login

Author Topic: What's the last Television show you watched on DVD/VHS/youtube/Netflix?  (Read 305476 times)

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2527
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Re: What's the last Television show you watched on DVD/VHS/youtube/Netflix?
« Reply #2640 on: August 17, 2018, 07:26:46 PM »
Watched a few episodes of Disenchantment, it's got that Matt Groening feel to it, but so far kind of meh.  It's sort of entertaining but not very funny.  I'll give it a few more episodes to see if it gets better.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 430
  • "He's never fought me twice!"
« Reply #2641 on: August 17, 2018, 10:25:03 PM »
Been watching Justice League season 2 tonight through Amazon VOD on my PS3. About six years ago somebody informed me how great the series is and I've been finding that it's crazy re-watchable and a lot of fun(I'm also curious as to why I hadn't come across this show before then). What's also awesome is the top tier voice talent on the show. That kind of thing can raise an animated series to something that's on a whole new level. 

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2550
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #2642 on: August 18, 2018, 01:02:14 AM »
Watched a few episodes of Disenchantment, it's got that Matt Groening feel to it, but so far kind of meh.  It's sort of entertaining but not very funny.  I'll give it a few more episodes to see if it gets better.

I haven’t tried it yet, but both Simpsons and Futurama found their groove as they went too. Unfortunately both shows outstayed their welcome for me, so I’m not as enthusiastic about this show as I would have been some time ago.
FINE

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2976
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #2643 on: August 18, 2018, 01:29:46 AM »
I'm only an episode in. I see some potential. It's got that Groening snappy-dialogue and snarky sense of humor for sure.

Offline Iron Curtain

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 130
    • My website full o' stuff.
« Reply #2644 on: August 18, 2018, 06:25:35 AM »
So far, I found most of Disenchantment to be not funny, but when the jokes land, they nail the perfect landing and I start cracking up. The episode where I laughed the most so far was Faster Princess! Kill! Kill!, and I'm only five episodes in. As far as I'm concerned, any Matt Groening cartoon is worth watching, at least for the first eight seasons.

I haven’t tried it yet, but both Simpsons and Futurama found their groove as they went too. Unfortunately both shows outstayed their welcome for me, so I’m not as enthusiastic about this show as I would have been some time ago.

At least Futurama knew when it was overstaying its welcome, so when it went out, it ended gracefully. I sort of compare Futurama to the original run of MST3K in that both shows were cancelled twice on two different networks and when it got cancelled a second time, it went out with a bang.

Offline NRRork

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 88
    • Yep, I have a deviantART gallery. But it's pretty cheerful drawings-- no angsty poems or black-and-white photos of wooden chairs.
« Reply #2645 on: August 18, 2018, 04:32:35 PM »
I really like the look and the idea. And I LOVE the send-up they do on that "rebellious princess" trope by having her just be this perpetual fuck-up and borderline alcoholic.

I like that it's pretty much entirely episodic, with only a few callbacks to previous episodes. When I saw the second episode pick up right where the first one left off, I thought "Oh Lord, not more of this serialized shit!" which I REALLY don't think works for comedy (I HATED IT with South Park) and frankly is being overused in general.

But I had the same problem all you guys are saying: I just didn't laugh very much.

A lot like the problem I had with Rick and Morty last season: it was clever, they had good stories, a lot of real thinkers... but I think they got a little too far up their own ass trying to be deep and clever that they neglected to funny. And the FUNNY is what made me religiously tape every episode of the Simpsons as a kid in the 90s, and what made me watch them over and over-- even NOW I'll never get tired of episodes from that era. Futurama and King of the Hill, too, and South Parks that weren't too topical and now dated... and I watched the HELL out seasons 1 and 2 of Rick and Morty to the same extent.

Season 3? I think I've watched it twice... here's a tip for inserting dramatic moments into a show like that: it only works if they viewer was laughing a moment ago. Then the mood whiplash hits you. That's why the end of, say, the Cronenberg episode was such a "WOAH!" moment, but it doesn't work if the whole damn episode is trying to be that right from the start.

Sorry, I went off on a tangent.
I used to have an image here, but Photobucket got cheap about remote linking. I guess I'll have to think of something witty instead. Which I will. Later. It caught me by surprise, in all honesty. It's hard to be clever on command, I mean, YOU try it. Be funny: NOW! See, tough. So, gimme a bit, 'kay?

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2527
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2646 on: August 19, 2018, 07:13:54 AM »
Watched all 10 episodes of Disenchantment. 

