login

Author Topic: Tony Hawk takes us for a "Ride"  (Read 1620 times)

Offline SmilinJackRoss

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 5
    • Heated Seats iRiffs
Tony Hawk takes us for a "Ride"
« on: May 15, 2009, 09:29:22 AM »
Since I'm literally speechless about this, I'll just post the article from Kotaku:

New Tony Hawk Game Has A Freakin' Skateboard Peripheral

As was rumoured, it's been officially revealed that the next Tony Hawk game from Activision - called Tony Hawk: Ride - will be shipping with a giant, hulking skateboard peripheral.

This is either the smartest, or stupidest, thing Activision have ever done.

Not much else was revealed other than the fact the game will be out on 360, PS3 and Wii. Oh, and that it has a giant plastic skateboard peripheral.
Heated Seats iRiffs: Touched by an Angel | Marked for Death | Runaway | Heated Shorts (shorts collection)

Offline Action Batch

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 67
  • Hogwashologist
Re: Tony Hawk takes us for a "Ride"
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 09:36:49 AM »
Who knows? It'll probably be a hit. If (x amount) of years ago, you showed me a Guitar Hero peripheral and told me that full grown adults would play with this thing for hours I wouldn't have believed it.

So yeah, fake skateboard. Great work Activision.

Offline SmilinJackRoss

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 5
    • Heated Seats iRiffs
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 10:42:52 AM »
The big question I have is, how is it going to work?  Are you going to have to learn to do real tricks with the thing?  Because I can see myself kickflipping that thing right through my plasma screen....

And if you don't actually have to kick the skateboard around, then what do you do with it?  Lean one way or the other?

This could be fun (the franchise certainly needed a boost of some sort), but I'm just having trouble picturing how this will work.
Heated Seats iRiffs: Touched by an Angel | Marked for Death | Runaway | Heated Shorts (shorts collection)

Offline Action Batch

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 67
  • Hogwashologist
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 10:50:39 AM »
True, if you can actually (and I use the word loosely) recreate the tricks onscreen to an extent, I don't care how many warnings you put on the board itself, the game box and in game menus,  I see a lot of sprained/broken bones / broken stuff lawsuits on their hands.

Offline Nekrose

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 0
  • I have the cape. I make the fucking woosh noises.
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, 03:11:57 AM »
I can only really see it being used for steering and manuals, which doesn't really interest me. This must be their big gun to stop themselves getting raped by 'skate'.

Offline Minnesota

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 4
  • Twins Territory
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2009, 05:04:49 AM »
Love the Tony Hawk games, I'll buy it.

Doctor Who?

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2009, 09:11:42 AM »
Oh great now if I want to buy the new Tony Hawk game it will cost $200.

Am I the only one who misses the days of the $50 new game and the $20 year old games?

Offline Minnesota

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 4
  • Twins Territory
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2009, 11:28:24 AM »

Am I the only one who misses the days of the $50 new game and the $20 year old games?

I disagree. Online deals and Gamestops have me buying more games at cheaper prices than ever. Where do you shop that you can't find year old games for 20 bucks? At the very least you can get them used. There are more retail / online store options than ever before.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1007
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2009, 12:32:10 PM »

Dude, I remember walking into a department store and seeing Atari cartridges selling for $100. Games are pretty cheap these days.

Offline TeamRAD

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 103
  • RAAAADDDDD!
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2009, 02:12:43 PM »
The big question I have is, how is it going to work?  Are you going to have to learn to do real tricks with the thing?  Because I can see myself kickflipping that thing right through my plasma screen....

Is it wrong to assume it won't work much differently than Sega's Top Skater? That's not a bad thing, either. I must have placed a couple of hundred into that machine to date.

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Einstein