Author Topic: What's the last Television show you watched on DVD/VHS/youtube/Netflix?  (Read 374943 times)

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3478
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
Re: What's the last Television show you watched on DVD/VHS/youtube/Netflix?
« Reply #3225 on: January 16, 2021, 04:29:26 PM »
About half way through season 3 of Disenchantment, so far it's OK, nothing has really stood out but nothing bad either.

You're describing the first season, and probably the second too. :P
FINE

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 3229
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #3226 on: January 16, 2021, 04:42:24 PM »
About half way through season 3 of Disenchantment, so far it's OK, nothing has really stood out but nothing bad either.

Yeah, the entire show has been like that, this season so far is pretty much more of the same.  But there is a continuing story so that along with the occasional humor does keep me from giving up on it.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2609
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #3227 on: January 18, 2021, 12:08:20 PM »

Yeah, the entire show has been like that, this season so far is pretty much more of the same.  But there is a continuing story so that along with the occasional humor does keep me from giving up on it.

The one complaint I have over season 2 and 3 that set it apart from the first, is I think they rely too much of catchphrases, and are forcing a few things to be catchphrases that maybe shouldn't have been.

Not enough to drive me away, and I admit every time they slip in a Futurama line it makes me smile.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #3228 on: January 18, 2021, 12:12:01 PM »

The one complaint I have over season 2 and 3 that set it apart from the first, is I think they rely too much of catchphrases, and are forcing a few things to be catchphrases that maybe shouldn't have been.

Not enough to drive me away, and I admit every time they slip in a Futurama line it makes me smile.

I finished season 3, I thought the last few episodes were more funny, some really good gags.  Using the beer/wine barrels against the ogres was hilarious.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #3229 on: January 18, 2021, 01:27:13 PM »
Been running pretty quickly through the Netflix reboot of She-Ra.

From the start I was very impressed by how much actual character the characters now have. I can't think of a single character I dislike, and I'm blown away by how much I enjoy certain ones. The idea that Scorpia would become a favorite of mine is not something I ever would have considered. Also really love all the tweaks and expansions they've given to the lore.

Into season 4 our of 5 already, only been watching a couple weeks.

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1266
  • My name is Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau
« Reply #3230 on: January 18, 2021, 06:16:20 PM »
I just finished rewatching the entirety of Stargate: Universe again.

It really cheeses me off that this show got cancelled after only two seasons. Yes, it is very different from the previous Stargate shows, and yes it does take quite a while to really get going. But once it does get going, it's very good. It's much more character driven and less "alien planet of the week" like the other shows. It tried too hard to be Stargate: Battlestar Galactica, especially early on. Once it had driven away Stargate fans, it never managed to win them back, even though the show gets a lot better after the first mid season break.

And I love the design of the ship, Destiny. Very "retro futuristic", if that makes any sense. The ship is extremely old. If Stargate:Atlantis was a sleek Apple store product, Universe was the 286 you cobbled together in your garage.

I know there is a graphic novel series that picks up where the show ends, but none of the original creators had anything to do with it. I've debated whether or not to give it a try.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6696
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #3231 on: January 22, 2021, 06:01:34 PM »
WandaVision episode 3. Okay, I am getting really sick of all the stupid sitcom humor! Yes we get it, it's a throwback it's goofy. But we're a third of the way through a 9 episode series and we don't even have an inciting incident yet! And no I don't think the birth of her kids are going to be a major part of the plot because we don't even know what all is real or not. This is just padding. And they're not even using it to find out more about the characters.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3989
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #3232 on: January 22, 2021, 07:27:38 PM »
I strongly suspect that the inciting incidents in this show don't look like inciting incidents yet, and these episodes are gonna be a joy to rewatch when the curtain is fully pulled away.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #3233 on: January 22, 2021, 07:54:42 PM »
I wouldn't be shocked if episode 8 or 9 completely reframe the series. I've been tempted to look up things about SWORD to find clues to where this is going, but I think I'll enjoy it more without that.

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #3234 on: January 28, 2021, 07:58:04 PM »
Finished up She-Ra today.

By far my favorite bit of media to come from Masters of the Universe. Looking forward to the next time I talk to my niece, since I know she loves it too.

Everyone involved with shaping these versions of the characters deserves a damn medal. Getting characters this rich and well rounded out of a line of action figures couldn't be easy.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #3235 on: January 29, 2021, 09:01:51 AM »
Been watching Mad About You on Amazon Prime a lot lately.  And my crush on Helen Hunt is back, I watched the show live and every rerun whenever it was on in the 90s.  Such a perfect show, even the dog is fantastic.

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1266
  • My name is Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau
« Reply #3236 on: January 30, 2021, 07:07:44 PM »
Just finished Hunters on Amazon.

Pretty good show. About a group of vigilante Jews (mostly) who have taken it upon themselves to hunt down and kill Nazis living in the US. Very far fetched for the most part, but Operation Paperclip was a real thing, and Werner von Braun was indeed a Nazi before he was brought to the US to head the Apollo program. It's true that about 20,000 concentration camp victims were killed building his V2 rockets for Hitler. More people than were killed by the actual rocket attacks themselves.

That was a hell of a twist in the final episode. Probably should have seen something like that coming, but it was so implausible that it just didn't occur to me.

Season 2 is coming, but honestly I think it would be better if they had ended it there. One thing that really bugs me about these streaming services is how they can never just end a series definitely. They always want to leave open the possibility for another season, which may or may not actually get made (I'm looking at you Daybreak).

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #3237 on: January 31, 2021, 04:04:14 PM »
I watched the Creepshow Holiday Special on SHUDDER. That was great! This one isn't an anthology. Just one 45 minute special episode about a guy at a "Shapshifters Anonymous" meeting that goes absolutely crazy! I don't want to spoil anything, especially the connection to Christmas, so I'll leave it at that. Definitely worth your time. Don't let the terrible animated special keep you away like it did me.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #3238 on: January 31, 2021, 06:00:55 PM »
I watched the pilot episode of Freaks and Geeks. Um...why does this have such a cult following? Aside from seeing a lot of talented actors and actresses getting their start, it was just kinda dull.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3478
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #3239 on: January 31, 2021, 06:42:24 PM »
I watched the pilot episode of Freaks and Geeks. Um...why does this have such a cult following? Aside from seeing a lot of talented actors and actresses getting their start, it was just kinda dull.

Virtually no comedy pilot is as good as a series gets
FINE