Talk about a cliffhanger, yikes...

It is entertaining and amusing, just lacking in jokes with real payoffs.  I think I only laughed out loud a few times.  I'd say if you adjust your thinking about the show and consider it as more of a satirical drama it's more enjoyable.

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #2647 on: August 19, 2018, 03:39:30 PM »
We came in with low expectations, but thought the first two episodes were funny and fun. My main problem is Elfo being in love with Bean. It's very poorly introduced, and just tired before the first episode is even done.

All three of the main characters are pretty much reskinned Futurama characters, and they aren't as interesting as they could be.
FINE

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 356
« Reply #2648 on: August 19, 2018, 07:50:57 PM »
I got addicted to Forged in Fire during my US trip, so I've watched the first two seasons since I got back to NZ.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4897
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #2649 on: August 19, 2018, 07:51:14 PM »
Found my Dad has finally got into Better Call Saul.  It was a bit of a hard sell, since Breaking Bad was too hard for him to watch.  Shows about lies (particularly with cringe inducing scenes) get to him.  But I'm glad he made it to "Pimento", which is a fantastic episode and it looks like he'll keep with it.  That makes me happy (the new season is also really good).

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5534
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #2650 on: August 19, 2018, 07:59:04 PM »
I'm 9 episodes in to Disenchanted and so far I'm not very impressed. It's just not that funny. Princess Bean isn't very likable most of the time, and Luci is just a poor man's Bender.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2976
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #2651 on: August 20, 2018, 03:05:02 PM »
...and Luci is just a poor man's Bender.

It's a tempting comparison, but I find Luci to be a bit more interesting in that where Bender doesn't care about anyone but himself, Luci is actually specifically invested in Bean, even if it's just to cause her to make poor decisions. It's an interesting position for an ally to be in with all kinds of interesting potential narrative payoffs down the line. 5 episodes in, I'm enjoying Disenchantment right now on the same level I was enjoying Futurama back when it was in its first season, which isn't nearly as much as I enjoy the first season now. I have hopes that this show will become retroactively better as I get to know the characters on a deeper level. (Groening's shows have great characters, but it tends to take a while for them to blossom.)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 03:35:22 PM by Pak-Man »

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #2652 on: August 20, 2018, 05:49:25 PM »
...and Luci is just a poor man's Bender.

It's a tempting comparison, but I find Luci to be a bit more interesting in that where Bender doesn't care about anyone but himself, Luci is actually specifically invested in Bean, even if it's just to cause her to make poor decisions. It's an interesting position for an ally to be in with all kinds of interesting potential narrative payoffs down the line. 5 episodes in, I'm enjoying Disenchantment right now on the same level I was enjoying Futurama back when it was in its first season, which isn't nearly as much as I enjoy the first season now. I have hopes that this show will become retroactively better as I get to know the characters on a deeper level. (Groening's shows have great characters, but it tends to take a while for them to blossom.)

Agreed on all of this - I *do* think there are often some strange deadspots where it seems like there should be a joke and there isn't - But on the whole I am finding the show very amusing and surprised that everyone isn't finding it the same, assuming they also enjoy (pre-tanked) Simpsons and Futurama. It actually has made be think about revisiting Futurama for the first time since the revival made me lose interest in it.
FINE

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 430
  • "He's never fought me twice!"
« Reply #2653 on: August 20, 2018, 06:36:48 PM »
I watched another classic episode of The Twilight Zone. This time it's "Will the real Martian please stand up?". A couple of Cops go into a diner looking for... something or someone. A bus pulled over to stop at this diner due to the bad weather and the Bus Driver insists he only had six passengers when there's seven people in the Diner. The worker in the diner said he hasn't had any other customers all day, adding to the mystery. They finally get a call that the bridge is okay to drive on in the snowy weather which leads us to... not one, but TWO excellent twists! Did I also mention this episode was written by Rod Serling himself?

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #2654 on: August 20, 2018, 07:04:37 PM »
I watched another classic episode of The Twilight Zone. This time it's "Will the real Martian please stand up?". A couple of Cops go into a diner looking for... something or someone. A bus pulled over to stop at this diner due to the bad weather and the Bus Driver insists he only had six passengers when there's seven people in the Diner. The worker in the diner said he hasn't had any other customers all day, adding to the mystery. They finally get a call that the bridge is okay to drive on in the snowy weather which leads us to... not one, but TWO excellent twists! Did I also mention this episode was written by Rod Serling himself?

That was one of the episodes my wife and I recent watched - it was great.
FINE