Author Topic: What's the last Television show you watched on DVD/VHS/youtube/Netflix?  (Read 316147 times)

Online stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 364
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
Re: What's the last Television show you watched on DVD/VHS/youtube/Netflix?
« Reply #2910 on: May 31, 2019, 06:47:32 AM »
Watched Perfect Bid: The Contestant Who Knew Too Much on Netflix about a guy who was really, really good at The Price Is Right. There are a lot of great game show scandal stories. This... is just ok. And boy is it padded out to 70mins. Could've been 10mins (30 max). Definitely interesting parts, especially having the guy talk through his experiences of the game show moments juxtaposed to the actual footage. I feel like I would've enjoyed reading the Wikipedia article on this just as much.

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6821
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #2911 on: May 31, 2019, 06:52:56 AM »
Watched Perfect Bid: The Contestant Who Knew Too Much on Netflix about a guy who was really, really good at The Price Is Right. There are a lot of great game show scandal stories. This... is just ok. And boy is it padded out to 70mins. Could've been 10mins (30 max). Definitely interesting parts, especially having the guy talk through his experiences of the game show moments juxtaposed to the actual footage. I feel like I would've enjoyed reading the Wikipedia article on this just as much.

wasn't that a how i met your mother episode?
dF = 0
d*F = J

Online CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 713
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #2912 on: May 31, 2019, 12:28:39 PM »
Good Omens

Just came out today, on Amazon Prime. 6 episodes, at about an hour each. I'm partway through episode 2. It is very true to the book, possibly too much so. Much of it is lifted, verbatim, from the book. This makes it sound a little bit stilted to hear people actually saying. It's still good though.

Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett had been trying to get this made for years. In an interview, Gaiman said that after Terry Pratchett died, he had decided he didn't want to make it without him. But then he received a letter that Pratchett had written, to be delivered upon his death, asking Gaiman to make sure it got made. Gaiman himself is the show runner, which explains why it is so true to the book and not just someone else's adaptation. 

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2593
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2913 on: May 31, 2019, 01:59:07 PM »
Good Omens

Just came out today, on Amazon Prime. 6 episodes, at about an hour each. I'm partway through episode 2. It is very true to the book, possibly too much so. Much of it is lifted, verbatim, from the book. This makes it sound a little bit stilted to hear people actually saying.

I watched it all last evening, I found episodes 4 and 5 hard to get through without hitting FF a few times, mostly whenever the present day witch finder was on screen I found it got too tedious to watch, it's too bad because Michael McKean is normally fantastic, here he's just so bland, only getting a couple of good jokes.

I'll have to get the book on my Kindle and read it sometime.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1479
« Reply #2914 on: May 31, 2019, 02:12:22 PM »
Good Omens

Just came out today, on Amazon Prime. 6 episodes, at about an hour each. I'm partway through episode 2. It is very true to the book, possibly too much so. Much of it is lifted, verbatim, from the book. This makes it sound a little bit stilted to hear people actually saying.

I watched it all last evening, I found episodes 4 and 5 hard to get through without hitting FF a few times, mostly whenever the present day witch finder was on screen I found it got too tedious to watch, it's too bad because Michael McKean is normally fantastic, here he's just so bland, only getting a couple of good jokes.

I'll have to get the book on my Kindle and read it sometime.

I remember enjoying the book, but it was so long ago that I can't remember much about it.  That was the first Terry Pratchett or Neil Gaiman book I read.  Then I went on to read some of there solo works.  I still read Pratchett to this day, but I can't get into Gaiman.  So I think I probably just enjoyed Pratchett. 

I doubt I'd ever watch the series on my own, but my sister wants to watch it, so we're going to give it a watch when she comes to visit in a few weeks.  Both your impressions are about what I expected, but my sister will probably still like it.  She's easy to please.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2915 on: May 31, 2019, 02:27:53 PM »
I still read Pratchett to this day, but I can't get into Gaiman.  So I think I probably just enjoyed Pratchett. 

I've not read any books by Gaiman, but have liked all the shows and movies I've seen that were written or adpated by him.

Reading some interviews and reviews it does seem like he felt bound to be faithful to the book, instead of doing his own adaptation of it, so that would explain the issues with pacing.

I noticed some nods to Douglas Adams in the mini-series, I know Gaiman is a big fan.

Online CJones

« Reply #2916 on: June 01, 2019, 12:51:13 PM »
Okay, I finished Good Omens. I would say that I liked it, up until the last episode. I felt that the showdown between the Riders and the Them was very anti-climactic. And they never really explained, or even implied, the relationship between the two. Brian was a slob, Wendsleydale was destined to be a businessman and Pepper was angry, thus they corresponded to Pollution, Famine and War respectively. Also, that whole business about Aziraphale and Crowley being put on trial and switching places; none of that was in the book. I got a distinct Return of the King vibe, in that the story was over, but it just kept going for another 20 minutes. 

