Author Topic: Subtitles  (Read 47006 times)

Offline SmilinJackRoss

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked:
    • Heated Seats iRiffs
Re: Subtitles
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2007, 06:19:00 PM »
Anyone know if there's any forced subs in Star Trek Generations? 
Heated Seats iRiffs: Touched by an Angel | Marked for Death | Runaway | Heated Shorts (shorts collection)

Offline samcleve01

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked:
Re: Subtitles - Fantastic Four
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2007, 07:56:14 PM »
As of Jul-14-2007, I'm getting a file not found error on the link to the Fantastic Four srt.  Doesn't look like a problem on my end; the other links I tried work fine.  Has Fantastic Four been yanked for some reason?

Many thanks to Shinigami for the fine work.

Offline Shinigami

• Big Montana
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2007, 06:00:28 PM »
I have finally made an update to the subtitle list.  I apologize for the long delay, I haven't been able to keep up with a lot of things lately.  I'm also going to write up some subtitle tutorials here since there seems to be people having issues making them work correctly.

Offline Shinigami

• Big Montana
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2007, 06:27:30 PM »
Tutorial:

Updating the CLUT Table

A lot of people have problems with subtitles coming out the wrong color.  This is caused by having an incorrect CLUT table.  The CLUT specifies what colors to displays for subs and is essentially the palette.  The CLUT is contained in your DVDs .ifo files and needs to correspond to the .sup file.

Creating a Good SUP Palette

The easiest way to have a correct CLUT is to have a good palette in your SUP file.  This can be done in Subtitle Creator.  Download the DefaultCLUT.ifo file on the front page of this thread.  Import that file into Subtitle Creator with "File->Open Palette".  This will give you nice white subtitles.  The best part, is if you use muxman, you don't have to do anything else.  Muxman creates its own CLUT and it corresponds to the DefaultCLUT.ifo CLUT.  If you use ifoedit/rejig, you can include the .ifo during the DVD creation process, this will ensure that the palette is correct.  However, if you want to have different colors or have custom SUP files, you're going to have to update the .ifo on your DVD.

Correcting the IFO Palette  (Needed for the Backstroke of the West kit)

If you use ifoedit/rejig, you're in luck, all you have to do is include a .ifo file with the correct palette during the DVD creation process and you are done.  If you create a custom palette in Subtitle Creator, you can create a .ifo with the correct palette with "File->Export palette".  If you use muxman, your life is a bit harder.  After you compile the DVD, open up ifoedit.  Click "Open" at the bottom and select the .ifo with the correct palette.  In the top window, click on "VTS_PGCITI", then the plus expand, then "VTS_PGC_1".  Then in the menu, click "Subtitle Color->Copy Colors from this PGC".  Without closing the program, click "Open" again and select the compiled DVD .ifo file.  Again select "VTS_PGC_1" and click "Subtitle Color->Paste Colors into this PGC".  When that is done, click save in the menu.  Go ahead and replace the .ifo file in the compiled DVD, and click yes when it asks about a BUP file.  You now have a corrected CLUT!  Luckily, you don't have to burn the DVD to see if you did it right.  The program DVDSubEdit will let you view subtitles by opening one of the VOB files.  This is EXTREMELY handy.

Offline David

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2007, 11:24:07 AM »
Where do you even get these .srt files? I wanna make my own if I can cause Next is already out and I'm itching to delete my humungous Spider Man project directory.

Offline Shinigami

• Big Montana
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2007, 07:53:04 PM »
I make them myself using a program called SubRip.  I wasn't able to get any subs for Spider-man unfortunately, and the ones i found online didn't sync up either.  "Next" subtitles should be up soon.

Offline Krendall

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2008, 05:19:03 PM »
Do you have to do anything to force subtitles or do you just add that file in IFOEdit?

Offline Ortega

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked:
    • Ortega's Covers
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2008, 09:44:33 AM »
YOu do have to use IFOEdit.

