Author Topic: What's the last Television show you watched on DVD/VHS/youtube/Netflix?  (Read 322505 times)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5708
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
Re: What's the last Television show you watched on DVD/VHS/youtube/Netflix?
« Reply #2970 on: August 22, 2019, 08:16:26 PM »
I watched the first episode of NOS4A2 and...I don't get why it's supposed to be special. Didn't seem that impressive to me. Does it get better in later episodes?

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #2971 on: August 27, 2019, 04:28:24 PM »
I am watching more of the What We Do In The Shadows show, and it is very very good. In particular, Nandor's "fight" with the werewolf in episode three was hysterical.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2638
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #2972 on: August 27, 2019, 05:10:36 PM »
I am watching more of the What We Do In The Shadows show, and it is very very good. In particular, Nandor's "fight" with the werewolf in episode three was hysterical.

We watched and loved the first ep last night
FINE

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2641
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2973 on: August 27, 2019, 07:37:29 PM »
The Good Place season 3 is now on Netflix. 

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 562
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #2974 on: August 27, 2019, 09:02:40 PM »
Speaking of which, I went back onto Amazon prime and started watching The Good Place from the beginning. That show is sooooo rewatchable, which I think is going to be one of its most endearing qualities as more and more people discover it.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #2975 on: September 01, 2019, 09:00:52 PM »
I finally started watching The Good Place. It is very funny, and I can understand why it had such an immediate fanbase.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #2976 on: September 03, 2019, 06:38:46 AM »
Two episodes in on the new Dark Crystal show. It's very visually impressive. And the Skeksis are the best part, just like in the movie.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2641
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2977 on: September 04, 2019, 03:30:28 PM »
About half way through Victoria season 3.  It's on Amazon Prime now.  Not liking it quite as much as the first 2 seasons, too much scheming and not enough likeable characters.  Also the show is far more fictional now, only loosely based on real events.  But it's still good enough to keep watching.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5133
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #2978 on: September 04, 2019, 03:39:34 PM »
When forward with more Teen Titans Go and after season one it becomes much more consistently funny.  "Two Bumble Bees and a Wasp" is a great, weird episode of TV.

Offline stethacantus

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #2979 on: September 05, 2019, 09:28:22 AM »
I bought Witchblade: The Complete Series because I was collecting superhero movies, and it was the only way to get the TNT Witchblade telemovie. I bought Black Scorpion: The Complete Series because I needed to get the two Black Scorpion HBO films, which were released separate, but were both OOP and expensive to buy on Amazon. So it was off to eBay to look for a deal, where someone was selling the two films along with the series as a set. Not much of a problem as I planned to collect live action superhero television series once I had every existing superhero film. This summer I watched both, completing watching them this week in advance of the Fall Season beginning.

Both series have a lot in common. Both had female leads, both of who were police detectives. Both series were low budget cable shows from 2001. Both pick up cult followings. But that's where they both part ways.

Witchblade is based on the Top Cow comic book of the same name. In the book, detective Sara Pezzini comes into possession of The Witchblade, an ancient bracelet that transforms her into a scantly clad warrior with mystical powers, super strength, and a nasty arm blade as a weapon that can cut through anything.  The character seemed to be created specifically so Top Cow could have a comic book with a pinup girl on the cover each month, but did pick up a fanbase.

Of course any show produced for TNT didn't have the budget to replicate what was happening in the comic book, which was a lot of battles using magic. In fact, they barely had the budget for Sara to wield the Witchblade itself.  It only materializes in less than half the episodes. Most of the bad guys are captured using detective work and police issued weapons. And as for bad guys, almost every one is a common hood. To compensate for the lack of superhero battles, the series gives Sara some sort of ESP abilities which allows her to see cryptic images that when deciphered, will help her sole case. Also, in the first season she can see the ghost of her dead partner Danny Woo, who was shot to death in the pilot film. For some reason Danny can't give Sara straight answers about the crime she is solving, or exact what the Witchblade is.

Another major difference, in the television series is Sara's costume. Instead of the almost not there warrior outfit from the comic book, the TNT series has Sara still in her regular clothes when the Witchblade materializes.

This may all sound like the show is terrible, but it isn't. Despite the writers having to work their way around the budget limitations, it is a very decent series. Although with one major plot flaw..... In the last episode of season 1, almost everyone in the cast is killed off. Sara herself is mortally wounded. But then she realizes the Witchblade has the power to reverse time, which sends her all the way back to the day her partner Danny was killed. Although Sara can no longer remember what happened ( or is going to happen ) in the past six months, she does get a gut feeling not to attempt to arrest the gang members who would have shot Danny. So basically, he is alive in season 2, and everything from season 1 is forgotten. It's an alternate time line. However, if that was the case, then why isn't Sara being assigned the same murderer cases she solved in the first season? Why is it completely forgotten about another fellow cop being an undercover FBI agent investigating corruption within the force.  Why was the secret organization that was watching Sara throughout the first season completely missing in the second season? This all sort of reminds me of the 1978 Superman film. Sure, I get how flying around the planet really fast reversed time. But how come when he showed up at Lois' car, the ground was no longer cracking open and crushing it? How did reversing time stop that from happening? BTW, both the Superman films and the series Witchblade were produced by Warner Bros, so that studio really sucks at alternate time line continuity.

Witchblade may have been enjoyable despite it's limited budget, but Black Scorpion wasn't. Which is a shame, because Roger Corman at least did include the best elements of past superhero shows. Namely a rogues gallery of supervillains for Black Scorpion to fight.

