Author Topic: What's the last Television show you watched on DVD/VHS/youtube/Netflix?  (Read 355648 times)

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 3036
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Re: What's the last Television show you watched on DVD/VHS/youtube/Netflix?
« Reply #3165 on: July 17, 2020, 08:48:36 AM »
Warrior Nun

Watched all 10 episodes yesterday.

First episode drew me in pretty well, then the next 5 had way too much stuff I wasn't interested in, but the last 4 episodes were good, with the last 2 being very good.  If I hadn't been completely mesmerized by Alba Baptista I probably would have stopped watching around episode 4...

The story is interesting, cinematography is great, fight sequence choreography is also great.  I expected some kind of twist at the end but it ends on a massive cliffhanger (3 actually). 

I was hitting FF quite a bit in those middle episodes, all the boring crap with church politics derails the story so many times.  Sure after the cliffhanger you think back and realize there were red herrings being thrown at you, but they over did it to the point where a lot of people might stop watching half way through. 

I think this is a common problem with Netflix shows, 6 episodes worth of content padded out to 10.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6411
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #3166 on: July 17, 2020, 12:24:28 PM »

I think this is a common problem with Netflix shows, 6 episodes worth of content padded out to 10.
I noticed that a lot with Lock & Key.

Offline stethacantus

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 210
« Reply #3167 on: July 23, 2020, 04:47:01 PM »
Actually, I finished watching season 1 of Monty Python's Flying Circus from the Norwegian Blu-ray set almost two weeks ago, but didn't consider the first season finished until I had finished reading the pocket sized paperback book that came with the set, and have only gotten up to the part where they are recording films for the frost episodes now. The first few chapters list every single thing all of the individual Pythons contributed to, even sketches for some shows never mentioned in previous Python books. So that will take a while. Needless to say, you will be far more impressed with the liner notes book than with the picture quality of the restoration.

The restoration is a vast improvement over the A&E release of the first season episodes, but didn't seem much better than the Paramount Home Video release.  I did not notice any new material added to any of the season one episodes that was not already added to the A&E set. Which is basically a longer version of episode one. Although the outtakes were pretty good, and occasionally included a few scraps of lost sketches. I did have a couple of problems. Some of the filmed skits including the opening It's Man segments look as if they were digitally compressed and decompressed, so that they are blocky instead of sharp. Another problem, it appears tat when they restored the segments where viewers letters are being read, instead of using the original video, they froze the image and digitally enhanced it so they were clearer than they were on the tape. But in doing that they made a mistake. This is a letter from a viewer complaining about a sketch where office workers were jumping out of a window during a board meeting, and the workers on the lower floors were taking bets as to who would jump next.

However, in the original version, the camera pulls back to reveal the rest of the letter, where the viewer had apparently fallen out of a window while writing it.

There is no pullback on the new version. Admittedly, they did the pullback wrong and the letter was blurry, but the joke was seeing that line made when the writer apparently fell out of a window.  So did they cut that part of the gag because it was too blurry to fix? Or was this a mistake of the team restoring the episodes who didn't realize there was a pullback gag?

It will probably be a while before I get to the rest of the seasons. I am currently slogging my way through the 70s Wonder Woman series, also have Drawn Together going, and am expecting to get a few other complete series in the weeks and months to come. So watching them all depends on how long it takes for television production of any scripted television series to resume. Thanks to idiots crowding beaches, bars and parties, this pandemic may not end until March of 2021, so it may be a long wait for new episodes of anything. Currently they are burning through the last episodes filmed before the pandemic shut everything down.

JTU

« Reply #3168 on: July 23, 2020, 05:41:52 PM »
The Norwegian Blu-ray?  What's wrong with it?  Beautiful plumage!

I know that sketch where the guy falls after that line.  That was funny.  They probably just tightened up the direction for rhythm but the scream is funny so I think that would be a bad change to take it out.

I've been watching Monty Python all my life and I've never
                                                                                           \
                                                                                           |
                                                                                           \
                                                                                            |
                                                                                            \   
                                                                                             |
                                                                                             \
                                                                                              |
                                                                                               [willhelm]

Offline stethacantus

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #3169 on: July 23, 2020, 08:16:31 PM »
The Norwegian Blu-ray?  What's wrong with it?  Beautiful plumage!