LOad it up, and open the IFO of the reauthored DVD. In the upper box, click on VTS_PGCITI., which will open up to PCG 1, and click on it.  Scroll down to the precommands.  Its should say "there are no precommands present".  Right click on that, and click "add Precommand".  Now you'll see a precommand with a hex entry.  Click on it, and replace the first group of zeros with 51, and the fifth group with FF.  Then the precommand should say "Forced(on)"

The hex entry should look like this:  [51  00  00  00 ff 00 00 00].

Then click "Get VTS Sectors" then Click Save.

That should do it.

Offline basselope

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked:
  • I wash my socks in soda water so my feet will fizz
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2008, 06:42:53 AM »
Excellent work Shinigami.
I knew basically nothing about this subject until I joined the forum. I'm still a little fuzzy, but your guidance is helping me wade through it.

I haven't seen anyone tracking which movies have forced vs integrated subs. Not that you aren't doing enough work already, but this thread seems the logical place. In fact, I'm still a little unclear as to whether or not LOTR uses forced subs. This thread would seem to indicate that it does not, while this tutorial at Doom9 clearly indicates that it does.
http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/forcedsubs.htm

I'm sure you get sick of the same "Does xxxxxx have forced subs?" questions over and over.... kinda like this one.

Sorry 'bout that.
They only killed half the Dinosaurs... they made the other half watch!

Offline Shinigami

• Big Montana
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2008, 07:14:01 PM »
Sorry for the late response.  Simple answer is, almost none of the movies have forced subs.  The ones that do explicitely have a seperate subtitle file for just the forced subs.  So when in doubt, check my subtitle list on the first page.

Offline CHF01

• Big Montana
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2008, 07:26:17 PM »
YES! X Files subtitles, thanks a million, Shinigami!  :highfive:

Offline OmegaR!

• Big Montana
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2008, 11:51:28 AM »
The X-files subtitles aren't loading on Subtitle Creator,
I've deleted and re-downloaded 3x

Offline Shinigami

• Big Montana
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2008, 12:28:09 PM »
The X-files subtitles aren't loading on Subtitle Creator,
I've deleted and re-downloaded 3x

I tried downloading and loading them myself and they worked without the slightest hitch.  How did you download the file, did you do right click "Save As"?  Does Subtitle Creator give a specific error, what version are you using?

Offline OmegaR!

• Big Montana
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2008, 01:28:55 PM »
I Just clicked on it and it brings up the Download option.. (its worked on other's I've done before)

Subtitle creator says "Error Reading Subtitle number 753"

and I am using Version 1.9.2

Edit:
While downloading and installing the latest version of Subtitle Creator, I was denied and told that
.NET runtime library v2.0 or newer is required you have 1.1.4......

Is this free? if so, where might obtain it?

Also right-clicking and saving as a .srt file had the same results....
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 01:36:07 PM by OmegaRowsdower »

Offline Shinigami

• Big Montana
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2008, 06:33:17 PM »
I Just clicked on it and it brings up the Download option.. (its worked on other's I've done before)

Subtitle creator says "Error Reading Subtitle number 753"

and I am using Version 1.9.2

Edit:
While downloading and installing the latest version of Subtitle Creator, I was denied and told that
.NET runtime library v2.0 or newer is required you have 1.1.4......

Is this free? if so, where might obtain it?

Also right-clicking and saving as a .srt file had the same results....

Sorry about the slow response.

.NET is simply Microsofts take on Java, you can get the latest version here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=0856eacb-4362-4b0d-8edd-aab15c5e04f5&displaylang=en

As for the issue you're having, i would try updating SubtitleCreator first.  There doesn't appear to be anything wrong with the .srt file, and there's absolutely nothing special about line 753.  The file is simply a text file so try opening it in notepad.  The last few lines should read as such

02:02:18,263 --> 02:02:24,471
If you walk out on me...

02:02:24,511 --> 02:02:27,952
I'm walking after...

02:02:27,986 --> 02:02:29,512
you.

I hope that helps.