login

Author Topic: Missed opportunities  (Read 4683 times)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5674
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
Missed opportunities
« on: April 22, 2009, 09:17:40 PM »
Am I the only one who thought Mike (the "nerdy" friend who goes to the prom with the friend with the big boobs) looked a lot like Shia LeBeuf?  I'm surprised there were no riffs on it.

Offline Kenotic

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 4
  • Small and of no account
Re: Missed opportunities
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 09:28:59 PM »
The only missed opportunity I remember right now (other than a little more reflecting on how royally screwed up the concept is and how much of a letdown real life is going to be for the 14 year old girls squeeing over everything) it that they made fun of one song on the soundtrack that was basically a bunch of "AAAhhhh"-ing. Part way in was another song with similar lyrics -- I kind of wished they would have picked up on the trend of wordless, angsty music that was being thrown at us.
I was a student at a small midwestern college....

Offline MSTJedi

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 604
  • In a not too distant future far, far away. . . .
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 10:29:45 PM »
The only missed opportunity I remember right now (other than a little more reflecting on how royally screwed up the concept is and how much of a letdown real life is going to be for the 14 year old girls squeeing over everything) it that they made fun of one song on the soundtrack that was basically a bunch of "AAAhhhh"-ing. Part way in was another song with similar lyrics -- I kind of wished they would have picked up on the trend of wordless, angsty music that was being thrown at us.

Maybe by that point they just wanted to pretend it wasn't there.

Offline PlayMSTie

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 04:53:00 AM »
"THIS IS THE SKIN OF A KILLER!" really needed a riff.
"There are no ordinary people. You have never talked to a mere mortal." C. S. Lewis

Bring back Bridget!

Offline FBX

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 07:34:03 AM »
James looked like a basement dwelling comic book nerd IMO. That could had opened up a lot of material where the riffing was especially weak near the end. Also... no comments on the vampires walking like they are on an moving sidewalk? No comments on the poor special effects?

Actually there was a lot of missed opportunities in this one. I think they had writers block.

Offline PlayMSTie

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 07:55:57 AM »
As far as the special effects, they did have a couple of zingers about the "flying on wires" moments.
"There are no ordinary people. You have never talked to a mere mortal." C. S. Lewis

Bring back Bridget!

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 08:08:47 AM »
I'm disappointed that none of the riffs noticed that Bella's mom is Nina from 24.  Or maybe they did, but that's just so out of date (been 5 years since she was on the show) that it wouldn't have worked anyway.

Offline ShadowDog

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 102
  • Just call me Mr. PIE
    • Indie Movie Blog
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2009, 11:40:20 AM »
You know what's funny about that is that I didn't notice that was her until my THIRD time through the movie, and I'm a huge fan of 24 and of Sarah Clarke.  It's just she has REALLY aged.  Jesus, she's wrecked now.
"Did she just say Chipping?"

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2009, 12:24:09 PM »
You know what's funny about that is that I didn't notice that was her until my THIRD time through the movie, and I'm a huge fan of 24 and of Sarah Clarke.  It's just she has REALLY aged.  Jesus, she's wrecked now.

I thought she looked okay.  I probably wouldn't have noticed except that I saw her name in the credits and kept my eyes open for her the second time.  Her scenes are very brief, her hair is a different color, it always seems to be a closeup when she's on screen.  In 24 she had a lot more screen time and was in wider shots.

Offline ShadowDog

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Just call me Mr. PIE
    • Indie Movie Blog
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2009, 03:24:37 PM »
Yeah, the closeups were another big reason I didn't recognize her.  Good point.

Offline cfkane

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2009, 03:28:18 PM »
"THIS IS THE SKIN OF A KILLER!" really needed a riff.

I've always followed that up with "This is the skin of a 13-year-old-girl's Myspace page!"

I'm just surprised they didn't do a Grey's Anatomy reference when Carlyle first entered. "Dr McSourCreamy" or something.

Offline PlayMSTie

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2009, 03:45:37 PM »
Yeah. You could hear one of the guys (or maybe more than one) sort of chuckle when he appeared, which was pretty eloquent in itself, but a riff would have been even better.

Bring back Bridget!

Offline Raven

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 177
  • Nevermore...
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2009, 05:04:29 PM »
I'm disappointed that none of the riffs noticed that Bella's mom is Nina from 24.  Or maybe they did, but that's just so out of date (been 5 years since she was on the show) that it wouldn't have worked anyway.

I thought we had one in there during on of the phone calls.  It was basically, that you couldn't trust anything she was saying aka her reasoning for not being reachable by Bella. 

Offline ShadowDog

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Just call me Mr. PIE
    • Indie Movie Blog
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2009, 09:11:34 PM »
Huh.  I'll have to listen for that the next time I watch your riff.  It went over my head the first time.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3141
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2009, 02:46:26 PM »
An entire scene with vampires playing baseball, and not one vampire bat joke. :^)