There was one thing added that I did like though, and that was Aziraphale giving Crowley the holy water. AFAI remember, the book never explains how he got it.

Oh, and I liked Gabriel. The book tended to be stacked more towards the hell side, with Hastur and Ligur being recurring characters, but no one on the heaven side to balance them out.

Online CJones

« Reply #2917 on: June 01, 2019, 01:11:24 PM »
I still read Pratchett to this day, but I can't get into Gaiman.  So I think I probably just enjoyed Pratchett. 

I've not read any books by Gaiman, but have liked all the shows and movies I've seen that were written or adpated by him.

Reading some interviews and reviews it does seem like he felt bound to be faithful to the book, instead of doing his own adaptation of it, so that would explain the issues with pacing.

I noticed some nods to Douglas Adams in the mini-series, I know Gaiman is a big fan.

I didn't notice anything that specifically referenced Douglas Adams, but if you read any of the Discworld books, it's immediately apparent that Terry Pratchett's writing style is very similar to Adams. I got the impression, when first reading Good Omens, that Neil Gaiman probably came up with the ideas and Terry Pratchett did most of the actual writing.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2918 on: June 01, 2019, 01:34:13 PM »

I didn't notice anything that specifically referenced Douglas Adams, but if you read any of the Discworld books, it's immediately apparent that Terry Pratchett's writing style is very similar to Adams. I got the impression, when first reading Good Omens, that Neil Gaiman probably came up with the ideas and Terry Pratchett did most of the actual writing.

There were one or 2 quips I think by Crowley that seemed more Hitchhikers Guide than Discworld to me.  But I've only read about half a dozen of the Discworld books.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 518
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #2919 on: June 02, 2019, 01:14:34 PM »
I too just finished the first season of Good Omens. I think I liked it better than CJones did. Maybe it's because I loved the use of about half a dozen Queen songs in that show. I thought it was pretty good. David Tennant is always a delight and honestly, I did NOT recognize that one guy as Michael Mckean until the last episode. All of a sudden I was like... oh my God that's Michael Mckean. Yeah, I saw his name in the credits but for a while I thought it was a different Michael Mckean.

Online CJones

« Reply #2920 on: June 02, 2019, 01:42:50 PM »
I too just finished the first season of Good Omens. I think I liked it better than CJones did. Maybe it's because I loved the use of about half a dozen Queen songs in that show.

That's actually a direct reference to the book.  “All tapes left in a car for more than about a fortnight metamorphose into Best of Queen albums.” I liked how they pulled that off without explicitly stating it.

I did NOT recognize that one guy as Michael Mckean until the last episode. All of a sudden I was like... oh my God that's Michael Mckean. Yeah, I saw his name in the credits but for a while I thought it was a different Michael Mckean.

Shadwell in the book was a lot more, shall we say, Scottish. They did reference some of his eccentricities, but they didn't include one of my favorite lines:  “Even the pious Scots, locked throughout history in a long-drawn-out battle with their arch-enemies the Scots, managed a few burnings to while away the long winter evenings.”

I have read this book way too many times :-[

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #2921 on: June 02, 2019, 03:36:16 PM »
I also thought some of the appearances of antiquated technology in places was interesting. It was amazing to see 8 tracks in Crowley's old car and his answering machine from 1984 that he still uses I guess to trap Demon Souls.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2922 on: June 02, 2019, 05:34:11 PM »
That's actually a direct reference to the book.  “All tapes left in a car for more than about a fortnight metamorphose into Best of Queen albums.” I liked how they pulled that off without explicitly stating it.

That's awesome, I had read some reviews with people complaining about too much Queen music in the series, not only is that impossible, it shows the reviewer didn't know the book.

Just got out my vinyl copy of News Of The World and am playing it now.  I hadn't taken it out of it's sleeve in probably 30 years, was surprised that it has no scratches on it and it's playing very clean, considering I got it when it was released in 77, most of the other albums I got when I was that young are not in as good shape.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #2923 on: June 02, 2019, 05:53:17 PM »
That's awesome, I had read some reviews with people complaining about too much Queen music in the series, not only is that impossible, it shows the reviewer didn't know the book.
I think I made this clear in other threads, but I effing love Queen. The more Queen, the better.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2924 on: June 04, 2019, 01:43:29 PM »
Tried watching some episodes of that Historical Roasts show on Netflix, I normally don't find roasts all that funny but these are just terrible, not funny at all.