Author Topic: What's the last Television show you watched on DVD/VHS/youtube/Netflix?  (Read 326207 times)

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 746
  • 5000 deaths and counting
Re: What's the last Television show you watched on DVD/VHS/youtube/Netflix?
« Reply #2985 on: September 15, 2019, 04:09:08 AM »
Just binged the first season of Disenchantment to prepare for the next season this Friday. I liked it the first time, but I liked it a lot more this time. It's not the funniest of Groening's shows, but the plot is lots of fun.

Yeah, I never got why so many people dislike Disenchantment. I thought it was great, and am looking forward to season 2.

Online Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2654
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #2986 on: September 15, 2019, 06:38:00 PM »
I thought it just felt like a weaker version of Futurama. It was just fine. The 'love' story felt really shoehorned in and unnecessary too.
FINE

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5900
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #2987 on: September 15, 2019, 07:08:49 PM »
I thought it just felt like a weaker version of Futurama. It was just fine. The 'love' story felt really shoehorned in and unnecessary too.
That was how I felt too. Luci in paticular felt like a watered down Bender. And when an actual demon character isn't as nefarious as a robot, that's some poor writing.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #2988 on: September 21, 2019, 09:15:39 AM »
I've binged The Good Place through season 3, and am now anxiously waiting for season 4 to start.
I liked it all, but I think my favorite was season 2. Ted Dansen is always a highlight, but
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I identify with Chidi more than I would like to, in his tendency to overthink things.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3212
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #2989 on: September 23, 2019, 07:52:43 AM »
Season 1 Part 2 of Disenchantment is darned good. We're approaching really-good-episode-of-Futurama or perhaps Simpsons-Season-9 levels of goodness. The show is figuring itself out, fleshing out the characters and the universe, and rounding off some of the edges. I'm doing a lot more laughing and the stories are really compelling.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #2990 on: September 23, 2019, 08:04:22 AM »
Season 1 Part 2 of Disenchantment is darned good. We're approaching really-good-episode-of-Futurama or perhaps Simpsons-Season-9 levels of goodness. The show is figuring itself out, fleshing out the characters and the universe, and rounding off some of the edges. I'm doing a lot more laughing and the stories are really compelling.
Season 1 part 2? Or do you mean the just released Season 2?

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3212
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #2991 on: September 23, 2019, 08:22:19 AM »
The just released season 2 is actually season 1 part 2, but only half of the websites talking about it seem to realize that. The whole concept of a season has been becoming more and more arbitrary in the age of streaming media. But yeah, these 2 batches of 10 episodes released over a year apart are both supposed to be Season 1.

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2666
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2992 on: September 23, 2019, 08:59:49 AM »
This probably should go in the last movie watched thread but it's a documentary about making the show, and it's on Netflix, so:

The Crystal Calls: Making The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance

The interviews get a bit repetitive, quite repetitive actually, but they are short clips in between the good stuff, and that is all the behind the scenes footage of the puppeteers doing their thing.

I had assumed the Lore the rock character was CG, but it was a puppet, 3 people in blue suits were behind it moving the "rocks" with blue sticks and were then digitally removed.  I was also amazed to see matte paintings for backgrounds, I figured all of that would be green screen.

On a side note, I've watched the first 5 episodes of season 2 of Disenchantment and am having the opposite reaction as Pak, not liking it as much as the first season, no real laughs, only a few chuckles during the Elfo in heaven stuff, hope it picks up significantly for the last 5 episodes.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #2993 on: September 26, 2019, 07:28:30 PM »
I watched the first episode of the new Creepshow on SHUDDER. It's really good! Both halves of the first episode are significant'y different from each other so it has variety, and they are both suitably well directed and creepy. The effects in the first half Gray Matter are a standout. And that's the one with the big guest stars, Adrienne Barbeau and Tobin Bell, who are both excellent, particularly Barbeau. But even the child acting in both episodes is impressive.
The only criticism I have is that the "host" is pretty lame. The appearance of it is good in that it evokes the classic hosts of the Tales From the Crypt type magazines, but it has very little articulation. It doesn't really talk, and is in the show very little, so it is definitely distinct from The Cryptkeeper. But that is still the most obvious comparison, and unlike him this host is just a guy in a mask or something and it moves really clunky.

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2666
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2994 on: October 02, 2019, 07:11:32 PM »
Finished the 2nd season or 1B season or whatever they call it of Disenchantment.  Liked the last five a lot more than the first 5, at least I had a few good laughs.

Also watched season 2 of Hold The Sunset, pretty much exactly the same level of comedy as season 1, it's more charming than funny I guess, a few chuckles per episode. 

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #2995 on: October 19, 2019, 06:43:15 PM »
I watched the first episode of Father Ted. Um...why does this have such a following?! Does it get MUCH better later on? Because this episode was just lame.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 581
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #2996 on: October 19, 2019, 07:03:45 PM »
Watched the most recent episode of The Good Place. I'm liking where this last season is going. I've noticed though it's focusing a little more on story than on comedy... which is fine because there's still plenty of funny moments on the show and my head is going crazy because my head is wondering how the hell this could be sorted out. I however love this show so much I refuse to speculate because right now I believe speculating can in some ways be detrimental to the enjoyment of certain things... *cough* Last Jedi.

Online Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2654
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #2997 on: October 19, 2019, 11:40:55 PM »
I watched the first episode of Father Ted. Um...why does this have such a following?! Does it get MUCH better later on? Because this episode was just lame.

No, it's just awful
FINE