login

Author Topic: What's the last Television show you watched on DVD/VHS/youtube/Netflix?  (Read 349730 times)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6323
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
Re: What's the last Television show you watched on DVD/VHS/youtube/Netflix?
« Reply #3135 on: June 12, 2020, 06:16:35 AM »
I've started watching more of Gravity falls and... dammit I am really enjoying that show!

I also just got the first season of Steven universe yesterday, which I have NEVER seen. I am enjoying it a lot.
I should really check both of those out.

Offline Russoguru

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 905
  • Define lunch or be disintegrated!
« Reply #3136 on: June 12, 2020, 06:28:36 AM »
I've started watching more of Gravity falls and... dammit I am really enjoying that show!

I also just got the first season of Steven universe yesterday, which I have NEVER seen. I am enjoying it a lot.
BTW Gravity falls is on Disney+. But I found the whole series at Walmart about a month ago for $19.99.

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 2969
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #3137 on: June 12, 2020, 01:01:32 PM »
Got the Blu-Ray set for all of The Good Place.

Many extra little scenes that are not in the streaming versions, I guess these are the fabled extra long versions.  A few times on the podcast they mentioned they were editing 2 or 3 versions for many episodes, one that fits air time, one a little longer for streaming, and sometimes an even longer one for later release.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2446
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #3138 on: June 12, 2020, 01:27:17 PM »

Many extra little scenes that are not in the streaming versions, I guess these are the fabled extra long versions.  A few times on the podcast they mentioned they were editing 2 or 3 versions for many episodes, one that fits air time, one a little longer for streaming, and sometimes an even longer one for later release.

May need to pick those up. Anything to get more show out of that show.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #3139 on: June 12, 2020, 01:48:55 PM »

May need to pick those up. Anything to get more show out of that show.

Get the 9 disc set, the 9th disk has the un-bleeped blooper reels and the comic-con panel discussion.

I do wish there were more commentary tracks, I've only noticed a few in the first season, none for any last season episodes. 

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #3140 on: June 12, 2020, 05:14:49 PM »

They are both super good.  Steven Universe begins as a goofy adventure show and soon things get fucking real.

Gravity Falls meanwhile is basically Eerie, Indiana meets the Simpsons (both admitted influences on the show by the creator), albeit with a beautiful, definitive ending.

Good Place is also super amazing.  Unfortunately, am watching on Netflix and waiting for the last season.  Sure it will show up some day but the last season of Last Man on Earth never did.  *scowl* Also watch Last Man on Earth but warning: humour is super cringey and the main character is awful (by desin) in season one and tries to redeem himself but remains hilariously irritating through the rest of the series.  But it is a surprisingly sweet and strangely hopeful (about people, at least, if not their situation) show, despite its bleakness.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2446
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #3141 on: June 16, 2020, 06:08:12 AM »

They are both super good.  Steven Universe begins as a goofy adventure show and soon things get fucking real.

Gravity Falls meanwhile is basically Eerie, Indiana meets the Simpsons (both admitted influences on the show by the creator), albeit with a beautiful, definitive ending.

Good Place is also super amazing.  Unfortunately, am watching on Netflix and waiting for the last season.  Sure it will show up some day but the last season of Last Man on Earth never did.  *scowl* Also watch Last Man on Earth but warning: humour is super cringey and the main character is awful (by desin) in season one and tries to redeem himself but remains hilariously irritating through the rest of the series.  But it is a surprisingly sweet and strangely hopeful (about people, at least, if not their situation) show, despite its bleakness.

I might need to give Last Man on Earth another try. Only got a couple episodes in when it debuted, but I love so many people on that cast.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3053
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #3142 on: June 16, 2020, 04:58:28 PM »
I might need to give Last Man on Earth another try. Only got a couple episodes in when it debuted, but I love so many people on that cast.

