login

Author Topic: Emulation favorites?  (Read 8382 times)

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!
Re: Emulation favorites?
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2007, 09:01:05 AM »
Atari games haven't aged too well have they?

If you ever had "Indian Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark," I STILL don't know what the hell you're supposed to do

well to be fair they were just as confusing back then, for the life of me I will never understand E.T. I seriously have no idea how to play that game

Having finished the game, I can tell you it's not worth your trouble to try.  :)
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline macleod

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2007, 10:23:14 AM »
Wow, I'm impressed, that's one of those games that nobody was ever going to beat. Although emulation makes a lot more possible because you can save everything by frame (which you could never do back in the day)

For example, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (the first one) was virtually unbeatable...I never met anyone who got past level 5...

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3989
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2007, 02:04:46 PM »
Wow, I'm impressed, that's one of those games that nobody was ever going to beat. Although emulation makes a lot more possible because you can save everything by frame (which you could never do back in the day)

For example, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (the first one) was virtually unbeatable...I never met anyone who got past level 5...
Durn Technodrome... :^)

Offline Minnesota

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 4
  • Twins Territory
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2007, 02:33:42 PM »
tmnt the original was absolutely impossible for me... I begged for that game for Christmas and all i got in return was a game that frustrated the hell out of me... tmnt2 more than made up for it though :)

also, I have met people that say they've beaten tmnt, and then I get jeleous with rage ... err respect rather

Offline macleod

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2007, 06:15:53 PM »
Hey, I'll believe it when I see it...

I had a friend that said he beat it...then I asked him to show me...

....the excuses came flying like you wouldn't believe

Offline Steve-O

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 56
    • The Incomparable
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2007, 09:37:48 PM »
I beat E.T. back in the day, and Raiders as well.  I thought Raiders was a terrific game, since it managed to pack many different stages into one tiny cart.  It's difficult to play now because you need two joysticks for it, and you absolutely must have the manual in front of you to know just what the hell is going on.

I thought E.T. was decent, once I figured out how to keep from falling into the damned holes every thirty seconds.  Once you get the hang of it, it becomes kind of a fun little scavenger hunt.

If I had to pick my top three for the 2600, they would have to be Pitfall, Adventure, and Superman.  All three did a pretty remarkable job of transporting you to another world, considering the limitations of the hardware.  And, of course, bonus points to Adventure for inventing the  Easter Egg.

Offline macleod

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2007, 06:21:46 AM »
I beat E.T. back in the day, and Raiders as well.  I thought Raiders was a terrific game, since it managed to pack many different stages into one tiny cart.  It's difficult to play now because you need two joysticks for it, and you absolutely must have the manual in front of you to know just what the hell is going on.

I had the manual, and I still stood there, gaping and slack-jawed...

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2007, 06:37:27 AM »

If I had to pick my top three for the 2600, they would have to be Pitfall, Adventure, and Superman.  All three did a pretty remarkable job of transporting you to another world, considering the limitations of the hardware.  And, of course, bonus points to Adventure for inventing the  Easter Egg.

I never had Superman, and always regretted it.

Unfortunately, the Easter egg is missing form the Atari Anthology version of Adventure:(

Luckily, I've still got a 2600 console.  :)
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2007, 06:40:22 AM »

I had the manual, and I still stood there, gaping and slack-jawed...

That was my major beef with Raiders: the manual left out important and significant information needed for successful gameplay. Unlike today, when game companies do that for the purpose of selling you a $15 "game guide," back then the needed information was simply not available.

- Conan O'Brien

Offline macleod

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2007, 09:14:59 AM »
Although I think a lot of the modern game guides are getting less helpful. I remember back when I had the guide for Final Fantasy III (VI) for SNES, it told you everything there was to know, even the rarities and some of the glitches...

Now, even the massive guides just use all that space to show pictures....