Author Topic: What have we learned?  (Read 22075 times)

Offline Lovye

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 0
  • Always and Forever: Disembaudio Squadio
    • S2*
Re: What have we learned?
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2009, 06:51:11 PM »
Well some of the jokes from both ours and the Ice On Mars guys were almost exactly the same.  So it's not like they went around our material.

If I counted right, you and Official had four ideas at the same time, that is, what you said, they also said around the same point in the movie you said it.  ...Similar references made throughout the Riffs, at different points, though, were much much higher.

Offline Kenotic

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 4
  • Small and of no account
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2009, 10:07:10 PM »
- Vampires have really lousy senses of humor. I'm still amazed they didn't make a crack about "Vampire Bats" while playing baseball.

Argggh!  Missed joke for sure.  Darn.

Must flog myself with metal cilice.

Don't worry, that's a pun so bad that you're exempt. I read the first book -long story- and was thinking that the pseudo-ironic humor (Vegetarian Vampires who only feed off of animals?? How original and witty!!) would have included some comment about Vampire Bats, in between Edward talking about the American Pastime and threatening to snap her neck or something.
I was a student at a small midwestern college....

Offline ManUnderMask

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 151
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2009, 10:59:29 PM »
I learned that a movie doesn't have to be good or have any interesting plot developments or likable characters in order to make a pants load of money.

I learned that Stephanie Meyer (and by association, the Mormons) think hot and steamy passion is bunch of half retarded, glassy eyed looks followed by awkward silence and half mumbled fragmented sentences that don't even come close to forming a complete thought.

I also learned that inverting certain tropes (such as hardcore vampires and coming into a new school as a complete outcast) is a bad idea.

I also learned that you don't have to be a good writer in order to score a four book deal, a movie deal, and a legion of screaming twelve year old fans.

I also learned that the above, however, will get you an official Rifftrax and three iRiffs. That has to be some kind of a record.

I learned that becoming vampire has no drawbacks because everything you'd think would be negatives turns out to be not so bad and you get to become some weird unlikable version of Clark Kent from Smallville.

I learned that if you don't have enough of a budget for decent looking superpowers, for the love of everything decent don't f***ing show them! I hate hate hate! low budget superpowers. Oh look, I'm running because I'm moving my arms and legs in a motion that reminds me of those stupid workout machines! The damn 60s Spider-Man show had better wall crawling and all they did was turn the damn camera sideways!

I confirmed my belief that breasts are awesome.

Oh, and I learned that you can live for years in Arizona and still look whiter than Michael Jackson.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 11:12:37 PM by ManUnderMask »
I survived the San Diego Comic Con 2010 Hall H stabbing.

Offline PlayMSTie

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2009, 05:43:13 AM »
weird unlikable version of Clark Kent from Smallville.

You're being redundant. Clark Kent from Smallville IS weird and unlikable.
"There are no ordinary people. You have never talked to a mere mortal." C. S. Lewis

Bring back Bridget!

Offline ShadowDog

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 102
  • Just call me Mr. PIE
    • Indie Movie Blog
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2009, 06:28:20 AM »
I wouldn't be surprised if they do to avoid taking any jokes or to prevent making it look like they stole a joke.

I doubt they have time.  Plus I'm sure they know we'd understand they're not ripping us off or visa versa.

It reminds me of what one of the Star Wars Expanded Universe authors (I think it was Timothy Zahn) said at DragonCon one year when asked if it pissed him off that Attack of the Clones contradicted what he's previously written in one of his novels about the Clone Wars.  He said something like "The way I see it, George Lucas allowed us to play in his driveway with his shiny, really cool toys.  So I can't really complain if he gets into his top of the line expensive SUV and backs down the driveway and runs over one of his toys that I was in the middle of playing with, can I?"  In other words, rifftrax has done us a really cool favor and allowed us to market and host our derivative work on their website.  So we can't really get mad if their original work sometimes crushes one of the toys we're playing with, can we?  It's not a perfect parallel because we're not expanding on their creative output, but you get what I mean.
"Did she just say Chipping?"

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5896
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2009, 06:35:47 AM »
I wouldn't be surprised if they do to avoid taking any jokes or to prevent making it look like they stole a joke.

I doubt they have time.  Plus I'm sure they know we'd understand they're not ripping us off or visa versa.

It reminds me of what one of the Star Wars Expanded Universe authors (I think it was Timothy Zahn) said at DragonCon one year when asked if it pissed him off that Attack of the Clones contradicted what he's previously written in one of his novels about the Clone Wars.  He said something like "The way I see it, George Lucas allowed us to play in his driveway with his shiny, really cool toys.  So I can't really complain if he gets into his top of the line expensive SUV and backs down the driveway and runs over one of his toys that I was in the middle of playing with, can I?"  In other words, rifftrax has done us a really cool favor and allowed us to market and host our derivative work on their website.  So we can't really get mad if their original work sometimes crushes one of the toys we're playing with, can we?  It's not a perfect parallel because we're not expanding on their creative output, but you get what I mean.
I think that it more a case of, these guys have long since proven that they don't NEED to steal jokes. They are more than talented enough and decent human beings that they wouldn't stoop so low. So in the case that their joke is similar or the same as an iRiff should be taken as a compliment that "great minds think alike".

