Author Topic: Disembodio Sync Line #1 is Holdover from Empire Strikes Back  (Read 6047 times)

Offline BadServo

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 0
    • BadServo's Domain
Disembodio Sync Line #1 is Holdover from Empire Strikes Back
« on: April 21, 2009, 04:20:10 PM »
Was just syncing up my newly purchased Twilight riff when I noticed that the first Disembodio line seems strangely familiar.  Someone's a lil' trigger happy with the cut n' paste.  ^_^

Offline MSTJedi

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 604
  • In a not too distant future far, far away. . . .
    • Facebook
Re: Disembodio Sync Line #1 is Holdover from Empire Strikes Back
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 01:34:10 PM »
Noticed that myself. I just edited it with the real line "Seems like a good way to go." Easy enough solution. Everything else is spot on. Except for my reauthor, anyway.

I'm having to almost start all over (aside from edits I made to the Rifftrax file) and go with a different source for my video and audio. I tried using AnyDVD, but it didn't work in removing the insane delay on the audio, so I'm going to try another way that involves DVDFlick.

Offline BadServo

• Blue Beer Drinker
    • BadServo's Domain
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 01:42:47 PM »
Yeah, I certainly wasn't pissed or anything, jsut thought it was mildly amusing.  ^_^

Right now, my current method for Riffs (which seems to be working pretty well) is as follows:

-Rip DVD to HDD as an ISO using AnyDVD's built-in ripper.
-Mount ISO with Virtual CloneDrive.
-Used Nero Recode to convert the main movie to an h.264 file with the original audio and 1 alternate audio  (used as place holder).
-When complete, I use yamb to extract the AAC file from the mp4 file that contains the original audio.
-I then use VLC to convert the AAC stream to WAV.
-I import the WAV and Riff into Audacity to sync, normalize, amplify, trim, and duck.
-Export as a variable bitrate mp3.
-Load original mp4 file and newly created mp3 file into MKVMerge.
-Selecting the video, original audio, and synced riff audio streams, I export my completed Rifftrax file.

I'm sure there are probably much faster/easier methods.  But this allows my to use tools that I generally have installed already and have a nice multi-audio file.  I can optionally include additional subtitles or commentaries.  For instance I include the Kevin Smith commentary from the Roadhouse Deluxe DVD.  Nero seems to do a good jobs of keeping sync properly.  The only downside to using mkv as the final container is that standalone devices and mainstream software hate it.  Makes converting to DVD for a party viewing a pain in the ass.

Offline MSTJedi

• Climbed El Capitan
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 01:56:10 PM »
Well, my normal modus operandi is this:

DVDFab to rip movie to hard drive
SmartRipper to demux video and audio 
Delaycut on ac3 file if needed, otherwise skip it
Ac3Tool to convert ac3 to wav
GoldWave to edit movie (match volume) and Rifftrax file (remove synch lines)
GoldWave Voice Over plugin to merge Rifftrax with movie wav
ffmpeg GUI to convert Rifftrax/movie wav to ac3
MuxMan to remux video, audio, and subtitle (made with Subtitle Creator)
DVDShrink to convert to ISO and shrink, if necessary.
DVD Decrypter to burn to disc.

Unfortanately, the Twilight disc has some insane protection that doesn't kick in until you try to demux the video and audio. Otherwise, the ripped movie plays fine. By obtaining an avi of the movie, I hope to use DVDFlick to create a DVD image that I can use to demux using DVD Decrypter and then otherwise follow my normal process.

Offline BadServo

• Blue Beer Drinker
    • BadServo's Domain
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 02:03:45 PM »
I might expiriment a bit with your method as well.  I'd much prefer to keep the original MPEG-2 video stream since that will retain the best quality and drastic cut down on processing time.  But my previous attempts to do things that way gave me alot of A/V sync issues as you describe.

Good luck, mate.

Offline MSTJedi

• Climbed El Capitan
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 02:13:55 PM »
Oh well, at least I have an Independence Day Rifftrax to work on while I'm waiting for my avi. Since it's an older DVD, I don't forsee any big problems that my current software can't handle.

Offline Ortega

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 33
    • Ortega's Covers
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 02:27:25 PM »
here's my method, which might alleviate whatever problems you're having.  I suggest using AnyDVD.  Its a program that runns in yiour system tray and it breaks the copy protection right after you put the disc in the drive.  Its worth it, and it gets constantly updated.

Method:
DVD Decrypter to demux the Audio and Video, with AnyDVD running in the background.
delaycut to fix any delays
Besweet with the besweetGUI to convert to .WAV
Audacity to edit and remove the sync lines
Goldwave to combine the movie and riff with the Goldwave Voice-Over plug-in.
ffmpeg to convert the WAV to AC3
the Rejig or IFOedit to recompile the DVD
Then DVDShrink  and burn with DVDDecrypter.