I know that sketch where the guy falls after that line.  That was funny.  They probably just tightened up the direction for rhythm but the scream is funny so I think that would be a bad change to take it out.

I've been watching Monty Python all my life and I've never
                                                                                           \
                                                                                           |
                                                                                           \
                                                                                            |
                                                                                            \   
                                                                                             |
                                                                                             \
                                                                                              |
                                                                                               [willhelm]

The scream is still there. The audio wasn't edited. They just redid the letters so that they were more clear than on the original videos. The problem was they neglected to add the part where the camera pulls back to reveal the rest of  the letter.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #3170 on: July 26, 2020, 07:54:15 PM »
Red Dwarf: The Promised Land

Pretty good, quite a few good laughs, nice to see original Holly again.

It's streaming on Britbox now. 

Offline Russoguru

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1009
  • Thank you, sweet Rabbit!
« Reply #3171 on: July 27, 2020, 01:21:02 AM »
Solar Opposites... REALLY GOOD. It's no Rick and Morty(yet), but it's still pretty fun.

Offline Russoguru

« Reply #3172 on: August 01, 2020, 10:27:48 AM »
True Detective, specifically season 1, episode 2 - Seeing things. (NSFW BTW) Guys... if any of you love Alexandra Daddario... fast forward to 16:10 in this episode. You're welcome.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3823
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #3173 on: August 01, 2020, 12:36:07 PM »
Caught the first few episodes of Transformers: War for Cybertron on Netflix. It's pretty much the Transformers cartoon that G1 fans have been wanting for years. Not sure how accessible it would be to the uninitiated, though.

Online CJones

• Liked: 1024
  • My name is RaphaĆ«l Ambrosius Costeau
« Reply #3174 on: August 03, 2020, 01:53:08 PM »
Umbrella Academy: Season 2

Nowhere near as good as the first season, I'm sorry to say. They took very little actual plot and padded it out with social commentary on racism and homosexuality. SJWs will love it, but those looking for more of what made the first season good, not so much.

This season brings up more questions than it answers:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline Russoguru

« Reply #3175 on: August 07, 2020, 06:03:26 PM »
Caught the first few episodes of Transformers: War for Cybertron on Netflix. It's pretty much the Transformers cartoon that G1 fans have been wanting for years. Not sure how accessible it would be to the uninitiated, though.
I will definitely have to resub to Netflix to watch that. I wish it was on Prime. These days I have a limit on two paid streaming services max. Right now I have Amazon Prime and Disney Plus. I wish there was a bundle deal where I could get all three.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #3176 on: August 08, 2020, 11:58:51 AM »
I've seen three episodes so far, and I find it wayyyyy too stretched out. So much standing around talking! And what action we do get isn't that impressive. Partly because their design is so clunky (although I do prefer it over the Bayformer monstrocities). I'm hoping that it is leading up to more impressive action ending.
And what is with the constant fog cloud in every shot? Is Cybertron in the moors of Scotland?! I think it's supposed to be dust, but it's just...there. Blatantly a after effect obscuring some of the shot.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #3177 on: August 09, 2020, 10:16:17 AM »
I've seen three episodes so far, and I find it wayyyyy too stretched out. So much standing around talking! And what action we do get isn't that impressive. Partly because their design is so clunky (although I do prefer it over the Bayformer monstrocities). I'm hoping that it is leading up to more impressive action ending.
And what is with the constant fog cloud in every shot? Is Cybertron in the moors of Scotland?! I think it's supposed to be dust, but it's just...there. Blatantly a after effect obscuring some of the shot.
I finished it. Yeah, this is about an hour and a half of plot stretched out over two and a half hours. The action is a little better in the last episode, but it's not mind blowing or anything. I'll probably check out the next season when it comes out, hopefully that will be more action heavy.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #3178 on: August 15, 2020, 12:29:32 PM »
All of Legend Of Korra is now on Netflix, watched a bunch of my favorite episodes.

Offline stethacantus

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #3179 on: August 16, 2020, 10:41:12 PM »
Completed the Drawn Together Complete Collection. One of the few cartoon series that is binge worthy for it's entire run, provided you are not offended by any of it.