Offline PlayMSTie

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2009, 06:52:05 AM »

How could they know that for certain? Lawsuits have been started over less. And when you get right down to it, they don't know any of us that well. We're fans/message board posters, not their bosom buddies.

Anyway, it's true that listening to someone else's take on the same subject can seriously hamper your creativity. I've been writing weekly reviews of "Little Dorrit" on PBS. There's another Web reviewer doing the same thing whose work I really like, but I never read her reviews until after I finish my own, so that her perspective doesn't mess with mine until I've given my own unadulterated take on it.
"There are no ordinary people. You have never talked to a mere mortal." C. S. Lewis

Bring back Bridget!

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2383
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2009, 07:17:28 AM »

How could they know that for certain? Lawsuits have been started over less. And when you get right down to it, they don't know any of us that well. We're fans/message board posters, not their bosom buddies.

Anyway, it's true that listening to someone else's take on the same subject can seriously hamper your creativity. I've been writing weekly reviews of "Little Dorrit" on PBS. There's another Web reviewer doing the same thing whose work I really like, but I never read her reviews until after I finish my own, so that her perspective doesn't mess with mine until I've given my own unadulterated take on it.

That's been my philosophy on riffmaking so far.  If I riff something that someone else has already riffed (only happened once so far) I finish my own script, then watch the other riff to see if there's anything too close to their work in my script, then either cut it or replace it.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline ManUnderMask

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 151
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2009, 07:22:04 AM »
You're being redundant. Clark Kent from Smallville IS weird and unlikable.

I don't even call him Clark Kent (not that I've ever seen an episode) because without flight he's just an over powered Flash.
I survived the San Diego Comic Con 2010 Hall H stabbing.

Offline ShadowDog

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Just call me Mr. PIE
    • Indie Movie Blog
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2009, 08:15:48 AM »

You're right, I shouldn't speak for them.  But personally, I prefer to assume that everyone I meet is on the up and up and not trying to screw me or other people.  If and when they prove me wrong by stabbing me in the back, then I take action and/or think badly of them.  But until then, it's easier and less stressful to assume people aren't douchebags even though some inevitably are.

As far as a lawsuit, that's fucking silly.  Can somebody file one over something like this?  Will that person get laughed out of court given the overall circumstance?  Um, yeah.

Offline PlayMSTie

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2009, 11:49:43 AM »
Very likely, yes -- but weird things happen in the legal world sometimes!

Bring back Bridget!

Offline Tyrant

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 71
  • 2007-11 Satanic Humanitarian Award Winner
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2009, 11:16:30 AM »
I learned that there's going to be an entire generation of people that will be wondering what the hell they were thinking in 5-10 years. Especially the ones having to take the fake fangs out for job interviews.

I learned that Bella needs to become a Slayer so that it can be a more obvious ripoff of Buffy/Angel to everyone.

I learned that making your vampires sparkle in the sun may be the laziest and lamest way to not have your vampires burst into flames at inconvinient times in your Buffy/Angel ripoff novel.

I would say that I learned that nearly all tweens and some teens have terrible, terrible taste in....well, everything. But we already knew that.

Seriously......sparkling in the sun? Seriously?

Offline MSTJedi

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 604
  • In a not too distant future far, far away. . . .
    • Facebook
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2009, 06:39:47 PM »
Yeah, I liked Edward better when he was played by David Boreanaz . . . and Bella was played by Sarah Michelle Gellar . . . and she was actually funny and attractive . . . and kicked ass.

Offline ShadowDog

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Just call me Mr. PIE
    • Indie Movie Blog
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2009, 07:39:22 PM »
I dunno guys.  Can it really be considered a Buffy ripoff if every vampire is a total puss and the female protag is a wet dishtowel?

Offline Tyrant

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 71
  • 2007-11 Satanic Humanitarian Award Winner
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2009, 10:29:08 PM »
Well, let's see...

Angel: Moody, hopeless romantic vampire. Hates self. In forbidden romance with Buffy. Kicks ass.

Buffy: Insecure, pretty teenage girl. In forbidden romance with Angel. Kicks ass.

Edward: Moody, hopeless romantic vampire. Hates self. In forbidden romance with Bella. Wuss.

Bella: Insecure pretty teenage girl. In forbidden romance with Edward. Wuss.

So in order for it not to be a total ripoff, the author made the characters wussies. You've still got the same basic formula, though. Vampire + teenage girl= forbidden romance. Ergo, similar enough and Buffy/Angel did it first. There's nothing original in the series. Except for the sparkling on which we all pretty much agree is ridiculous.