Poll

Did you yawn?

Yes
10 (37%)
No
17 (63%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Author Topic: IMPORTANT SCIENTIFIC EXPERIMENT  (Read 2764 times)

Offline Teaflax

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 1
Re: IMPORTANT SCIENTIFIC EXPERIMENT
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2007, 07:35:17 PM »
Somwhat tangential: yawning is also a great way of defusing a potential fight. Of course, it doesn't work if it's done in a showy, dismissive way, but if you're being threatened by someone who is sizing you up and thinking about possibly picking a fight with you, a quick "stifled yawn" motion will indicate that you are not feeling all that threatened. Which by subconscious extrapolation makes you a potentially troublesome target as you either know how to fight, have friends nearby, are carrying a gun or are just loco enough to not care. Either way, it makes the potential aggressor more likely to move on.
Fear destroys. - Jon Anderson

Offline SecretAgentSuperDragon

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 3
  • Cake or Death?
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2007, 09:55:47 PM »
After looking at the polls, I definitely think it is a relative subject. It will change from person to person. But I know that the source of it is definitely located in the mind.

According to some research, they think it has to do with behavioral transitions.

One fact explains a lot of apparently inconsistent data. People yawn most during behavioral transitions, such as just after waking and shortly before bedtime. Yawning may help facilitate those changes. Contagious yawning may synchronize a group's behavior so that, for instance, a whole family goes to sleep together.

-Discover Magazine

Offline FBX

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2007, 10:34:12 PM »
I think knowing that your testing on whether I yawned or not affected the outcome for me. I made an effort to not give into the power of suggestion and thus didn't yawn. Then about a minute later I finally yawned... but I yawn all the time, so I dont think that would count.