Author Topic: What's the last Television show you watched on DVD/VHS/youtube/Netflix?  (Read 305722 times)

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 240
Re: What's the last Television show you watched on DVD/VHS/youtube/Netflix?
« Reply #2655 on: August 21, 2018, 06:28:04 PM »
The wife started watching "Carnival Eats' on the Cooking channel. Has had me watch a couple of episodes. Kind of repetitive-even for a cooking show- in that it mostly features impracticle deep fried cooking, but I made one thing I saw on an episode- sort of- chicken armadillos eggs- chicken breasts pounded flat, wrapped around fresh jalapenos stuffed with string cheese, wrapped in bacon, smoked, and then deep fried. I smoked but didn't deep fry. Good, but probably would have been better deep fried.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4901
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #2656 on: August 22, 2018, 04:59:40 PM »
I just finished season one of Lemony Snicket's a Series of Unfortunate Events. I wish I liked the show more. It's not bad, but it also feels like it's lacking something that makes it more than just OK. I like the tone that it is going for, being a tongue and cheek black comedy for kids that teaches new vocab in between murders and is basically a celebration of intelligence, as well as a parody of kids detective and Dickensian/Gothic melodrama. But most of the jokes don't land well enough for me, and while the show is definitely swinging for the fences in terms of trying to be stylish (specifically in a Tim Burton sort of way) it's largely not as impressive as I'd like it to be. That said, it keeps being just good and interesting enough to keep me watching.

I will say that both parts of the season one finale, "The Miserable Mill", had REALLY strong endings. Though most of the ending of the first part was sort of predictable in the classic "all is lost" sort of way, it also has a genuinely good twist that it's been building since the first episode and took me by genuine and complete surprise, as well as retroactively fixing something in the narrative I didn't care for. And in the second act, well, it ends with a musical number I liked. Certainly more than the theme song, which is half way to being really good also half-way not. Like the tone as a whole, it is aiming for something that is totally in my wheelhouse but it doesn't quite come together.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 240
« Reply #2657 on: August 24, 2018, 05:19:46 PM »
One Last Shot
Short black and white film that led to the first black and white Trailer Park Boys movie that led to the series. Picked up by Netflix today. Ummmm...not at all what I was expecting. The whole story is about the Rick and Julian characters (really different characters in name and background- no trailer park- but some of the same traits that led to the TPB characters- and Mr. Lahey is the drunk manager of a pet store where the Julian character works) realizing
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Not even sure if it was supposed to be dry comedy or drama.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 05:23:33 PM by wihogfan »

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2529
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2658 on: August 27, 2018, 08:01:43 PM »
Victoria season 2 is now on Amazon Prime.  Watched all of it in 3 days. 

While I thought season one of Victoria was not as good as any of The Crown season 2 is on par with it.

They do take way more liberties with history than The Crown. Where The Crown might make things that were rumored to happen seem like true history, Victoria is adding fictional events into the lives of real historical figures just for the sake of drama.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 431
  • "He's never fought me twice!"
« Reply #2659 on: August 30, 2018, 03:37:14 PM »
Okay so I got the first season of The Good Place on Amazon VOD last night and I already binge-watched the whole season. Now I'm interested in season 2 of the show. I might just get that and binge watch that as well. It's kind of like a more light-hearted version of Lost, complete with a twist at the end of season 1... and I mean a good twist that I didn't see coming.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #2660 on: August 30, 2018, 04:54:09 PM »
The Good Place is great.  Looking forward to season 2 coming to Netflix.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #2661 on: August 31, 2018, 06:00:24 AM »
Great, but this is the thread for TV shows you've watched recently.  You probably want this.

Offline stansimpson

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 291
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #2662 on: August 31, 2018, 01:41:17 PM »
Great, but this is the thread for TV shows you've watched recently.  You probably want this.

Whoops! Looks like I'm a little rusty. I'll move that over there. Thanks!

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 431
  • "He's never fought me twice!"
« Reply #2663 on: September 02, 2018, 05:30:59 PM »
I just finished watching season 2 of The Good Place. I really like it but I really don't completely understand what's going on but at least I've learned a little bit in the area of ethics.

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 356
« Reply #2664 on: September 02, 2018, 06:57:00 PM »
Watched all 5 seasons of Forged in Fire, enjoyed it, but it has it's quirks. I'm disappointed they seem to have stopped doing the special episodes like 'fan favourites' or bringing the champions back, and they definitely ramp the challenge up too much at times, but it's a fun show.

Offline Jesse412

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 69
  • Old Curmudgeon
    • My deviantART Gallery
« Reply #2665 on: September 03, 2018, 12:46:40 PM »
I just watched the early premiere of Kidding with Jim Carrey on Showtime Xfinity On Demand and really enjoyed it.  It's also available for free on youtube for those interested.  The show is exactly what it looks like in the trailers a quasi Mr. Rogers archetype going through a mental breakdown.  Carrey is charming in the role and while there's a darkness to it there's also a good use of humor.  Not bad at least interesting enough to check out the next episode.
"It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2552
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #2666 on: September 03, 2018, 04:46:09 PM »
I love Gondry and have high hopes for this series.
FINE

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #2667 on: September 03, 2018, 05:56:27 PM »
It's a show I could easily see going either way, but the trailer has me hoping for good things from it.

Offline CJones

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 646
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #2668 on: September 06, 2018, 05:04:00 PM »
I just finished season one of Lemony Snicket's a Series of Unfortunate Events. I wish I liked the show more. It's not bad, but it also feels like it's lacking something that makes it more than just OK. I like the tone that it is going for, being a tongue and cheek black comedy for kids that teaches new vocab in between murders and is basically a celebration of intelligence, as well as a parody of kids detective and Dickensian/Gothic melodrama. But most of the jokes don't land well enough for me, and while the show is definitely swinging for the fences in terms of trying to be stylish (specifically in a Tim Burton sort of way) it's largely not as impressive as I'd like it to be. That said, it keeps being just good and interesting enough to keep me watching.

I tried to watch this, but I just couldn't get into it. I think my main problem is that I just couldn't see Neil Patrick Harris as Count Olaf. I just saw NPH. For whatever faults the movie version had, Jim Carrey was great as Olaf.

Offline CJones

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 646
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #2669 on: September 06, 2018, 05:11:50 PM »
I binge watched all of Disenchantment last night, the new Matt Groening show on Netflix. Most of the reviews I had read tended to range from bad to mediocre, but I actually really liked it. The trailers don't do it justice. One major advantage it has over The Simpsons and Futurama is that it has an actual plot. Now it's going to drive me nuts waiting for season 2.