny, and takes all kinds of twists and turns, and loads of character development.

It also uses a song a lot that I've know since I was a kid since I've had the album that long, but I've never heard it on the radio or used in any show or movie.  (Gotta Get Up, from the album Nilisson Schmilsson)

Yeah, I love that Album - Big Nilsson fan - My six year old particularly loves that song to and loves to listen to it on repeat. :D
FINE

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2950 on: June 22, 2019, 09:00:47 AM »
Finished all episodes of Grace Under Fire streaming on Amazon Prime.   The 4th season you can see the decline start, and that last season when they abruptly shut down you can really see the wheels coming off.

Sad to see on screen hints of the mess that was going on with Brett Butler self destructing due to drugs.  Also sad to see funny co-stars driven away, Julie White, Lauren Tom...

But the first 3 seasons are quite funny.

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2951 on: June 22, 2019, 10:51:19 AM »

Yeah, I love that Album - Big Nilsson fan - My six year old particularly loves that song to and loves to listen to it on repeat. :D

I just pulled out the vinyl copy of Nilisson Schmilsson that I got in the 80s, still in perfect condition, probably because most of the albums I picked up in the mid to late 80s only got played a few times before I switched to CDs (I do have it on CD as well).  I had the album on 8 track in the 70s, ah the good old days of opening up an 8 track to fix the splice when the glue holding the metal strip would fail...

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 713
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #2952 on: June 23, 2019, 09:54:02 PM »
Chernobyl

If this doesn't sweep the Emmys I will be severely disappointed. Not to mention surprised. This is the best thing I've seen on TV in a long time. It is incredibly well written and well acted. And the score is nothing short of haunting. The most amazing part though is how accurate it is to what actually happened. Yes, they did take some dramatic license, moving some events around or attributing actions to different people than who actually did it. But almost everything they show did actually occur in some way or another.

Watch it, even if you have to pirate it. Also listen to the the corresponding podcasts for each episode (which you can find on Youtube), where they discuss the particulars of how things went down in real life versus the mini-series.

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 361
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #2953 on: July 11, 2019, 09:47:22 AM »
Finished Netflix's German drama/mystery/sci-fi show Dark season 2. Easily one of the greatest tv shows I've ever seen. It's about a small sleepy town in Germany where several young boys go missing which also happened 33 years prior. Then it gets really... tangled. A ton of characters that require family trees and outlines and such, but SO worth it. I would compare it to Twin Peaks (small town disrupted by murder that uncovers the town's seedy underbelly across several generations spurred on by supernatural/sci-fi elements) mixed with True Detective season 1 (tone, level of quality and mystery and religious iconography).

The dubbed version is terrible btw. Subtitles are the only way to go. The plot and characters get pretty confusing about 3 episodes in. I usually can’t go more than 10mins without pausing to either refresh myself on who the characters are or at least updating who they are. It takes effort and interest. They don’t spell out anything to viewers. It involves a ton of deduction, but it’s extremely rewarding for me. As a murder mystery, it fits the genre too. It's just done so well. The cinematography, the music, the writing. They’re all extremely well done. I would say if you start watching it and you’re not interested where the story is going beyond the fourth episode then maybe it’s best to stop there. So, yes, I recommend it… but don't expect to be doing 5 other things while watching.

It's a planned series too. They're only doing 3 seasons. Really refreshing considering there's just as many mysteries as LOST, but I have a feeling this will have a much more satisfying ending, especially considering the quality has only been increasing as evidenced by Ratingraph.com:
https://i.imgur.com/XFr16HN.jpg
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 09:39:09 AM by stansimpson »

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5644
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #2954 on: July 13, 2019, 02:33:17 PM »
Stranger Things season 3 - I enjoyed this. Not their strongest season, since so many of the characters are apart and the three separate plots make the whole thing a lot more complicated. But the performances are all really good, as usual. And I appreciate that all of the relationships drama was left for this season where we have already gotten to like the characters. I loved that they really went for the gore this time, too.