Extremely underrated show. It gets better and better as it goes on.
FINE

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #3143 on: June 16, 2020, 09:16:05 PM »
Third episode of Stargirl. The actual superhero stuff is fun! But everything else is just frustrating. Way too on the nose dialog. Stargirl herself is so naively optimistic that she is often annoying. Poor Luke Wilson, who deserves much better than this, is relegated to the sidelines spouting nothing but cliche overprotective parent platitudes. Which we know aren't going anywhere because if she did do what he says there wouldn't be a series! The thing is, he's not wrong, superheroing is a dangerous life. But he's just a wet blanket on the entire reason we're watching! I hope after another episode or two he gets over that. Oh, and his son is an annoying little shit!
This episode is particularly poorly written. At one point a kid dies while Stargirl and Stripes were there to save kids on a bus. She failed to save him, yet the episode doesn't even have her blame herself. Of all the times when a movie or show has the hero blame themselves unnecessarily, yet here she should be. And it ends with her thinking she can just find the villains and defeat them without a plan. Bitch, your friend just died because you don't know what you're doing! Also in the bad writing front, the main villain Icicle (yeah it's not that threatening a name, but it's from the comics so I can't blame the show) deliberately kills the kid of his fellow villain that he had been trying to manipulate. So this is his way of motivating him to take a more active role, right? Nope! Icicle just kills the guy anyways (who was one of his more powerful allies, mind you) for no real reason. So killing his kid was completely pointless! Also, he kills him in a way that he could have done at any point in the episode. So, again, wasting time.
I'm curious to see the new characters the show is going to introduce in the next few episodes, so I'll check them out. But this show is testing my patience so far.

Offline Russoguru

« Reply #3144 on: June 17, 2020, 09:37:36 PM »
I am currently watching the first season of Another Period with the extraordinarily talented Natasha Leggero and Riki Lindhome. This series even has the gorgeous Christina Hendricks, as well as the stunning Criminal Minds alum Paget Brewster. It's been absolutely hilarious, with cameos from Kate Micucci(which is kind of expected) and Ben Stiller.

The show in my opinion has a bit of an "Arrested development" vibe going for it.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 10:22:36 PM by Russoguru »

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1751
« Reply #3145 on: June 18, 2020, 06:50:17 AM »
I am currently watching the first season of Another Period with the extraordinarily talented Natasha Leggero and Riki Lindhome. This series even has the gorgeous Christina Hendricks, as well as the stunning Criminal Minds alum Paget Brewster. It's been absolutely hilarious, with cameos from Kate Micucci(which is kind of expected) and Ben Stiller.

The show in my opinion has a bit of an "Arrested development" vibe going for it.

Love that show. Wasn’t a big fan of Hamish and the gross out humor of his character, but the rest was great.

Offline CJones

• Liked: 959
  • My name is Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau
« Reply #3146 on: June 20, 2020, 06:17:16 PM »
I decided to re-watch Star Trek Discovery. Well season 2 anyway, season 1 is a slog. I actually recommend just starting at S2. It is vastly better.

It's actually a pretty decent show. To be perfectly honest, I enjoyed Discovery FAR more than ST:Picard (talk about a slog to get through). But my biggest complaint about the show is still prevalent: The main character is just awful. She only has two modes of acting. 50% Screaming orders at everyone, and 50% crying. Everyone else is fantastic. Especially Anson Mount as Captain Pike. It's a real shame he won't be in season 3, but he's getting his own show so I have that to look forward to.   

Offline Russoguru

« Reply #3147 on: June 21, 2020, 03:58:59 PM »
I just finished watching Star Trek Picard and... it did take quite a while for this series to get going for me. It was sometime around episode five where I actually started feeling interested in what was going on. Then in the final four episodes shit starts to get really damn good. The finale? The end... I liked it but part of it felt like a cheat. I was almost glad because I was feeling like they were just going to end things there... in a way that I can't discuss without spoiling things.

Anyway, they made it so that this series either may or may not have a season 2. But the way things were looking, I was not expecting that there would be a second season, now? Not sure.

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #3148 on: June 21, 2020, 06:21:20 PM »
Finished my blu-ray rewatch of The Good Place, so many extra scenes not in the streaming episodes.

Seasons 1 and 2 have lots of tiny bits added back in, you'll notice 1 or 2 seconds at a time (if you've watched them streaming tons like I have).  Seasons 3 and 4 have a lot more extras, even entire sub plots that were edited out.  I think season 3 has the most extra footage added back in.

There are only a few episodes with commentary tracks, but we have the podcast for every episode so not a big deal.

9th disc in the set has the un-bleeped blooper reels for each season and a Comic Con panel.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #3149 on: June 21, 2020, 08:50:31 PM »
I watched an episode of Grimm and I wasn't all that impressed.
But now I'm watching Constantine and it's much better. I'm definitely going to watch the rest of this show.