Author Topic: What's the last Television show you watched on DVD/VHS/youtube/Netflix?  (Read 359005 times)

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3857
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
Re: What's the last Television show you watched on DVD/VHS/youtube/Netflix?
« Reply #3090 on: March 15, 2020, 12:29:59 AM »
Just finished up Season 3 of Castlevania. It ultimately amounts to a lot of Season 4 table-setting, but it's EXTREMELY entertaining table-setting, with plenty of intrigue, strong characters, and lots and lots of creepiness.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6503
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #3091 on: March 20, 2020, 08:22:07 PM »
I finished the first season of Swamp Thing. Overall I was really impressed. The show looks great, and you can tell they put a decent amount of money into it. The CGI is still spotty at times (especially the bug man in an early episode). But the practical Swamp Thing suit looks great, although his red eyes are too obviously an effect in post. I like that they really went for the horror aspects to this character most of the time. And they didn't skimp on the gore. I will also give the show credit for never shoehorning in the name Swamp Thing. Unfortunately the show does bog itself down with too much drama between way too many human villains. Avery and eventually Woodrow were more than enough. I didn't care about the crooked sheriff or her deputy son, and I definitely didn't care about Avery's wife. The voodoo lady didn't amount to anything but spouting mystical sounding vagueries without actually being helpful or really informative.
It's a shame we won't get a second season. Especially now that Woodrow has finally become The Floronic Man. And we might get more with Blue Devil so he would actually have a point.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 380
« Reply #3092 on: April 06, 2020, 11:27:42 AM »
Almost through season 1 of the "Twilight Zone". While some episodes don't work as well as others, it's amazing how well a 60 year old show holds up and how it suceeds in almost every way that the remakes and copy cats have failed.

Ordered the complete "Night Gallery" series on DVD from Amazon. Haven't seen "Night Gallery" in a long time and I'm sure I've never seen all of the episodes. Serling didn't have the same level of control over "Night Gallery" that he did on "Twilight Zone" so interested to see how it compares.

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 532
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #3093 on: April 06, 2020, 06:37:58 PM »
That explains so much about Night Gallery. I couldn't figure out how Sterling could fall from such heights as The Twilight Zone. I still stand by my opinion that Black Mirror is the closest to the original series than anything under the Twilight Zone name since (and there's a *lot*).

Watched McMillion$ on HBO. It's about how the security guy who stole all the winning pieces and gave them to friends and family. I don't care for mob tv shows/movies, but it definitely fits the genre. Really sad, because it ruined *everyone's* lives several times over. Just wish it could've been half the length. 

About to finish Tiger King tonight. Not since Making A Murderer have I seen a series that I was like "WHAT THE F***!?!?" every 10mins. Just when I think "That's gonna be the craziest part of *this* episode," it never is.

Online The Lurker

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 5342
« Reply #3094 on: April 06, 2020, 06:48:20 PM »
I need to check out the newer Twilight Zone if I ever get a chance.  I think they're releasing a new season at some point.

Offline Russoguru

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1033
  • Thank you, sweet Rabbit!
« Reply #3095 on: April 07, 2020, 02:52:59 AM »
Tiger King on Netflix is quite a peculiar brand of show. It's a hybrid reality/documentary/I don't know WTF kind of show. My friend Kat got me into it and honestly? I think it's done a lot to weaken my faith in humanity even more so.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #3096 on: April 07, 2020, 03:48:37 PM »
Recently watched season 3 of Castlevania.  Still enjoying it and the fact that Warren Ellis is still writing it helps a lot for me.  Though Alucard's arc, bleak as it is, feels more like its there to keep checking in on him.

Offline Russoguru

« Reply #3097 on: April 07, 2020, 08:04:45 PM »
I'm watching The new season of MST3K with Jonah and startting Felicia Day and Patton Oswalt. Goddamn that Felicia day is a little hottie. She is so fucking cute.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #3098 on: April 11, 2020, 11:08:03 AM »
I tried watching HOLLISTON. Wow that was painfully bad! I only made it halfway through the first episode before I couldn't take it anymore and had to turn it off. Just the worst kind of awkward scripted dialog, overdone canned laughtrack, bad acting.