I have to begin this review with some WTF casting. Scott Valentine plays detective Steve Rafferty, a police detective determined to arrest the vigilante Black Scorpion, who is also the partner of detective Darcy Walker, who is both secretly Black Scorpion, but is also secretly in love with Steve. Scott Valentine is the only recognizable name among the regular cast members. Waaaaaay back in the mid 80s he was one of televisions biggest stars, as the character Nick Moore on the series Family Ties. Originally brought in for a few episodes as Justine Bateman's boyfriend, the character became so popular that the producers decided to give him a spin-off series called The Art Of Being Nick, which despite the pilot episode getting great ratings, the executives at NBC came to their senses and decided they didn't want the popular Nick character written out of Family Ties. Certainly not when there was a possibility Michael J Fox would leave the show for a movie career once his contract was up. Which meant the Nick Moore character vanished when Family Ties ended, along with Scott Valentine's career.

But the WTF casting doesn't come from landing a former 80s heartthrob for one of the leads. But why Corman went to all the trouble of creating a new character for Valentine. Basically the Steve Rafferty character replaced the detective Michael Ruso character from the movies, who was also Darcy's partner, who she also had a secret crush on, and who was also determined to arrest Black Scorpion. In other words, the same type of character. Which would have made sense if the reason for bringing in a new but similar character was to explain why the actor who played Russo was no longer on the show instead of recasting the same role. The only problem was that almost all the other characters were recast as well. For example, Joan Severance played Darcy/Black Scorpion in the movies while Michelle Lintel played her in the series. Her sidekick Argyle was played by Garrett Morris in the movies, but an actor called B.T. in the series. The police chief, recast. Argyle's girlfriend Tender Lovin', recast. Mayor Worth, recast. With a mostly new cast, why couldn't they just recast Russo. Who, by the way, was played by two different actors in the two Black Scorpion movies.

Meanwhile the casting of the guest villains was the best thing about the show, which included Adam West, Frank Gorshin, Lou Ferrigno, Julie McCullough, David Lander, Soupy Sales, Alison Armitage and Martin Kove. What a shame very little thought went into creating and naming the villains. And even less thought into designing their costumes. And for some reason most of the villains were law abiding citizen who suddenly turns evil the moment they have an accident that gives them powers. In fact, some are unreasonably evil.

Really, there was nothing good about this series. It had the worst theme music of any superhero series or movie. The writing was terrible. That would include the worst collection of puns ever, because everyone can't get through an episode without rattling off a pun. The worst puns are given to Black Scorpion herself. The action? Well, there are a few nicely choreographed fights. But then a lot of poorly choreographed and shot fight scenes. The directors can't seem to make up their mind how skilled a fighter Black Scorpion is. In one scene she has the skills of Bruce Lee, the next she is getting her ass kicked by a single henchman. Some chase footage with the Scorpion Mobile being chased by police cars was shot, and reused, and reused, and reused, and reused, and reused again until you are sick of watching the same cop car flip over the same parked car for the 100th time. The rest of the action is stock footage from movies.

The frustrating thing is that Roger Corman was the first producer  since the 1966 Batman series to get what a live action superhero series should have. Every superhero show that followed Batman had the hero fighting the same average criminals that Barnaby Jones was fighting. Gadgets and secret lairs were kept at a minimum. The 90s Flash series did introduce supervillains, but only midway through the first season after fans complained, and when the show was already near cancellation and being shifted around the schedule during March Madness. Black Scorpion was exactly what a superhero series should be. Except that Corman didn't want to spend any money on it and rushed out a shoddy production, as usual.

I also finished watching The Marx Brothers Television Collection. The Marx Brothers only appeared together on Television once, when Groucho made an uncredited cameo in a half hour telefilm starring Harpo and Chico. Otherwise their television appearances we're solo, the most notable being Groucho's run as the host of You Bet Your Life. This set was supposed to have all their surviving television appearances. But there are a few things missing. The surviving You Bet Your Life episodes are in a different collection. It's also missing Groucho's appearance on I Dream of Jeanie, and perhaps most notably, Harpo's appearance on I Love Lucy, both which definitely still exist.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 09:30:33 AM by stethacantus »

Offline Jesse412

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 68
  • Old Curmudgeon
    • My deviantART Gallery
« Reply #2980 on: September 13, 2019, 07:55:50 AM »
Watching The Haunting of Hill House on Netflix and am mostly enjoying it.  Some of the early pacing feels uneven but for the most part it's interesting.  Like the 1963 film for me it's walking the line of, are there actually ghosts, or is this mental illness, or both.  The Robert Wise film very much left me wanting more and this based on the same source material brings me back there.  I'm only about half way through this series but am looking forward to the rest of the first season.
"It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #2981 on: September 13, 2019, 09:47:25 AM »
I finished Dark Crystal Age Of Resistance yesterday. Overall it is very good. The best parts are the visuals and the puppetry. While it certainly has more story than the original movie, because it's a prequel, and because the Gelflings are often difficult to tell apart and remember what is going on with all of them, I didn't find the story as engaging as I wish I did. It picks up in the second half, especially after they meet The Heretic (who is hilarious).
I would definitely recommend it. And you don't have to have seen the movie to see this.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #2982 on: September 13, 2019, 09:56:12 AM »
I finished What We Do In The Shadows last week. This was really really funny. I liked what they were doing with Guillermo's character arc, I just wished this season had ended with him further along on it rather than just an awkward status quo.

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 733
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #2983 on: September 14, 2019, 08:57:01 PM »
I've been binge watching The Expanse now that it's on Amazon. Just started season 3. I appreciate the fact that this show approximates real physics, unlike some other Space Operas. I'm looking at you Star Trek and Star Wars.

Online Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3177
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #2984 on: September 15, 2019, 12:06:20 AM »
Just binged the first season of Disenchantment to prepare for the next season this Friday. I liked it the first time, but I liked it a lot more this time. It's not the funniest of Groening's shows, but the plot is lots of fun.