I also make a subtitle track and i also make a 5.1 surround track, but that's pretty complicated.

AnyDVD. Its worth it.

Offline MSTJedi

• Climbed El Capitan
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 02:44:46 PM »
Yeah, the subtitle can be a big headache all by itself. My problem is that I no longer have the original DVD and was trying to work with files I'd already ripped using DVDFab. Maybe since not all the protection was there on the ISO I made from the files, AnyDVD wasn't working right. So I'm gonna have to go with what I can get at this point without shelling more money out to rent that crapfest again, an avi file. In the future, I might need to use AnyDVD again, though, if this sort of protection becomes the norm and DVDFab doesn't do anything about it.

Offline qlopp

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009, 03:23:58 PM »

AnyDVD. Its worth it.

Agreed.  One time payment, regular updates, it just works.

Offline Raven

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 177
  • Nevermore...
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2009, 08:50:12 PM »
The AnyDVD by itself didn't stop the massive delay.  I had to use the Clonedvd with AnyDVD running to burn a full sized ISO without Demuxing and mount the new ISO and then Demux that with AnyDVD still running.  This disk was a pain in the ass.  Thanks to MrTorso for the leg work on that too.

Offline Artie

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 293
  • The strongest man.... in the world!
    • The Film Monger
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2009, 10:18:51 PM »
I didn't have any problems with the disc

Here's my process

ReJig to demux audio and video streams
Ciler's AC3 Tool to convert ac3 to wav (this program does the job of multiple one - delay correction, converting from 6 channel to 2 channel audio to match the riff, and normalizing any loud parts of the movie)
Goldwave with Voice Over to sync the audio tracks
ffmpeg to convert to wav to ac3
ReJig or IfoEdit to compile dvd (good to have both, sometimes one may not work)
dvd shrink to create ISO
CloneDVD2 to burn the disc

And of course AnyDVD 
Yet another movie website - www.filmmonger.com

Offline MSTJedi

• Climbed El Capitan
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2009, 10:28:34 PM »
I didn't have any problems with the disc

Here's my process

ReJig to demux audio and video streams
Ciler's AC3 Tool to convert ac3 to wav (this program does the job of multiple one - delay correction, converting from 6 channel to 2 channel audio to match the riff, and normalizing any loud parts of the movie)
Goldwave with Voice Over to sync the audio tracks
ffmpeg to convert to wav to ac3
ReJig or IfoEdit to compile dvd (good to have both, sometimes one may not work)
dvd shrink to create ISO
CloneDVD2 to burn the disc

And of course AnyDVD 

My process is very similar, so I think my trip up was not having AnyDVD when I originally ripped the DVD files. I'll try it with an avi and see if they were able to get rid of all the protection in the avi creation process. If not, I'll have to just bite the bullet and rent Twilight again.

UPDATE:
I have the avi now and realized that you can add audio and subtitles to the movie in DVDFlick, so I'm going to try opening the avi audio in GoldWave, mixing it with the Rifftrax with GW's Voice Over plugin, and then adding that audio in DVDFlick so it will do all the work. The only drawback is that the chapters won't be the same as the original DVD, but it's a small price to pay if this works.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 10:50:38 AM by MSTJedi »

Offline ShadowDog

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 102
  • Just call me Mr. PIE
    • Indie Movie Blog
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2009, 11:30:37 AM »
NERRRRRRRRDS!!!!

Sorry, there are just too many people smarter than me in this thread right now!
"Did she just say Chipping?"

Offline MSTJedi

• Climbed El Capitan
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2009, 04:54:08 PM »
Well, I got it all finished and it worked pretty well. The only hitch is that the subs I used have italics coding that apparently wasn't translated by DVDFlick, so the code turns up in the subs on the movie. It took over 3 hours to process, so I'm not about to go through it all over again to fix it.

Offline Shinigami

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2009, 11:51:11 AM »
I used DVDFab to rip the DVD and DVD Decrypter to get the audio and video streams.

I also got the audio out of sync, but I manually re-synced it using delaycut. i found the real amount the audio is off by using VirtualDubMod. I import the video, then use the Streams to add the AC3 audio. This way I can accurately play the audio and video together and have frame accurate scrolling. Then I found an audio and video cue to sync up, I used Bella's dad slamming on the car.  Then I find the time difference of the audio and video cue and use that value to correct in delaycut. Re-import audio in VirtualDub to see that conversations sync up well enough, and i'm done. I had to manually sync the subtitles too, pretty similar method using Subtitle Workshop.  You have to convert the audio to WAV before you can import into Subtitle Workshop though.

FYI, the delay I used to correct the audio was 2500 ms. Your mileage may vary.