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 532
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #3099 on: April 14, 2020, 10:06:29 AM »
Watched Chernobyl, because my HBO trial ends at the end of April. I remember it got huge critical acclaim when it came out, and George RR Martin said it should've won the Emmy over Game of Thrones. And only being 5 eps, I figured I better watch now.

Yep, it's really great. As a child of the 80s, I only knew about it as this ginormous disaster, a go-to reference for disasters, and ultimately just as a punchline for some major disaster. I'm happy to say my appreciation for all those affected and the heroes who fought to contain it knowing they would die horrible deaths (and those who didn't) has grown ten-fold. It actually saddens me about how real it was to those experiencing it, and even more frustrating from the scientists who tried to speak out against it only for their government to do everything in its power to qualm any negativity revolving around the incident even if it meant making things incredibly worse for everyone. I also really appreciate how I have a much more in-depth understanding of what exactly went wrong and why. The last episode's court room scene is up there with the finale of Oliver Stone's JFK (one of my Top 3 favorite films ever).

The performances are stellar. The three main leads carry the weight incredibly well. The production value is sky-high. I got lost in so much of the production design. It must've been a nightmare creating this huge world of 1980s rural/urban Russia. And it all looks pitch perfect. They had to have spent a LOT on this mini-series, because it doesn't look like they ever really held back on much. Only real problem I had was this side-story of a young soldier tasked with killing wildlife/pets. It takes up the bulk of a couple episodes and felt like padding a lot of times. Not a big complaint. Just wish they cut that part a little shorter.

It's absolutely NOT the best time to be watching this. When our government is following the same mistakes during this global pandemic, it's aggravatingly prophetic and will not make anyone happier than the state we're in. If it were released now, people would absolutely believe it was made in response to our current situation. Next up on HBO... the Watchmen tv show. Hopefully it's a little happier.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 380
« Reply #3100 on: April 14, 2020, 10:14:08 AM »
Watchmen really great, but not really happier.

Offline Russoguru

« Reply #3101 on: April 15, 2020, 07:20:25 PM »
I'm watching some more MST3K the newer series on Netflix and God dammit some of these celebrity cameos are absolutely awesome... especially the one in the episode "Avalanche"...

I got nostalgic for the old Heathcliff cartoons and they were free for streaming on Amazon prime through an App called Happykids.tv . Very nice to watch those old cartoons again, there's a certain quality about the stuff you loved as a kid. Also, Heathcliff is legitimately funny, and it really helps that Mel Blanc did the voice of Heathcliff.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #3102 on: April 17, 2020, 11:52:12 AM »
Just a heads up. I saw that SPACED is available for free (with ads) on Amazon Prime.
It's a British sitcom starring Simon Pegg and Nick Frost, directed by Edgar Wright. It's hilarious.
I have it on DVD so I'll watch it on those. But for anyone who hasn't seen it yet I highly recommend it.

Offline Russoguru

« Reply #3103 on: April 17, 2020, 02:27:03 PM »
I have finally been watching Stranger Things. It's... alright so far. I think I'll have to wait until the end of this first season to reserve judgement because there is a LOT happening in this series.

Offline CJones

• Liked: 1096
  • My name is RaphaĆ«l Ambrosius Costeau
« Reply #3104 on: April 18, 2020, 01:40:30 PM »
Watched Chernobyl, because my HBO trial ends at the end of April. I remember it got huge critical acclaim when it came out, and George RR Martin said it should've won the Emmy over Game of Thrones. And only being 5 eps, I figured I better watch now.

"Why worry about something that's not going to happen?" - Prophetic considering the COVID-19 pandemic in the US.

Chernobyl absolutely should have won over Game of Thrones. If you haven't already, check out the Chernobyl podcast with Craig Mazin and Peter Segal (of Wait Wait Don't Tell Me) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUeHPCYtWYQ. It's astounding just how much of what's in the miniseries actually happened. That old woman with the cow was a real person, and she still lives in the exclusion zone.