Author Topic: What's the last Television show you watched on DVD/VHS/youtube/Netflix?  (Read 325680 times)

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6869
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
Re: What's the last Television show you watched on DVD/VHS/youtube/Netflix?
« Reply #2865 on: March 24, 2019, 12:19:07 AM »
talking dog

like, dog dog, or capybara?
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3206
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #2866 on: March 24, 2019, 02:02:26 AM »
An actual dog this time.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5896
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #2867 on: March 24, 2019, 05:51:39 AM »
I finished The Umbrella Academy. I did enjoy it, but I thought the ending was weak. And while the longform storytelling did let them get into more character developement than they would have otherwise, I think ten episodes wasn't necessary. They could have done this in about six episodes and it would have been a little better. But that is a minor nitpick, and I do plan on checking out Season 2 when it comes out.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2648
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #2868 on: March 24, 2019, 04:25:30 PM »
I finished The Umbrella Academy. I did enjoy it, but I thought the ending was weak. And while the longform storytelling did let them get into more character developement than they would have otherwise, I think ten episodes wasn't necessary. They could have done this in about six episodes and it would have been a little better. But that is a minor nitpick, and I do plan on checking out Season 2 when it comes out.

I thought it was great except for the ending - never felt it was over long at all.

I don't know why, but it never felt like it was not going to wrap the arc up, so the abrupt ending felt like a real blindside.
FINE

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5178
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #2869 on: March 25, 2019, 05:23:40 PM »
I watched a bunch of episodes during Christmas time but I decided to watch the Marvelous Ms. Maisel from the beginning.  There are a few things that strain my credibility a little bit even on the second watch but most of those complaints are small.  They are mostly related to certain elements of how the world of stand up is treated but compared to most fictionalized takes on stand up, this show is probably one of the better representations and I like that the character actually has to work, bomb and put in the leg work to get good at it.  But the show has such great characters and the title characters relationship with the rest all work really well in different ways.  I can't wait to both go through it again and then catch up with the episodes I haven't seen yet.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2657
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2870 on: March 25, 2019, 06:05:11 PM »
I watched a bunch of episodes during Christmas time but I decided to watch the Marvelous Ms. Maisel from the beginning.  There are a few things that strain my credibility a little bit even on the second watch but most of those complaints are small.  They are mostly related to certain elements of how the world of stand up is treated but compared to most fictionalized takes on stand up, this show is probably one of the better representations and I like that the character actually has to work, bomb and put in the leg work to get good at it.  But the show has such great characters and the title characters relationship with the rest all work really well in different ways.  I can't wait to both go through it again and then catch up with the episodes I haven't seen yet.

It is best to watch them in order.  I had watched them all twice before getting my 4K TV, I've now watched about half of them 3 times.   Some of the location shots look incredible in 4K HDR.  The stuff they are doing with Lenny Bruce is mostly accurate, they are of course compressing time, some of that stuff with him happened in the 60s.

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5178
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #2871 on: March 26, 2019, 09:35:21 AM »

It is best to watch them in order.

I did, but this is a rewatch so I'm not lost when I catch up to the mid-point of season 2.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #2872 on: March 26, 2019, 02:33:01 PM »
Thanks for the reminder. I really need to check out this show.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #2873 on: March 27, 2019, 06:54:28 AM »
I am finally giving Red Dwarf a chance. I'm two episodes in so far and enjoying it a lot already.
I went through the rest of Season 1 yesterday. Yeah, I definitely like this show. I can see why it has the cult following. Apparently it gets even better in the next few seasons, so I am looking forward to that.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 261
« Reply #2874 on: March 27, 2019, 03:16:19 PM »
Love Death + Robots
Animation in most episodes good. A couple were very, very video gamey. Enjoyed some of the episodes. Some were easily forgettable and some were just kind of dumb. Overall rating when taken as a whole would be just OK.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2657
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2875 on: March 27, 2019, 04:18:42 PM »
I am finally giving Red Dwarf a chance. I'm two episodes in so far and enjoying it a lot already.
I went through the rest of Season 1 yesterday. Yeah, I definitely like this show. I can see why it has the cult following. Apparently it gets even better in the next few seasons, so I am looking forward to that.

The next few seasons are the best, then I thought it kind of went on a slide, then there was the 10 year break, and a 2 year break, and a 4 year break, ending up with 12 seasons in 30 years (so far, rumor has it they are making another season this year).

I thought the seasons they did in 2016 and 2017 were more like the early stuff.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #2876 on: March 27, 2019, 08:03:28 PM »
I watched the first two episodes of the new show The Order on Netflix. I'm not impressed. Does it get better later on? As in more stuff actually happen, rather than all this interpersonal cliché drama?

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #2877 on: March 30, 2019, 11:34:34 AM »
I watched the new Critters: A New Binge show on Shudder. This was fun! I liked that the main character was the one who would normally be the fat kid comic relief side character.
I like the initial joke of them making fun of a movie with bad CGI, to emphasize the practical effects of the Crites themselves. But then right after that they have a bad CGI space battle.
They have a diner in this and it's not The Hungry Heifer? That's a missed opportunity. I still remember that jingle.
This is ten episodes, each about ten minutes, and it's one continuous story. I don't get why this wasn't just one movie.
I was really disappointed when they
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Wow! I did NOT see that twist coming! Seriously, I thought
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

On a side note, why doesn't Shudder have an option to watch the next episode when the current one is up?

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3206
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #2878 on: April 04, 2019, 11:06:27 PM »
The Tick: Season 2 went up on Amazon a couple hours ago. 2 episodes in, and I really like how this season is shaping up. There's a lot of fun to be had with the table they're setting.

Offline WhyDontTheyLook

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 112
  • Tell me.
    • GaryWOlson.com
« Reply #2879 on: April 05, 2019, 12:32:56 PM »
Santa Clarita Diet season 3 on Netflix... the only thing I don't like about this show is that it goes by so fast (on account of it being ten episodes and my wife and I not being able to resist watching 2 a day) and having to wait a whole year for the next batch.  This season was absolutely hilarious, with storylines going in all directions yet never feeling disconnected or tangled as they weaved about one another and came together at the end.  I was also happy to see Linda Lavin (of "Alice" fame) join the show (as a cranky shut-in turned newly undead).
"You never know, in a tight jam a nuclear missile just might come in handy."